• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Shop Crane/Hoist build, need ideas!

td25c

Pictures for GOINGBROKE

I got a few close up pics of the post brackets this evening on my bridge crane.They are made of 1/8 " thick steel welded & boxed in around the post.I used 5- 3/8 inch bolts to attach them to each post.The track is 5 inch channel iron.The wheels are small railroad wheels like are used railroad repair equipment.I run two chain hoists on it.It's pretty handy.

Attachments

• 100_1742.jpg
    100_1742.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,457
  • 100_1744.jpg
    100_1744.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,456
  • 100_1746.jpg
    100_1746.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,455

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
I figured that was where your first post was going, I'll keep that in mind :rolleyes:

Point being, I am the OWNER and dollar cost is my, MY money whether it be cost for a hoist or cost for a injury. I know what I am doing. also I know that engineered things break too. But something even more important than dollar cost is safety and dont think for one minute that I would jepordize the safety of one of my men or myself, besides I do most of the mechanic work anyway, I want the boys in the loaders where they are making ME money!

I also think that if it was the operators (not singling anyone out) money that was invested in a company there wouldn't be so much safety ass eatings. I know its just common place for a employee to know how to run a business better than its owner, I have heard it before and will hear it again ;)

And Thank you Atco and 95z and 25C for building it. that would work great but i have full height doors on the wall. i was thinking something like doing what you done on one wall and then building an "A-Frame" .

Now that we are off topic lol, whats everyone else think of my rant?

Pj

In your back yard ..I' could really careless what you build and I'll help you build it ..

I dont really care how you **** your money away ..I just hope its not on the blood or bones of anyone who dosent know any better ......Its guys like you i really think should be dragged out in the street and shot ..

So **** you and your arrogance ******* ..

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
I happen to know where a bridge crane is setting;)

It come out of a local factory.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Roddyo shoot me a PM i dont know where in AR you are but i am about an hour north of springfield MO.

In your back yard ..I' could really careless what you build and I'll help you build it ..

I dont really care how you **** your money away ..I just hope its not on the blood or bones of anyone who dosent know any better ......Its guys like you i really think should be dragged out in the street and shot ..

So **** you and your arrogance ******* ..

And now for you,I have set on my hands for a little over an hour now but here it goes and It's too bad all the good words here are censored out but they are at most good sites, something else that aint real cool is telling me you would like to shoot me.....smooth move exlax!

I dont know why you would even respond you had nothing to contribute the first time you tried to hijack the thread, you are nothing but a troll and you were looking for a fight that is pretty clear. so now you got one.

you need not worrie bout me or any of my guys I have read several of your post and you are trying to declare yourself the site saftey guy. and you have trashed several threads just like you did this one, you need to find a hobby or maybe a girlfriend and leave us adults alone. we are talking and there is no place for you in this thread.

I have said several times we are building a lifting device and I mistakeingly called it a crain and you think that you are going to be a big hero....maybe its cause your childish, maybe its cause your wife carries your balls in her purse and dont let you talk for yourself at home, or maybe your just a troll and wanted to trash a thread but mainly I think your just a controlling type person that happens to be a rookie track cleaner after the REAL operators are through or maybe your hoping to be that guy someday after a promotion....either way get outta my thread and NEVER threaten me AGAIN is that understood! (notice no "?", that's because its more of a statement than a question)

I am being discustingly nice, if any one here knows me they can voutch for that!

Pj

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
looks good and sturdy 25c, thanks for posting. just goes to show theres nothing wrong with shopbuilt stuff!

Pj

td25c

It's held up fine powerjoke over the years.Nothing wrong with home made,shop built,or whatever we want to call it.Heck ,Grove started out building farm equipment & wagons ,then they went on to build some of the best cranes on earth.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Just so nobody's scratching their heads, wondering why it got so quiet in here all of a sudden, this might be a good place to post a reminder of this little part of the forum rules:

...While disagreements in opinions and procedures may arise, they must be handled in a mature and civil manner.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Not sure if its the right forum or not but I didn't see a "how to build a shop hoist" forum :eek:

Here's what I need help with, I need pictures of what you have.

I am just curious and would like to see other shops setups.

Can anyone tell me what # and size "I" beam I would need to say.....hold up 2 ton 15 foot away from pivot, I could always run a support rod close to the center or end?

Pj

Hey PJ. I hope your suspension doesn't last long. I've got a home made set-up like you may be looking for. Like your's, my shop only has 16' ceilings. Height was a problem. Also like you, I wasn't looking to lift 10,000 pounds. 500-1,000 pounds in most cases. I used a W8 x 35# beam as a column. Welded a W12 beam x 20' long onto it as high as possible. Used a round rod as a gussett/brace above the 12" beam back to the column. There is simply a bearing on the top and bottom of the column to allow it to rotate. Bought a used 2,000 winch from a crane dealer that rolls under the 12" beam on a trolley. I could take some photos and email you if you'd like. Let me know.

EdB

Occupation
Whatever it takes
Home made Hoist frame

Here's a couple shots of mine. Used 12" I-beam about 20' long. Posts and feet are made from 4X4X.25" wall square tubing.
The hoist just fits in my shed, which is 16' tall sidewalls. Rolls everywhere I need it in the building, which is 60' X 105'. The second pic is of the homemade windlass that is used to power the trolley and get it in just the right spot. For quick positioning, the trolley can also be pulled by using the hoist hook or whatever is suspended from it. I built the trolley from .75" thick flat plate. Used 1" grade 8 bolts for axles on the sealed ball bearing rollers. Doesn't look like this forum is going to allow attachments tonight. Here are links to the pics:

http://www.boysungrain.com/images/tools/tool17.jpg

http://www.boysungrain.com/images/tools/tool18.jpg

td25c

Welcome to the forum EdB.Thats a nice looking gantry crane,I like your idea in the second picture having a winch to move the trolley.I also like the way the pole building is braced on the back wall for the strong cold Montana wind this time of year.Love that Gleaner to.

EdB

Occupation
Whatever it takes
Thanks for the comments. If you like pictures of Gleaners, Challengers, or other farm related activities, there's lots here.

td25c

Thanks for the link EdB.You have a Top of the line farming operation.Love the shop!We have old F-2 gleaner with a 13 foot flex head & four row corn head.The F-2 is a Mini combine by todays standards.I always liked the gleaners,old and new.

EdB

Occupation
Whatever it takes
Lots of things have changed around here but Gleaners have always been the combine of choice. Dad started with a pull-type and later bought an A, and then a C2. I put in a little time on both the pull-type and A but the C2 was the first machine I really ran a bunch. Traded that for an L2 (what an improvement) and later supplemented that with my first rotary (an R50). Had bad experiences with the air-cooled Deutz in that so it was traded, along with the L2 for the current R72.
Dad passed in 89 but I sure wish he was around to see the R72 in action. It is a beast in wheat!

td25c

Amen EdB.My grandad was a big Allis-Chalmers / Gleaner man.I dont guess powerjoke will mind us hijacking his thread abit talking about gleaner combines sence we both added some pictures & ideas for a shop crane.We have a few farmers running the new big Gleaners in my area but most run a case/IH or deere.Some of my buddys rib & poke at the Gleaner combine and I have to remind them that Gleaner has forgot more about harvesting a crop then anyone else will ever know.I tell them To pay attention to how there new red or green combine is designed,Operators cab in the middle,Grain tank behind the cab,and engine on the rear just like the old Gleaners.That R72 looks hungry for wheat!

Dig-UP

No really good shots, but this one is at 14' here. It can also be jacked up to over 20 feet tall using the jacks mounted on either side. They are hard to see, but the bare steel top, rises up from the yellow part.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 5,656
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 5,601
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 4,762

MRM99

Something to also keep in mind is if you are using a chainfall or a motorized hoist, because a chainfall is a lot lighter than the same size air or electric hoist.

bd797

A good engineer could you give you some numbers for the size of beams and columns that you would need for the desired size of the crane. It doesnt matter if its a gantry or jib. Although, a jib would need some serious anchors if it was going to be large. I myself have a nice gantry crane tha is 16' tall and about 18'6" inside width. I did all of the structural calcs for the beam and columns as I have a degree in engineering. They are pretty easy. If you know an engineer, and he is willing to do a little calculating for you, then all you really need to do is give him your specifications on height, width and max. capacity. I could probably even run some numbers for ya if you wanted.

Lefty

Here is a 3 tonne A-frame hoist that I recently built. I used this thread for ideas. Hopefully my design will be of use to others planning to built one.
Picture 002.jpgPicture 005.jpgPicture 014.jpgPicture 023.jpg