• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Setting up air compressor

Brandt

I am piecing together a compressor for a service truck. I have a good sized tank and a 13 HP Kohler gas engine. What size compressor unit do I get ?? Should it be close but not bigger than 13HP or with the pulley sizes should it be around 5 HP??

I will need a lot of air and want it now! I'll need up to 175 PSI. I am tired of putting 3-4 lug nuts on and waiting for air to build so I can do the next 3-4!

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
likely a Quincy or Champion compressor head, the companies will have tables for compressor matching, compressor rpm versus horsepower. Might as well get the full pressure lube compressor with the constant run option. What's your gun consumption at rated pressure?

Brandt

The gun I'm gonna have in the service truck I haven't purchased yet. The one in the shop is an older version of this one: https://www.zoro.com/chicago-pneumatic-air-impact-wrench-34-in-dr-4200-rpm-cp772h/i/G3695072/?utm_term=B_PB400_Compressors&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA_US_BusinessComposition&utm_content=All Products&gclid=COHQzvnH9NMCFVNVfgodQ-cPXw&gclsrc=ds . 24 CFM at full load - guessing 90 psi
I'd like to run a 1/2" gun in the truck, but will still need big torque out of it on a 1/2" line

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
A compressor with similar specs to an IR T-30 will handle that fine. They'll run a 1" pretty good as well. That's what I used for many years before I went hydraulic drive on the bigger trucks. I've got two of them sitting around as a matter of fact. One complete minus engine and one on the mount minus engine and tank as I had them separate on one truck.

Brandt

Wish you were closer - I could put one of those "sittin around" compressors to use!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Lol yeah. Whereabouts in WY are you? Did work out there a few years ago, well longer than a few lol. Used to haul quite a bit of hay out of Riverton. Worked on a ranch for a summer west of Saratoga.

check

When selecting a compressor for a motor, the shocking part is the limited availability and high price of sheaves. You really shouldn't run good compressors more than about 500 RPM if you want long life and to avoid carbon buildup. That means large driven sheave.

Another thing to consider is adding salvaged truck air tanks under your truck wherever there is space for one to increase your capacity.

Brandt

I'm north of Cody, just below MT line.
I plan on adding a 200 gal propane tank for additional air.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Been to Cody a couple times. Even flew into their little airport. Did some backpacking in Teton and Shoshone National Forrest. Off topic I know lol. The last truck I ran a T-30 on my steps were rect. tubing and used as a reservoirs. On top of that I had several truck air tanks under it. Volume sure helps.