• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skip Loaders.......

RyanCKing

thanks tigerotor
Thats must of what i have seen. To me it is a good alternative to a wheel loader of comparable size for doing dirtwork. I don't think it would be very competitive when just used for loading.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
When I moved out west I had no idea what a skiploader was looked like a tractor with a boxblade to me. I think the Cats are smaller than the 416, I have seen a few I think there setuplike the Deeres.

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
I saw this tractor at the same press event where Cat introduced the E Series backhoe loaders. Here are the quick specs . . .

Engine Model Cat 3054C DINA 74 net hp
Cat 3054C DIT 80 net hp

Operating Weight 11,376 lbs
Normal w/Box 13,960 lbs

Hyd Pump Closed Center 37 GPM @ 2200rpm

Loader 1-1.25 Cubic Yards
Lift Capacity 5,300
Dump Height 8'4"

Transport Height 9'1"
Transport Length 23'1"

Looks like that 22.5-degree seat angle might help quite a bit with the tractor neck, but I don't know this machine category that well. Might be it's on other manufacturers' machines, too.

Cat's the first in the market using pilot hydraulic controls in the loader.

They claim superior weight/drawbar pull. Seems like the 416D is heavier than many in the same horsepower range, but I haven't had a chance to do a careful comparison.

ADios

9420pullpan

i have herd from a reliable source that the Cat skip loader is underpowered. and the deere 210le would run circles around them.........

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
9420, I think a lot of Deere equipment might be able to do that [, unfortunately]. (I'm a Cat guy. :))

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
well , what do you know?!?! i am cruising down what used be a narrow cow trail of a road on the west side of phoenix.(it is now a six lane monster w/ housing going up like crazy on both sides. ) anyways i come to an intersection that is just alive of construction activity. i have planned on doing a lil pictorial about it.
what do you know , a jd skip loader. it was helping the blade man get a small chunk of street ready for asphalt.
anyways i dont like the way they left it parked. well i was very lucky to have my camera on me w/ fresh set of batteries.lol

Attachments

• tue afternoon drive 138 (6).jpg
    tue afternoon drive 138 (6).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2,167
Last edited:

hillrancher

Occupation
owner
44 you can see that this operator stayed awake at operators school.

In my part of the earth there would be an winch on it dragging it out of a hollow.

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
:nono i am glad i am not the only one that thought boy there is quite the safety violation. actually where is the common sense at???

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Ya that is a no no, but at least it a Deere and most likely it ain't going anywhere. We have several skips for support and I see **** like that all of the time. And I really hate to see guys run them constantly with the bucket in the air like that. I have seen several temporary power lines knocked down and had to roll a few skips back over after they drove onto uneven ground and forgot the bucket was up.

keerym

Cat's new 414E Skip Loader

Here is a picture of Cat's new 414E skip loader that will be hitting dealers in the southwest this fall. Much imporved controls over the D model, and the 3 point hitch has been brought in closer to the chassis to make the machine shorter and more manueverable. As far as power goes, it has the same engine as the 416. 74 HP standard with a Turbo 89 HP optional. Should be plenty of power to pull a box blade.

Attachments

• 414E Skip Loader.JPG
    414E Skip Loader.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 7,290

334 lawn co

Occupation
surplusonthe.net equipment auctions
anybody else notice the pintle on the box blade?sorry to hijack your pic farmerted.
i guess its a good idea. although i dont think i would ever do that to my blade., but hey, why not use a farm tractor with blade like we do? stronger parts on the industrial machines?

Attachments

• tue%20afternoon%20drive%20138%20%286%29.jpg
    tue%20afternoon%20drive%20138%20%286%29.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 3,013
  • DVC00072 (Small).JPG
    DVC00072 (Small).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,643
Last edited:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
334 lawn co said:
anybody else notice the pintle on the box blade?sorry to hijack your pic farmerted.
i guess its a good idea. although i dont think i would ever do that to my blade., but hey, why not use a farm tractor with blade like we do? stronger parts on the industrial machines?

Some of there are just that, but with the Deere you can actually lift the rear tires off the ground with the blade you ain't going to do that with a standard 3 point. Lots of guys run hitches on there blade, I don't think there much it any stronger.

334 lawn co

Occupation
i figured that and when i took a closer look i saw the hydro to put downpressure on the blade. so... i figure i can see the advantages.

Jeff D.

I know most don't, but some of the farm tractor three points can have the lift links replaced with solid links and then they'll have down pressure (if they have double acting rams). I've run some old Fords that had, and my Farmall has down pressure on the three point.

Sure makes it nice when you bury them in the field. You can use it to lift the back tires up out of the hole, throw some wood underneith the tires(repeat a couple times maybe), and off you go.

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
no problem with using the pic guys. actually didnt notice the pintle hitch welded to the box scraper.
we have the same mounted on our 140G,D8T,and D8N ripper bars.
we are able to pull everything from our welders,pressure washers,all the way up to our truck tipper!
my camera is broke or i would post some pics.

334 lawn co

Occupation
on our new holland, the other day i noticed a ram that pushes out on the top 3 point hitch link. is this what this could be?ill post a pic of it later when i get home.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
334 The LL Landscape or skip loaders are a little bit heavier built than a farm or utility tractor. They have down pressure as well as a float to. and they also have a hydraulic top line and both arms on the 3 point have a cylinder for tilt, and the box has a set of hydraulic rippers.. they work wonders. Lots of paving crews use them. My old 75 Ford Industrial LB has a quick hitch no pto thats used to hold the hoe on but it had a boxblade set up available.
They do get old looking back all the time A friend worked for a shop and I helped a bit take one and make the steering wheel offset with the seat at a 45 degree angle to make it easier to use. It really helped a lot. to use the loader you pulled a lever and rotated the seat back forward. Case JD Ford and MF,and IH all made these and Cat just now joined and along with Terex wel lthat was MF at one time. I think Cats earier Versions were done by a company Called Fox they modified several Cat 416's to make LL loaders and small 7 yard elevating scrapers.

Dualie

The reason behind skip loaders is SPEED. You can really cover some ground banging on a skip loader. There shuttle shift so you can Really make some time up rough grading with the box blade then slow it down to finish grade.

Mostly paving and grading contractors use em. I haven't seen a "paving spread" that didn't have a skip loader in its roster for a long time. Most all the ones around here have a 4-in-1 bucket on the front.

The pintle on the back of the gannon is for moving around the "ant eaters" the weird conveyor that picks the asphalt up off the ground and feeds it into the paver. "anteaters" do not have power to the wheels, just power for feeder functions.