• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skagit Iron and Steel Works, Sedro Wooley, Washington

crisco6255

Occupation
hooktender/timbertramp
TSY-255's left in the Longview/Ranier area these days are few- there were alot more of them in the early 1990's.

Fudge did pick up a used TSY-255 last year- I suspect this is the machine as Joel Olson is moving it here, and the pics are taken at Aipary (Fudge logs for Fibre who owns all the timber ground right there- with the exception of tree-farmer and the Evenson's).

Other TSY-255's in that area:

1. Holce at Vernonia has one purchased new and logging for Fibre at Vernonia its whole life
2. Evenson at Clatskanie has one (they move thier own and wouldn't used Olson) at Clatskanie its whole life
3. Browning (Astoria) has one (that came from Weyerhaeuser) and moves it himself
4. Art Ragsdale has one he bought new -often working in the Vernonia area
5. Lundberg at Knappa had one but I think it's been sold now- usually worked up Big Creek at Knappa
6. John Barndse (Knappa) has one also- and Olson moves for him. It came out of Whitestone's Alaska operations
7. Chilton Logging (Woodland) has one I have seen logging at Vernonia several times. Not sure where it came from...

Also- TSY-50's look identical and this machine doesnt say what it is:

1. Rick Gwin (Vernonia) had a TSY-50 but sold it a few years back I believe (he upgraded to a new Madill 120)
2. Nygaard at Warrenton still has a TSY-50 but also moves all thier own equipment.

Sorry for the rant- back in the day there were 30+ of these machines in this area....

I do have working pictures of all these machines and will post to the Thunderbird thread eventually....
SDS lumber of bingen WA has a Tsy 50 still it's siting in there mill yard now

handyrigginman

Occupation
logger/mechanic/millwright
interlocks

As long as we're on the subject of Skagit GT-3's, Ihad better post some track mounted machines as well.

Interlock machine. Brakes only used for stopping. Most operators in the day didn't understand how to run them. You could get these to run fast and smooth if you knew how.

ForestEng

Cool we would love to see any pictures of logging equipment you have. My father worked for Simpson out of Korbel and Klamath. California for 36 or so years, I worked for a company that was bought out by Simpson, and my son works for Green Diamond (Simpson). I now do some contracting for Green Diamond. As a kid I used to read "The Simpson Diamond" company magazine cover to cover numerous times. In that were many articles... Camp Govey and Camp Grisdale were read about in nearly every issue.....sadly none of them were saved, all were tossed out as trash. So please post pictures of yarders, cats, loaders, trains off highway logging trucks etc.........any logging equipment. Thank you Sir!

Korbel717A.jpgKorbel717B.jpg
Here are some pictures from Korbel in 1982!

furpo

Nice pic of the 717 ForestEng. Looks like they are cutting the slackpuller back. The 717 was a neat little swinger. It is a shame that we are only just picking up on the efficiency of these smaller swingers down here and your photo shows how long it has been happening elsewhere. Thanks for sharing.

ForestEng

Thanks furpo! Too bad none of them made it into NZ, most Skagits shipped over were towers. Did you ever happen to see Barne's Skagit swinger in the central N. Island? My records indicate he had a GT3 and/or and SJ7...

NZLOG

Occupation
Logger
Thanks furpo! Too bad none of them made it into NZ, most Skagits shipped over were towers. Did you ever happen to see Barne's Skagit swinger in the central N. Island? My records indicate he had a GT3 and/or and SJ7...

I worked on barnes SJ7 and SJ4, after that he had a GT3 X2...

furpo

Hi Forest Eng
I can help you out with that one. I'm Don's son. NZLOG should remember me. The family had a few SJ series swingers. Granddad was involved with the two SJ7 swingers that went to KLC. One was then purchased back by Granddad and run by him and then my uncle Andrew. The second was purchased by Dad in the 90's from Patanamu way. I posted a photo of it in this thread. Dad also had an SJ4 RT. Both machines have since been scrapped. The SJ7 was cut up by thieves which is a shame because the idea was being bounced around of giving to the timber museum. Both his RB22 cranes went at the same time. Andrew sold hos SJ7 to Jacob Kajavala who logged with it for some years and it then sat in the back of the KFL yard. Im not sure when it was cut up. Dad's SJ4 was sold to a tribe who run a crew to train bushmen, it has since also been scrapped.

Later on Andrew imported two Skagit swingers. First a GT3 and then a 717. Roadswitcher posted a photo of Andrew on the back of the 717 up at Woodhill. The GT3 was scrapped a few years ago and the 717 was sold to Harvestpro who I understand still have it up north.

I have been trying to track down a photos of the log cranes. Dad had two RB22s and Andrew had Prestmens. There was a photo on the wall at the mount QM scaling shed of Dad's long and wide RB22 logging in Garves forest just before cyclone Bola went through.

NZLOG

Occupation
Logger
Hi Forest Eng
I can help you out with that one. I'm Don's son. NZLOG should remember me. The family had a few SJ series swingers. Granddad was involved with the two SJ7 swingers that went to KLC. One was then purchased back by Granddad and run by him and then my uncle Andrew. The second was purchased by Dad in the 90's from Patanamu way. I posted a photo of it in this thread. Dad also had an SJ4 RT. Both machines have since been scrapped. The SJ7 was cut up by thieves which is a shame because the idea was being bounced around of giving to the timber museum. Both his RB22 cranes went at the same time. Andrew sold hos SJ7 to Jacob Kajavala who logged with it for some years and it then sat in the back of the KFL yard. Im not sure when it was cut up. Dad's SJ4 was sold to a tribe who run a crew to train bushmen, it has since also been scrapped.

Later on Andrew imported two Skagit swingers. First a GT3 and then a 717. Roadswitcher posted a photo of Andrew on the back of the 717 up at Woodhill. The GT3 was scrapped a few years ago and the 717 was sold to Harvestpro who I understand still have it up north.

I have been trying to track down a photos of the log cranes. Dad had two RB22s and Andrew had Prestmens. There was a photo on the wall at the mount QM scaling shed of Dad's long and wide RB22 logging in Garves forest just before cyclone Bola went through.

Hello Furpo
How is Don? Man O Man your old man could operate that cable crane... Good to hear you are following on with a career in the same field, I must admit cable logging is kinda addictive. Anyways say hello to Don for me please, cheers.

furpo

Dad is his usual happy reclusive self. He is driving the old Kenworth for Gordon Dahm now. 60 + and still flat out carting mostly out of the Kinleith system. I had him in the cab of the 120 and he loves the grapple. I have found memories of watch him with the crane. Digger operators these days have no idea. All three of us boys are in the logging game now.

Dad is in Rotorua still and remembers your parents yacht.

ForestEng

Hi Forest Eng

Thanks Furpo,

I appreciate all the information about the family's Skagits. Too bad they got cut up, otherwise I'd bet they'd still be pulling wood today. Great to hear your still in the game.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I saw Deatleys (Mineral Creek Logging) 737 today in Kelso at a truck parking lot. Looks like it was getting some repairs done.

Redwood Climber

Skagit T110HD

Sad to see the Skagit thread buried so many pages back.
Anyhow, there is a Skagit T110HD Self propelled yarder for sale on Craigslist. I believe it is a BU 99. Year model 1973. It must have been one of the last 99's built. I've not read how many BU 99's were built.That's just about the same time as Skagit started production on the BU 199's. The 199 was a newer model of the 1 & 1/2 inch slackline machine. Lots of changes, updated controls and dash, internal clutches on the drums..... Nice to see another one in working condition and not in pieces. There aren't enough of them left. It was used as a dragline in southern Cal.

Last edited:

TorkelH

Happy New Year Mr Redwood! Good to bring up the Skagit tread again, yes!

I searched for Skagit yarders at Craigslist and found a BU98 with a 110 ft tower, may you have mistaken that for a BU99? I know only of the Wayne Stone BU99 in logging operation today (the one picked up in California), then it is 1 at McPauls in Centralia (think it was 2 some years ago), I think it's one dredging a little outside Centralia and it's some remains of 2 up on northern Vancouver Island, one is the same I filmed operating for MacMillan Bloedell in 1997. Just east of Chehalis it's 2 large Skagit yarders stored, I have heard rumors they are 199's, but they may as well be BU99's or 98's. I would think both 99's and 98's have been popular for draglining.

We should have had a production record from Skagit, but it has been hard to find, still I suspect Modern Machinery to have it, inherited from Pacific Manufacturing. Apropos machines stored away, did you hear about the Arcata Madill 044 suddenly showing up in Chehalis last year?

Torkel

Redwood Climber

Believe it to be a different machine.

Happy New Year Mr Redwood! Good to bring up the Skagit tread again, yes!

I searched for Skagit yarders at Craigslist and found a BU98 with a 110 ft tower, may you have mistaken that for a BU99? I know only of the Wayne Stone BU99 in logging operation today (the one picked up in California), then it is 1 at McPauls in Centralia (think it was 2 some years ago), I think it's one dredging a little outside Centralia and it's some remains of 2 up on northern Vancouver Island, one is the same I filmed operating for MacMillan Bloedell in 1997. Just east of Chehalis it's 2 large Skagit yarders stored, I have heard rumors they are 199's, but they may as well be BU99's or 98's. I would think both 99's and 98's have been popular for draglining.

We should have had a production record from Skagit, but it has been hard to find, still I suspect Modern Machinery to have it, inherited from Pacific Manufacturing. Apropos machines stored away, did you hear about the Arcata Madill 044 suddenly showing up in Chehalis last year?

Torkel

Howdy there Young Man!! Nice to hear from you! If you hit craigslist portland (Oregon), it was posted yesterday. Jan. 4. Do a heavy equipment search (Yarder) in the Portland Craiglist & you should be there. We may be looking at the same machine. I'm not sure if it is a 98 or 99. I was guessing. If I knew how to cut & paste & email & the rest of that stuff. I'd be pretty sharp. I don't....my axe is dull I guess..The map shows it to be near Laguna Beach in Southern Cal. The paint on this machine is not nearly as sharp as Wayne Stone's machine. I've seen quite a few of it. NICE machine!
I hope things are going well for you on that side of the pond. Take Care. Happy New Year to you Sir!!

Last edited:

TorkelH

BU98 in

Hello Young Man! Me not beeing very young any more, but thank you! It has for sure nothing to do with beeing sharp not knowing how to get stuff from Craigslist and into here, I can do but don't feel too sharp... But I'm pretty sure we have been looking at the same machine, here's couple of pictures of it. Either undercarriage or winch have serial A102 (it's two ads for the same machine). Enclose also a picture of a BU99, it has some bigger skyline drum as you can see.

Attachments

• 00M0M_329zluMnXsJ_600x450.jpg
    00M0M_329zluMnXsJ_600x450.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 908
  • 00N0N_cwRsDlwinvF_600x450.jpg
    00N0N_cwRsDlwinvF_600x450.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 874
  • 00U0U_k6WyD7oqiWr_600x450.jpg
    00U0U_k6WyD7oqiWr_600x450.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 912
  • MMB_Skagit_BU99_1.jpg
    MMB_Skagit_BU99_1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 884

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I made an offer on that BU-98 the day before yesterday.
I know Waynes BU-99 real well as I helped rebuild it and also painted the cab & tube of it.