• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skagit Iron and Steel Works, Sedro Wooley, Washington

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Does anyone have any information on "Circle G Logging Co." from Orleans California?

My BU-94 was ordered new by them & delivered in November of 1969.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I learned more history on this yarder today.
It was owned by Richard Oatfield of Willapa Log and sold at the RB Hoquiam auction in 89 to one of the Harkness' from up north here. Barnhart bought it from him right after buying it at auction.

Ivan.T.32

Occupation
Logger
Yes it is one of the 4 that H&W used. Only a few small things need repair, one clutch activator cylinder return spring plus a couple brake band return springs. A few small air leaks and a few semi-rotten airlines. Anybody got a shed full of skagit parts?
What are you after?

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Good to see you putting wood over the "Brow Log" , what ever was holding you up must have got sorted out . Sometimes the hardest thing on these good old Yarders & Loaders is sitting around collecting rust . Like the old saying goes "Use it or Lose it". Keep us informed .

Ivan.T.32

Occupation
Logger
A bit more modern Cleveland Logging

Attachments

• IMG_20170928_184242828_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170928_184242828_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20170912_160342744_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170912_160342744_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20170912_160255861_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170912_160255861_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 75

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Good to see you putting wood over the "Brow Log" , what ever was holding you up must have got sorted out . Sometimes the hardest thing on these good old Yarders & Loaders is sitting around collecting rust . Like the old saying goes "Use it or Lose it". Keep us informed .
I hear ya Tramp!
I've had to replace tons of items in the air system and just little things like that. Now the Haywire drum has no power as it is probably full of grease so I need to pull the drum clean it out and reseal it so in the meantime we're going to run the layout around with the cat or use the shovel to pull it around so we can log.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Update,
The "former" engineer burned up the harness to the twin disk 5 speed. That kept the trans in neutral but enough drag to pull on the drums and act like bad frictions.
New harness to install in the am.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Looking at post #696.
Last time I was under a shotgun carriage, was 1977, we flew three skidder tong lines each with 4 or 5 (I forget which) 5/8" X 10' skidder chokers. It was the only time I ever saw it done, it was highly successful, we were under a 208 Washington. Has anybody done anything like that since?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Jumbo,
I have done that lots and thought that I was one of the only ones left that knew what that was. The last time I did that was in 2015 on my little BU-50 but we did it a lot in the early 90s under a BU-84. We called them frog legs.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I was Chasing on the #762 a 120 ft. Skagit Slackline tower on top of Garbage Cr in BCFP Renfrew Div . Summer of 1970 . The tower was rigged up on a landing over looking a large "Draw" full of old growth timber . It was rigged up for Shot Gunning with maybe 3-4000 ft. of Skyline reaching across the Draw to the far side . A turn of logs had just been pulled into the landing , the skyline was slacked , the logs were laying on the ground . As the Skidding line was slacked to put slack in the chokers , I was already running towards the logs to unhook the chokers . As I unhooked the first Choker , I heard something over my head . Just reflexes I guess , but I turned around at a dead run . 20 to 30 ft. away I turned around to see 150 plus ft. of Skyline pile up on the ground where I had been standing , then disappear over the edge of the landing , at the same time the carriage swung across the landing crashing into the side of the Guyline drums at base of the tower . Some how the end of the Skyline had come off the drum end on the Yarder .