• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Sherman

Occupation
Self Employed
Well guys I believe its time to turn wrenches. I have tried all the of the suggested remedies and I'm in the same position as I started. I'll be clearing the last project from the shop (1995 Ford f-250 with brakes and door hinges). 50 pounds of floor sweep (cat litter) and the dozer gets it's place inside. I'll try to post pictures of the process. Oh, I'll be changing the hydro oil to equipment specs. Further suggestion and tips are always welcome.

Sherman

Occupation
Self Employed
Today I started tearing into my dozer. Think its time to call the pros. Not that I'm scared, just unsure of the required steps to get to the brakes and/or clutches. I can't make any sense out of the layout. So a question, can I just take the bolts off the brake/clutch covers with out doing any damage? Once the cover is off will it appear to make more sense? I can post pictures if it will help. Thanks in advance.

Sherman

Occupation
Self Employed
Ok I have ventured further. Found the bracket in the photo (right side actually) was stuck forward. Left side moved by hand. Tapped the right one a bit and now both move freely. Do you think this may have corrected my turning issue. It's a blitch to put everything together if there is more I need to check.Bracket left.jpg

Vetech63

I have to pull the right steering clutch out of a D20-6 tomorrow. Clutch will not disengage but has supply pressure.

Sherman

Occupation
Self Employed
Well I freed it up. Brake lever moves but does not engage the brake. Guess I'll tear into it and see what it looks like. It actually went together faster that it came apart. Basically I'm at square one again. Vetech63 can you post some pictures as you go along. I'm not sure rather mine is a brake issue or a clutch issue. Mine moves forward and reverse and will only turn left. Engine does not bog down forward, reverse or turning.

Sherman

Occupation
Self Employed
Ok I have tore down. Inside Cover.jpg This is the brake drumBrake and clutches.jpg I think the clutches are stuck because of the slop in the arm to the left. Again, I'm open to suggestions.

Sherman

Occupation
Self Employed
Also, the brake adjustment screw (the 17mm under the back cover) is stuck like chuck. Would it damage anything to put some heat to this so I can get it freed up? With new brake shoes I'll need to back that adjustment back quite a bit. Also the tie wrap is just to hold stuff in place. It will be replace with the proper size cotter pin. :)

Sherman

Occupation
Self Employed
Got the clutches and brake drum out. Quick bit of information to the next rookie, take the bolts out of the left side first then the right side. If you remove the right side first you'll be able to spin the drum to get to the clutch side bolts.Empty.jpgDrum Clutch 2.jpg Now to find the clutch plates and brake shoe/band. Suggestions welcome.

Allen454

glow plugs

I need help finding glow plugs or glow plug part number for my d20a-5 serial number 56817. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Sherman

Occupation
Self Employed
It's all back together and running. No idea how I got the brakes hooked up. After about two hours of fooling with it, it just dropped in place. I checked it with endoscopy camera, and everything fit as designed. Now it turns left and right. I want to thank everyone for their help and assistance.

solarbobky

Occupation
Engineer
Komatsu D21A-5 3 Point Hitch

I want to add a 3 point hitch to my dozer. I have the 3 pth arms from a newer John Deere tractor. I was thinking I could fabricate a bracket to mount in place of the factory drift pin hitch, mount the arms on it so as to mimic factory 3 point hitch and then mount a winch up high on the ROPS. Use the winch with a lanyard for up and down so I can use my Landscape rake on my old logging roads to get a clean sweep. What do you guys think? Any better ideas?

It might be possible to use a Magnatrac hitch and PTO:
http://struckcorp.com/attachments/rh65-three-point-rear-hitch-kit-category-1/
http://struckcorp.com/attachments/pto70-power-takeoff-kit/
The MH8000 dozer goes up to 35 HP, almost what the D21has.

solarbobky

Occupation
Engineer
Hi Guys. I saw a post that said the Komatsu line has 1000 / 540 rpm PTO and 3 point hitch set ups. How about some photos/ prints/part numbers/ stories? I am the guy with the D3b mounting a Brown Tree Cutter. I am always open to something that could improve the idea.
Thanks,
Jim
It might be possible to use a Magnatrac hitch and PTO:
http://struckcorp.com/attachments/rh65-three-point-rear-hitch-kit-category-1/
http://struckcorp.com/attachments/pto70-power-takeoff-kit/
The MH8000 dozer goes up to 35 HP, almost what the D21has.

partsman11

I have a D20P-7 It started smoking blue really bad. It has gotten worse. A lot of blowby
It has a 4D95S-1 engine which is built by Yanmar. Any ideas where to get a rebuild kit? I called a Yanmar Distributor they claimed if they have the Komatsu part#s converted to Yanmar they can provide it. Any other ideas?

Eripet10

I am in need of help. I bought a d20p-7a and the guy claims that the steering clutches were replaced. it steers fine, but when you drop the blade the left track wont spin. the steering linkages look fine. The drain plugs were previously removed and have some oil coming out indicating a seal is leaking. I know that the clutch might be bad, but could it possibly be something else? I was reading on hear that if the hydraulic strainer is plugged up , that might cause a track to not move when a load is on the dozer? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

Jw Slaughter

I have a '96 D20P-7

To tighten the tracks remove the ram plate with a 17mm wrench. Theres a zerk in there. Pump a few squirts in there until the track droop is 20 to 30mm.

Here's the lubricants guide for the D20/21 -6 and -7 Models.
Am I seeing this right ? Hydraulic fluids for a D21 6A is standard motor oil ? Or is sae 10w the part # for the hydro fluids ? Thanks. John

jillmd

I'm not home for another few weeks, is there anyone out there that can tell me if a D20A-6 has a "Power beyond port" on the hydraulic control valve? Thanks in advance