• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skid steer solutions VS. mclaren nu-air flat proof tire which is better

Randy88

They don't make skid steer tires in 17.5 size that I'm needing though but thanks for the imput, I've never heard of them before, by the name your using I'd guess your associated with the company. Do they plan on making anything in 17.5 tires anytime soon.

HillBoy

They don't make skid steer tires in 17.5 size that I'm needing though but thanks for the imput, I've never heard of them before, by the name your using I'd guess your associated with the company. Do they plan on making anything in 17.5 tires anytime soon.

I'm pretty sure McLaren makes the 14x17.5 NuAir tires. But you better call them up to confirm. I would image they won't be cheap, though. Good luck! :usa

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
I have purchase 2 sets of McLaren tracks and loved them, will purchase again. I no experience with no flat tires sorry

dumpchuck

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
We bought a set of Mclaren tires for our 763 Bobcat a little over a year or so ago. They have held up quite well so far although it has not had a whole lot of hours put on it. When we originally bought the machine, we foam filled the stock tires and they were shot by the time the machine had around 900 hours on it. The machine is primarily used for clean up duties around an Eagle Rock crusher, so it encounters a lot of rock, mud, and ocasional re-bar. We also run loegering over tire tracks on it.

ClawdaddyRich

Occupation
Sales Manager
That I am aware of 3 companies make a solid 14x17.5.
Brawler makes a molded on tire. The tire has a soft ride but the tire is molded to a 22 inch rim so when you wear it out you throw it out. Not great for the environment and not great for you because you always buy the wheel. The plus is many people I have spoken to really like the tire.
Mclaren also makes a tire, that goes on a demountable 20 inch rim. Also a soft ride but with an ability to put new tires on old wheels the price should go down with subsequent purchases.
Forklift Tires Inc also sells a tire on a demountable 20 inch rim. I do not have personal experience with this tire in this size but would expect it to perform similarly.
Toby Sexton Tire can also sell you an aircraft retread that will fit the bill. It is not guaranteed flat free, but it is as close to flat free as you can get without being so. Hope this helps

HillBoy

That I am aware of 3 companies make a solid 14x17.5.
Brawler makes a molded on tire. The tire has a soft ride but the tire is molded to a 22 inch rim so when you wear it out you throw it out. Not great for the environment and not great for you because you always buy the wheel. The plus is many people I have spoken to really like the tire.
Mclaren also makes a tire, that goes on a demountable 20 inch rim. Also a soft ride but with an ability to put new tires on old wheels the price should go down with subsequent purchases.
Forklift Tires Inc also sells a tire on a demountable 20 inch rim. I do not have personal experience with this tire in this size but would expect it to perform similarly.
Toby Sexton Tire can also sell you an aircraft retread that will fit the bill. It is not guaranteed flat free, but it is as close to flat free as you can get without being so. Hope this helps

The 10" and 12" Nu-Air tires we have from McLaren are both with 16 inch rims, not 20 inch. However, we used to run Bullman flat proof tires before and they came with 20 inch rims. The 14" Nu-Air tires do come with 20" rims, as they are much larger tires.

The 4 inch narrower rims on the Nu-Air means there is more space for the cushioned rubber tire, and this explains why the Nu-Air has more cushioning and lasts longer than the other flat proof tires on the market, plus their superior rubber compound of course. At least, this is what we have found out so far by using several brand tires...

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The 10" and 12" Nu-Air tires we have from McLaren are both with 16 inch rims, not 20 inch. However, we used to run Bullman flat proof tires before and they came with 20 inch rims. The 14" Nu-Air tires do come with 20" rims, as they are much larger tires.

The 4 inch narrower rims on the Nu-Air means there is more space for the cushioned rubber tire, and this explains why the Nu-Air has more cushioning and lasts longer than the other flat proof tires on the market, plus their superior rubber compound of course. At least, this is what we have found out so far by using several brand tires...

I have been mulling this over for 6 months now and have finally reached the end of my patience. I sent a couple of emails one to Clawdaddy but have not heard anything. I found a tire that looks identical to Skid Steer Solutions but at a better price. I maybe stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime, guess we'll see. With McLaren having the press on replacements I can replace with those if necessary. I am hoping they can be retreaded when the time comes.

I have had two flats in the last two days, of course on the back tires. I have continually had issues with bending rims in tough rocky conditions which is everywhere here. I will have a set purchased by mid week.

HillBoy

I have been mulling this over for 6 months now and have finally reached the end of my patience. I sent a couple of emails one to Clawdaddy but have not heard anything. I found a tire that looks identical to Skid Steer Solutions but at a better price. I maybe stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime, guess we'll see. With McLaren having the press on replacements I can replace with those if necessary. I am hoping they can be retreaded when the time comes.

I have had two flats in the last two days, of course on the back tires. I have continually had issues with bending rims in tough rocky conditions which is everywhere here. I will have a set purchased by mid week.

I'm not sure you'll be able to put Nu-Air rimless tires on some other tire brand rims. I think they may be somewhat tire specific, but you better call them direct to find out.

Yes, the Nu-Air can be retreaded. Here is a picture of some retreads...

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 4,691

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I'm not sure you'll be able to put Nu-Air rimless tires on some other tire brand rims. I think they may be somewhat tire specific, but you better call them direct to find out.

I ended up with the Nu Airs from McLaren. I got them within close range of SPW industries. Their tire looks identical to skid steer solutions tire.

I got an email back from Clawdaddy. They are expensive as well. My issue with them is how narrow the tire is (just over 9"). My 465 weighs almost 10K and really the 12X16.5 is too small for the weight. So price aside its too narrow for my application and then there is the issue of running tracks with that tire. Its a killer looking tire but not for me.

Actually had SPW not messed around I would have bought theirs.

At any rate, its McLaren I hope they perform like they say they will.

dmaxpower

Where can a guy get this done and what does it cost?

HillBoy

Thanks for the info. We tried a company out of NJ and had good luck also. They don't have 14x17.5 for our Cat 272C but we put 12x16.5's on and they worked great.

Hi, can you reuse the rims and put new tires on them once you wear out the original tires?