• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seppi mulcher being installed on a SK160lc Kobelco excavator

whitemike

Occupation
Small land clearing biz owner
I am in the process of putting a Seppi rotary mulcher on a 02 SL160LC Kobelco Dynamic Acerra S# ym02u0469. I sent my machine and mulcher oil and pressure requirements to SUN Hydraulics and they put me a priority flow valve together with the instructions on where and how to install it. On the mulcher motor itself it has 3-#3/4 lines, the pressure line A. runs to my SUN flow valve, another line B.(case drain) i am running it back to hyd. tank, the 3rd line C. just returns oil from motor( it still has some pressure ). I don't know exactly where to plumb this line to my machine at. Could anyone help me with this? a picture of someone pointing at the location would be wonderful but may not be possible. But a good explanation will help me alot. Just to say this my machine has an unused hammer valve, which i think also is a one way oil flowing circuit. Is it possible to use its fittings at the valve banks to hook my return line? Any help would be appreciated

Kobelco ireland

Occupation
Mechanic
Hi white you can't use the hammer valve as return. You need to pipe the return line from the motor into the hydraulic filter not directly to tank.

whitemike

Occupation
Sir, i have been away from computer but thanks for answering. I understand that the hammer valve want help any OK. So your saying if i mount a filter and tie my return line from mulcher motor in to filter then run from filter into tank i should be ok?

whitemike

Occupation
The reason i said mount a filter is because the filters are mounted inside tank.Hooking into the line feeding it would be a bigger chore, It would be much simplier to just mount another filter if this would do same thing, as far as back-pressure or any pressure goes.

Kobelco ireland

Occupation
Mechanic
The reason i said mount a filter is because the filters are mounted inside tank.Hooking into the line feeding it would be a bigger chore, It would be much simplier to just mount another filter if this would do same thing, as far as back-pressure or any pressure goes.

If you mount another filter it will have to be quite large and cause as little back pressure as possible and it will still have to be returned to tank through a large diameter pipe. It might be easier if you remove the tank cover over the original filter and drill a hole in the middle of it and weld in fitting to take the return pipe direct from attachment.

whitemike

Occupation
Ok i follow you, running though an add-on filter would create alot of pressure on the cold mornings. Now that i know where the pipe needs to wind-up at, i will now take your suggestion and come-up with a plan. If going though top of tank want not be practical maybe finding a way to add a fitting in that return metal pipe could be possible or you think i still may get back pressure from all the other return lines that are already hooked in? To be honest i just didn't know where the pipe needed to end it's journey but if its that metal line going into tank i should be able to get connected. I really thank you for taking your time to help me guy. I do like the Kobelco (have never ran another brand befor) and need to up-grade to a newer and a size larger so i can still use my same lowboy. What is the next size up and how many more tons does it weigh? Mine is a SK160 just as a reminder.

lantraxco

Not to be contrary, but since the motor has a case drain, you don't need to worry about the return flow back pressure and you don't need an additional filter head. Just find a place to tee it into the existing return line before the cooler and return filter and you'll be golden.

(Edit) Emphasis on teeing in BEFORE the cooler please. Otherwise you may quickly cook things since most of the oil flow will be bypassing the cooler if your mulcher return is installed after the cooler in the return.

Last edited:

Kobelco ireland

Occupation
Mechanic
If you look at any kobelco with factory fitted attachment piping the return line is always run direct to hydraulic tank through original filter. It does not pass through oil cooler for a number of different reasons. The return going straight to hydraulic tank will not over heat the hydraulic system

Kobelco ireland

Occupation
Mechanic
Returning into the large metal pipe would be fine. The newer -6e model kobelco sk170 weights 17 tons give or take a few kgs depending on what spec it comes in.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'll have to agree with Lantraxco here. I've put on one or two of those things on other brands of machines and all ran the motor return back through the cooler. You are running a motor circuit that continuously creates heat in a machine that barely has enough cooling to begin with. Drop the motor return directly to the tank and you can watch the paint sluff off the piping in the Georgia heat. These things are far worse for cooling than running dangle head log processors.

lantraxco

As John C. sez, the mulchers are a special case, they take lots of horsepower continuously with a good operator keeping it loaded up. Whatever hydraulic horsepower you put through the head you can figure at least 10% gets turned into heat between the pumps and the motor. More if you're running flow dividers as the total input flow to the divider gets pressurized to the highest load on the output. You may have enough flow through the main valve to keep the oil somewhat cool, but Georgia in summer can exceed 100F/40C so it's best to err on the side of caution I think. YMMV

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
The case drain needs to be filtered cause all the debrie from a lunched hydraulic motor goes through that path. Just a spin on Donaldson, Baldwin will do.

lantraxco

The case drain needs to be filtered cause all the debrie from a lunched hydraulic motor goes through that path. Just a spin on Donaldson, Baldwin will do.

I tend to agree with you though it's debatable. Some motors will grenade because of high case pressure, so one could argue either side on this one.

I tend to use an oversize spinon with the bypass set to no more than 15 psi, and of course an electrical bypass indicator which at 10 psi differential lights a warning lamp in the cab for the operator to ignore.

whitemike

Occupation
Guys what great help, i will tie return line in befor oil cooler and i will run case drain though a filter with a by-pass valve. And you are correct on these GA summer days, i knew going into this endeaver that oil temp would be a concern but i work for the same 15 or so landowners and my plan was to do the mulching in cooler months as long as they are not down hunting, them days i just stay away. Thanks again for help

whitemike

Occupation
Derale radiators and oil coolers will make a custom cooler for about any application. I didn't purchase Seppi head new but i contacted them about getting head plumbed. They were very helpful and customer service was great even though i didn't purchase head new from them. The question about hot oil came up and they mentioned a seperate oil cooler with electric fans was a good option ,if you have room to mount and high temp. was an issue. Well on the Kobelco that is about the only place there is extra room is at radiators, anywhere else space is at a premium, don't drop anything behind seat or blow a fuse.

Kobelco ireland

Occupation
Mechanic
Derale radiators and oil coolers will make a custom cooler for about any application. I didn't purchase Seppi head new but i contacted them about getting head plumbed. They were very helpful and customer service was great even though i didn't purchase head new from them. The question about hot oil came up and they mentioned a seperate oil cooler with electric fans was a good option ,if you have room to mount and high temp. was an issue. Well on the Kobelco that is about the only place there is extra room is at radiators, anywhere else space is at a premium, don't drop anything behind seat or blow a fuse.
The

Last edited:

Kobelco ireland

Occupation
Mechanic
The separate oil cooler with electric fan on your return line is the best option if you are working in 40 degree heat,it will cost a bit more to set up but will be worth it in the long run. where I am from 20 degrees is about as hot as it gets in the summer so there is never a need for extra coolers, straight back to hydraulic tank works fine here. As I said before teeing in before original oil cooler can cause more problems than it solves and is not recommended to be done by kobelco

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
You could lay an oil cooler on the flat above the hydraulic pumps taking air from the top. Maybe cut some vents in the door on the pump side to help expel the extra flow