• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

crayk10

Could anyone send me an exploded diagram of the track tensioner. I've got a d21-p and all the grease is coming out the front of the tensioner.

dblaneyfan

scooter bill

D21P-6 Right Track Locked Up

Great information on this site. Learn more about these small dozers every time I read the forums. Now for my newest problem. Dozer set up for over a year. Left track pulls but the right one is locked up. Dozer spins in a circle when running. I have new clutches and brake bands. If the track needs to turn to remove clutch pack bolts how can I remove them if track won't turn? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
To remove the flange bolts you will just need to get the machine off the ground and use a floor jack to rotate either side and you may need to block the track to keep it from moving when you are wrenching. Good luck and contact me further if you need anything..

Great information on this site. Learn more about these small dozers every time I read the forums. Now for my newest problem. Dozer set up for over a year. Left track pulls but the right one is locked up. Dozer spins in a circle when running. I have new clutches and brake bands. If the track needs to turn to remove clutch pack bolts how can I remove them if track won't turn? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Could anyone send me an exploded diagram of the track tensioner. I've got a d21-p and all the grease is coming out the front of the tensioner.

You have to repack your cylinder with new piston packings (its inside your cylinder that has to come out) and then wiper seal.. Take the front idler out (after removing track) and put a block of wood in front of the opening.. Then remove the grease valve (not just the zerk) and try blowing air in it.. If the piston doesn't blow out then you will have to use a tube of grease and just keep pumping it until it comes out. I have most parts in stock for anyone out there.. :)

scooter bill

To remove the flange bolts you will just need to get the machine off the ground and use a floor jack to rotate either side and you may need to block the track to keep it from moving when you are wrenching. Good luck and contact me further if you need anything..

I can get it off the ground but I don't think it will rotate with a jack. It seems to be locked up. Thanks for the reply

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Oh.... When someone says it wont' turn there are 2 ways I can take that... Wont turn under it's own power (steering clutches not grabbing) or it locked up.. Does it bog the motor down when it's NOT turning?

The only way it won't rotate with a jack is if the final drive or drive train has failed...

Good luck and keep us posted..

scooter bill

It doesn't turn under its own power. It just goes in a circle. I will tear in to it to replace clutches and go from there. Thanks for your help

mikek

Hello dozer folks,
Been a while since I looked around here. I need new/replacement armrest pads for my D21. anyone have a parts shop/listing they might recommend. Thanks, Mike Kelly

Sherman

Occupation
Self Employed
May have messed up

Folks I have a grey market D21P-7 that was low on hydraulic fluid. Off to Tractor Supply and purchased ISO 46 Hydraulic Oil and in it went. Since trouble shooting a steering issue I see in the repair manual it indicates ENGINE OIL for the hydraulic tank. I have destroyed something and causing the steering issue? Should I drain the hydraulic fluid and replace it with the recommended oil? I am by no means a mechanic but have turned wrenches on "stuff". But this dozer scares me with all the tubing and assorted fluids. I'm not cheap, just like to give it a shot first myself. After I screw it up a mechanic can make a good wage off of me.

Sherman

g_man

Occupation
Retired
Sherman I doubt that you ruined any thing. But I would put the proper fluid in there. My Dresser calls for either 10 Wt motor oil or 10 Wt HyTran type tractor fluid. Make sure you get the right viscosity what ever fluid you use. Check to see that 46 hydraulic oil isn't to heavy for your D21P-7.

I think you need to make 5 posts to get off probation. There is a post that explains it.

Last edited:

cblank

The clutch and brake assm is dry, so over time the metal clutch plates can rust, swell and prevent the clutch from releasing. The larger models like D31, has the clutch and brakes running in oil. I helped a friend replace those assemblies in his.

g_man

Occupation
Retired
cblank thanks for the help. I thru out the 10 Wt I use to stress proper viscosity is important. Glad you had the right info for him.

gg

cblank

Shermans dozer is a -7 and has joy stick direction control, mine is a -6 and has the 2 handles in the dash for stearing, so I refered Sherman to an expert, Darren Michell, for advise on the oil.
DMMachinery