• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Semi tractor and gooseneck

seabiscuit

I need to pull a gooseneck cargo trailer, 14,000 lb GVW, in my business and private use. I wanted to get a straight truck with sleeper which would add about 2k to insurance but found I need the loading ramp on a gooseneck trailer. The Freightliner Sport Chassis or FL60 looks like the ideal truck for my situation but I can not handle the price. I wouldn't be using it everyday but maybe 1000 mile trip per month. It occurred to me that since I have a CDL I could purchase a used, simple, older model, high mileage single axle semi truck in reasonable condition at a reasonable price, far less than a sport chassis. If I adapt it to pull a gooseneck what kind of problems do you think I would run into? Would it make a difference to DOT whether I use a Class 6, or 7 or Class 8 semi truck with a 14,000 lb GVW trailer? Would I still have to stop at weigh stations? Do you think insurance on this set up would be much different than with the straight truck idea?

Thanks

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF seabiscuit! :drinkup

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
What class license do you have? If you have a Class A or as us old timers call it a Class 1 then you can drive anything, if you have a Class B, you can any size truck pullin a trailer up to 10,000 lbs.

seabiscuit

I have a Class A CDL.
1, If I buy a used Class 7 or 8 semi truck do I have to change the fifth wheel to pull a 14,000 lb trailer?
2. Would DOT make me get a single axle semi or will they let me use a tandem axle?
3. Can I use the trailer's electronic brakes or do I need to find trailer with air brakes?
4. Can a used Class 7 or 8 semi be reclassified as a Class 6 semi truck?
5. Can a used Class 7 or 8 be reclassified as a straight truck?

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Are you buying a trailer with a fifth wheel hook up or a trailer with a pintle hook? If it's a fifth wheel car carrier type trailer then I do believe it's a different fifth wheel. You can use electronic brakes as long as you have the brake controller in the cab.

seabiscuit

Yes it would be a car carrier type cargo trailer. That's what I was trying to decide on since I think the fifth wheel hookup is more sturdy. I would look for that kind of trailer if I can find a single axle semi.
How used of a semi do you think I can get away with?

LeakyBoot

Hitch--etc

I have a single axle former "semi" that I pull a gooseneck. A tandem duel wheel flat with dovetail I use to haul machinery and hay. I removed the 5th wheel and put a 12 inch wide channel across bottom of frame with a 25 ton ball. Put electric brake control under dash. Works OK but need fenders or a flatbed to stop water flying in wet weather. Just have flaps now. I'm farm and have been lucky not to have been checked by DOT as they would surely find a problem of some kind-----LB

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
People do what you want to do all the time with no problems, especially since you already have a CDL. A single axle tractor would be fine and could handle the 14K trailer easily. The only reason to convert to a gooseneck is for the articulation it offers. There are a lot of ranchers that do what you want to do and convert to the gooseneck hitch so that they have the articulation they need when hauling in and out of pastures with significant elevation changes. Running electric brakes is not a problem including with DOT. A tractor pulling a 14K trailer with good electric brakes will stop just fine in any conditions. I would recommend a Prodigy electric brake controller. They are as good as the electric ones get.
Used single axle tractors go for reasonable amounts. Look at www.Truckpaper.com. for a good quantity of these tractors.
Good luck.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
A class 8 truck can run indefinitely if properly maintained. The most important thing will be the amount of rust the truck might have, that's not easily reversed. All other parts can be either rebuilt or replaced without too much trouble. The price you pay initially for the truck will determine the value in the amount of repairs you need to do. Some of the trucks I drove for the company I worked for had in excess of 700,000 miles and were daily runners.

Look for a retired fleet truck with good maintenance records, perhaps take an oil sample for analysis. You can get many years of service from a used truck that has been serviced well.

seabiscuit

4+4 transmission

I saw 1950 Peterbilt single axle for sale on ebay with a 4+4 transmission. Is this the type where you have to steer with your elbow around the steering wheel and shift two gears at one time? How many gears are in this transmission?

Texas Hayman

?

Hey guys, not to high jack this thread..do you need a CDL class A or B to operate a class 7 truck (cab and chassis single axle) even if your not pulling a trailer?

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
I saw 1950 Peterbilt single axle for sale on ebay with a 4+4 transmission. Is this the type where you have to steer with your elbow around the steering wheel and shift two gears at one time? How many gears are in this transmission?

A 4+4 is actually 2 transmissions one right behind the other with 4 in one and 4 in the other, giving you a combination of 16 gears. Or sometimes known as a 4 spd with a 4 spd brownie. Other combinations can include a 5 and 4 which is what I learned on.

Texas Hayman:

A class 7 truck is rated at 26,001 and up.

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

sbrem

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Texas Hayman! :drinkup

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Class A license

If you have a Class A or as us old timers call it a Class 1 then you can drive anything,

This is something to beware of, A Class A does not automatically give you the ability to pull anything. Depending on what you took your road test with could result in a "O" restriction. If you tested with a Fifth-wheel truck then you can pull anything, BUT if you tested with a pintle and pup trailer then that's all you can pull you CANNOT pull a fifth-wheel trailer.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
This is something to beware of, A Class A does not automatically give you the ability to pull anything. Depending on what you took your road test with could result in a "O" restriction. If you tested with a Fifth-wheel truck then you can pull anything, BUT if you tested with a pintle and pup trailer then that's all you can pull you CANNOT pull a fifth-wheel trailer.

Not necessarily. It depends on your states CDL rules. I have a class A CDL and there are not any restrictions to trailer type. I took my road test with a pintle but I am licensed to pull 5th wheel or whatever. You need to check your states specific rules.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
After watching those 3 BoobTube vids, I'm glad I got restricted to AutoShift 18 speeds.

seabiscuit

Thanks for posting those shifting videos, sbrem, they were real informative. Now I see driving with out power steering and a double transmission was physical work. One guy doesn't use a clutch, one guy clutches sometimes and one guy double clutches! Did the double transmissions allow for less use of the clutch?
Another question: I'm looking to buy an old used truck, now I'm thinking an earlier model than the 4+4 transmissions though they have a real good look to them. I see most have been rebuilt one or two times. Typically how many miles does a rebuilt road truck (say 1980's) go before it needs an engine overhaul, or a transmission overhaul?
And another question: If I have a tractor that is a class 7, with a GVWR of 26,000 - 33,000 lbs, and actually weighs 10,000 lbs, and I pull a trailer that is GVWR of 15,000 lbs would I still need a CDL? I've seen semi trucks with tandem axles that were rated as a Class 6, 7 or 8, what on the truck determines the classification rating?

Last edited: