• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skid steer controls??

wilddanz71

I will soon be looking for a skid steer. I have used a CAT skid steer, and loved the way the controls were all in joysticks. My question is, what other brands use a simular design joystick controls? to me it dose not make much sense to controll the bucket functions with your feet, seems like you would have much more controll with your hands!! Now this is just my opinion. any recomendations on a joystick controled machine would be great!!!

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Nearly all of the manufacturers at least offer joysticks as an option, and you have a choice of patterns on some. New Holland, Bobcat, Case, Volvo, Komatsu and I believe John Deere all offer joysticks in their machines. My personal preference is Cat, I've found their controls to be smoother and more precise which leads to better production. I have to admit though it's been a few years since I've run some of the other machines and there may have been improvements since then.

mudmaker

I would stay away from the deere joysticks from what I have heard. According the a local salesman they are still working the bugs out of them. We demoed one in November. The thing was terribly jumpy! I never could get use to it.

It all seems to be personal preference when it comes to skid controls. They all accomplish the same goal, just depends on what you get use to. For me I love my Case controls!!

MXZ

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out the Deere. They changed the calibration procedure late last fall and it's totally different than the initial run. From what I was told, any of the early build units can be updated. Anything beats the 2 second delay (seems like) and unpredictability of the Bobcat joysticks. Had to spend a couple days in a s250 last fall. I've never been so p***ed at a machine in my life.

wilddanz71

I am looking for a used skidsteer. So NEW stuff isnt an option. I realy want a CAT, But any good machine with good power and joysticks will do. I saw a used 06 GEHL on the side of the rode today, the thing was HUGE I mean HUGE, not sure the model, but they wanted 36K for it. that is way over my budget. I would like to spend 15K-20K

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
What are you looking to do with the machine? Most machines relatively low-hour, used machines will have decent controls, so the "right fit" may be more of what you want to do than what joysticks you'll want to have.

CEM

Occupation
State Prison
I love Gehl T bar controls. The only time I think I would rather have the joysticks is when I am driving it down the road very far.

DragNut

I work for a equipment rental house and have driven just about all of the brands out there and i personally thing that a Gehl skid steer with joystick control and rubber tracks is your best bet, also Takuchu is the company that makes all the Gehl track skid steers (just a different color) so if you can find one of those they are also very good machines and very easy to operate.

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
I have 2 Bobcat T300 and I prefer the hand controls. I also have a bobcat A220 with joy stick, I really don't like joy stick controls. The reason I don't like the joy stick controls is I like to be able to feel how much power I'm putting to the drive motors by pushing on the levers, IMHO I don't get that same feel from the joy sticks. I also feel that in close in areas (working around foundations) to me it feels like there is a slight lag in and or jerkyness with starting an stopping. These are just my opinions I'm sure others have different experiences.

Bully

Love CAT joystick controls, hand+feet Bobcat controls. Old Case mechanical over hydros are ok, but the electric over hyro is a bit too touchy for me. Gehl has an E over H Case style control, but I was told by the salesmen the hoses can be rerouted(2 I think) to run in CAT control as opposed to Case. The 7800 Gehl is a beast, the first time i ran the bucket up all the way I didn't think it was going to stop. 12' reach or something like that. Impressive.

CAT steering stick is really dependant on running the throttle full tilt, and can be a little hesitant. If it has a throttle lever and footpedal, I use the foot pedal only when getting in the tight spots. Carrying material or grading I use the lever and go balls out.

petepolaris500

Buying a skid steer

Hey guys,

I need some advise. I want to replace my tractor with a skid steer. I use it for removing snow, fire wood, lifting large logs, clearing brush lots, and misc lifting and dirt removal/digging. I do not have any tight areas to worry about, and would like a larger machine. I have looked at the Gehl 7600/7800, bobcat 863/873/963, case 90xt/95xt, NH LS190/LX985 and was wondering which would be the best built and most reliable machine to buy. I am sure they all are large enough for what I want to do so I not worried about performance as much as quality.

Thanks.

trackhead101

I'd say you should at least look at a Cat unit , whether you want new or used. There are some tremendous deals out there right now on used Cat skid steer loaders.

Dissident

I am new to this forum but not new to operating skidsteers. I have had extensive experience with all of the control types. I absolutely despise foot controls on Bobcats... especially on rough terrain. It seems like you're trying to do too much and there is no payoff.

The battle, as it seems, is between the Cat and Case controls. The conversion from a Case to Cat controls is very easy... the conversion from Cat to Case controls can be frustrating. As for ease of operation you should really prefer the Cat controls simply because you can drink coffee in the morning while you drive. Case requires both of your hands at all times. With both you can do a good job of anything though... I just find Cat to be much easier to work with. That said, I am operating a Cat 272C set to Case controls (my company did that... not me. I would change it back if I could).

There was another question about which machine to buy. i don't know anything about Gehl... but avoid the New Holland for now. They are hard to work on with no pay off. A Case 95XT is a nice machine if you don't plan to do any major work but most of the ones you find will be older and with less power. If you want a powerful machine, look into the Case 465. Can I say, OMG? These machines have tremendous lift, they are not long but still back heavy, their quick attach is a dream, and it's easy to maintain for the most part (except for the air filter placement is awkward). A problem with these machines is that the Air Conditioner doesn't last... the hoses in the back kink and rub. They blow...

As I mentioned earlier, I run a Cat 272C right now. The talk about their cabs being sealed is true. No dust gets in. Just be careful with the door though because the glass is kinda easy to break (I've broken a couple doors... at $1400 a pop that's not cheap). The AC is awesome, the quick attach is good, some of the nipples are awkward to get to, BUT the air ride seat and the joysticks are worth all of that trouble I think. One other problem we had with this machine is that dirt tended to roll behind the bucket in the middle... and there was a spot for it to sit nicely. Quite annoying. My mechanic built a plate to cover that up to avoid unnecessary trouble like that though.

ok this got too long. I hope it helps.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
How do you find the 272C compared to the 465? Overall, if you hadn't run the 465 (to have a comparison to the 272C), what are your impressions of the 272C's performance?

Dissident

It's a good question. When I went from the 465 to the 272C I wasn't convinced that the Cat was a better machine. Now that I've logged a thousand hours on the Cat, I can say that I much prefer it for many reasons. First, the power difference is negligible. Second, there is NO replacement for a nice luxurious cab (air ride seats, AC, cup holder, better joy sticks, and MUCH MUCH quieter machine than the 465). That's actually an important point. The 465 you need ear protection... the Cat is so quiet. The cab is SO nice... and the windows still slide. The Cat's bucket is further ahead too so you can see better what you're doing but it's a bit longer a machine. I work in some tight areas but the Cat still gets around quite nicely so it's not a problem. (also, cat control are easier)

The Case 465's controls are stiffer, the AC is problematic in my exp, the cab is not sealed and the windows get gummed up easily. It's loud, but very powerful. I would say it has a bit more power than the Cat. On the plus side for the Case, they have mastered the ride control for this machine. It is a dream. If the Cat had a ride control system like this it wouldn't even be a contest...and of course it's case controls (up to your preference)

Don't get me wrong. Both are very very nice machines for different reasons. If it all came down to it, I like the Cat 272C better. Does that help?

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
It does. I've always been under the impression that the 272C couldn't quite keep up with a good 3,000+ ROC SSL, and your impressions (especially since you have both set up as H-style controls) help support that. :)

That being said, glad you like the 272C!

JDSKIDSTEER

I would stay away from the deere joysticks from what I have heard. According the a local salesman they are still working the bugs out of them. We demoed one in November. The thing was terribly jumpy! I never could get use to it.

It all seems to be personal preference when it comes to skid controls. They all accomplish the same goal, just depends on what you get use to. For me I love my Case controls!!

Deere offers , Cat Style, Case Style and foot control.

MXZ

I've run both the Cat C series and the Deere E/H controls. I'd say they're about a horse apiece. I do like the smoothness when turning better on the Deere. They speed up the outside wheels/track instead of slowing down the inside. Takes the jolt out of the machine when turning. Only negative I saw with the Deere is that you have to have a lot of throttle to get ground speed, which isn't that big of deal I guess if you're running with the foot throttle. Either one is miles ahead of BC's joysticks IMO.