• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid Steer Burned Up

searcyfarms

good idea to watch for that - anyone have any thoughts on a 450 vs 465 case? pros/cons ? are they descent machines?

Welder Dave

Glad you made it out. That's pretty scary. Did you figure out what caused the fire? I think I read on this site awhile ago that certain Cat skid steers were more prone to fires. For cutting like you are I wonder if it would be feasible to set up a fire suppression system on the machine? Running the cutter likely has the oil at max operating temperature.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The 450 and 465 are very strong machines. The 465 has a lot more lift capacity, the 450 will cycle a lot faster. Both weigh around 10K, 85Hp great hyd. performance. If you can find a Series 3 machine you will get pilots and a better cab. The cab in the original 400 series is not great. The controls are servo assisted and are actually quite good. As far as HD, I don't think there is a machine built then or since then that used as much steel as they did on those.

searcyfarms

hmmm interesting - well maybe I can find something like that - I think I like the looks of the 465 better, I am not wild about that funky bucket tilt linkage on the 450 that looks like it might be in the way or when u roll something up over the top of the bucket?

do they have good leverage to push/pull yourself if you get in a muddy predicament and have to push/pull yourself out? I have had to do that before and got myself out backwards and forwards by chaining to a tree and a tractor once.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I’ve done the chain to a tree thing to pull myself out with the 450 and it worked good. I have a set of OTT for the 450 and they work great in the mud.

The 450 is a radial lift and the 445/465 is a vertical lift. This is reason for the difference in the loader arms.

searcyfarms

ok I think I figured it out, my former skid steers have been radial lift it sounds like ,technical term for more like a loader on our tractors and yes more leverage/digging power it sounds like but takes a more powerful engine usually this why I liked mine with the bigger engine. :)

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Yes the radial lift is like a tractor loader were the bucket moves in an arc when raised were a vertical lift the bucket moves straight up and down. It’s one of the things I wanted when I bought the Kubota. I use an auger quite a bit and also have a pipe driver. Moving back then forward to keep things going straight down gets to be a pain if your by yourself. I also think it will be better for loading and unloading hay and stacking it in the barn. I’m not sure which has more digging power. Only down side I can see to a vertical lift is the extra linkage to grease. Shouldn’t be a big deal though

Welder Dave

Vertical lift usually has a longer wheelbase as the bucket is further out when lifted. I think if you were loading heavy wet clay or something in a dump truck you'd have to be more cautious in a vertical lift. I tipped forward a few times loading wet clay with a conventional skid steer. It's a little scary but thankfully I didn't panic and managed to get the bucket dumped with it against the box on the dump truck. I think the seat bars in skid seers are a great safety feature as are the seat belts.

searcyfarms

oh yea been on my nose a few times over the years in mine - praise the lord for seat belts and bars, last weekend when running that heavy front end mower I was wishing I have a 5 point harness going over bumps with that sucker hanging out in front bout got sea sick a few times but after the fire I pretty much forgot about everything else the day handed me.

blessed that my family came to rescue me in the field, the fire dept were nice and shared in my agony - dad came with the tractor to drag the burned skid steer up near the road/barn and we got the mower unhooked and dad carried it on the loader of the tractor so I could fix and get it back to the rental company.

If you haven't seen a vail x series mower oh my check one out!!! hand made up in Kansas and built for stout - they loaded my 2400 lb machine with 86hp perkins pretty good - made it pull hard all day until the fire :-(

searcyfarms

I was trying to find out specs on the 465, does it have 100HD drive chains in it? how about the engine, do they have glow plugs? do all machines with aux hydraulics have a lock on position so they will run w/out holding a lever while you are using the attachment like for my mower I could lock the aux lever and it would keep spinning and my lever would got either position to reverse direction lets say if we got a post hole auger stuck, u can reverse direction and bring it right up out of the ground -

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
My 450 has the momentary fw/rev for the aux hydraulics and also has the lock function so you don’t have to hold the button. I think there were a couple different joystick function options though. Mine also has the electric over hydraulic buttons. I believe all the Case machines in those years are EH controls. You might try Ritchie specs for more info.

searcyfarms

ok so I talked to my neighbor and his Cat 262C, he said at 340 hours the loader arm on the right side came out of its socket? he said cat admitted they have had a few machines do this but they would not cover it under wty and it cost him 4500 bucks to get it fixed. Are any of you familiar with this loader arm issue and is there a permanent fix or? I cant even imagine a loader arm coming out of its pivot what in the world?

What is the difference in the 262B - C and D versions?

I noticed it seems a reduction in HP?

searcyfarms

also what about the 272version? I only see a C and D version of it on machinery trader - issues with loader arms on them? or anything else notable?

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I’ve never heard of a loader arm coming out of socket. A friend of mine put 4,000 hrs on a Cat 262 shearing and piling trees. He said he had zero machine problems, only attachment hydraulic hose issues which is to be expected.

I have a tree and post puller and probably pulled at least 5,000 locust clearing a place we bought with the Case 450 and I always worried about the loader arms and cylinders but never had an issue.

Swannny

Sorry to hear of the total loss, but glad you weren't injured. I've had a few of the Volvo's...they are simple and tough with lots of power, but are butt heavy...drop the bucket to pick up another and it's easy to ride a wheelie on a slight incline.

My suggestions - stay away from the Cat A and B series unless they have had a replacement engine. There is a guy out in Chicago are (on ebay) that sells them, and he says he sells one a day at $5 to 6k. Not the easiest to work on. I don't care for the C series at all. Don't have any experience with the D's.

A Case 70xt/440, or a Gehl 6635/40 with turbo (even the 5635/40 with rear counterweight) will be very close to what you had in the Perkins...probably better, imo, due to the slight increase in auxiliary pressures and gpm flow. Case wins with visibility and serviceability over the Gehl (Gehl arms are massive and has fenders). Both have very reliable heavy-hitting-high HP engines.

Getting more difficult each year to find any of these reasonably priced with low hrs because of the newer emissions ladened options.

Swannny

I'll also add that I prefer the saddled pins in the boom/bucket attachment of the case vs. the cantilevered design of the gehl.

Being where you are located you will see higher prices on finding a replacement machine locally vs. the southeast or northeast US regions. There was a very low hr. Gehl 5635 with a couple attachments in your neck of the woods over the summer with an asking price of $30k. It didn't last long.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The Chain size in the those CASE machines are 120 if that tells you how HD they are. The linkage on the 450 comes from the CASE backhoe, very fast, but rotating back away from the curl they are not as strong. I can tell you this, I have one of the 1 yard buckets from these machines and there is nothing you can put inside that bucket that will upset a 465, simply not possible unless your loading down hill (steep)into a truck. They are very stable and have way more ROC than you can displace with the 84" high capacity dirt bucket. CASE never ran EH in these machines, the 95XT-465 were servo, the Series three was pilot.

searcyfarms

maybe I am wrong but it looks like on the gehl and the 440 series case there might be an issue with running over the tire Bar Tracks ( which is what I have ) due to the design of the fenders on the gehl and the cut out area for the rear wheels on the case - the 465 and 450 look more accommodating for those type over the tire tracks?