• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Screamin' Jimmy Terex 82-40 For Sale ASAP Southern California

joelmartin

Occupation
CEO AZ Technical,LLC
Old Green Terex with screamin' Jimmy .
Property is sold and owner wishes to have this machine gone off property ASAP.
I'm trying to adjust throttle so I can start engine. Removed hood and cover to governor. linkage does not seem to move freely.
WHAT am I MISSING?
Is there another hidden internal linkage that Is stopping it from moving?
I'm old enough to have run a screaming Jimmy in a Timberjack skidder way back when in northern BC.
Young enough to need to ask more experienced guys for more info on this unit.
2 fold question: Anybody want to buy this thing even just for parts?
It seems to be in decent shape. For the vintage that it is.
Hasn't been used for quite a few years so quite sure there'll be some seal leaks etc.
Thank you.

joelmartin

Occupation
CEO AZ Technical,LLC
I have not used this forum so I ought to review the rules. Please don't be mad if I should not be suggesting there is something to be sold here. Just inform me if I need to delete that part of the thread?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
How long has it been sitting? If the actual throttle linkage is stuck it makes me think and injector is stuck in which case if it did start if would rev to the moon! What is the owner trying to get for it? Scrap or slightly more is probably the best it'll bring as anybody interested will have a fair amount of freight in it. Post some pics if you have some. I'd like to see what the old girl looks like.

StanRUS

Post pics of governor linkage...remove valve covers...work rack manually observing each injectors' rack movement (should be free)...check both sides...Check blower emergency shut off flap (see if it works okay) Starting clamp smallish vise-grips onto rack tube L.H. front and start. Best if you have a helper!

Last edited:

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Yeah my first thought is that one or more of the injectors' individual racks is stuck due to gummed up fuel. Are they the kind that the arms that drop from the rack rod to the injector rack are solidly connected to the rack rod once you tighten both screws? Or the other kind which I would describe as "breakaway"?

If they are the solid kind be very careful as I'm sure you can see that one stuck injector will cause all of them to stay locked in the "full" position with no way to stop the engine.

Easy enough with the vise grips to check that the rack easily goes from full to off before even turning the engine.

I could be completely up the wrong tree here.

StanRUS

With valve covers off, remove clevis pin @ front of each rack-tube, rack should move easy by hand from fuel off (outside off head) to full fuel (towards inside)...If 1ea or more injectors are stuck, you'll know which cylinder bank...

Another 'look for'...If a injector is stuck, the plunger can be stuck also (plunger downwards), if you're feeling brave (not safe way), disconnect fuel jumper lines, rocker arms, flip rockers and smack the injector with plastic hammer to free up...

82-40 should have (solid) rack levers...

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Haha I'm over half deaf anyway. My 7 year old has learned to be looking me in the eye when he talks, I guess he doesn't like hearing me say "huh?" Sad thing is I'm only 38! Too many years of racing, loud music and working around big iron I suppose.

I was actually nicknamed after the wrestler Junkyard Dog because my first two initials are JD, somewhere along the way it was shortened to Junkyard. Yes it's very appropriate!

Do you think there's a 12 step program for people like us? Or me?

joelmartin

Occupation
CEO AZ Technical,LLC
How long has it been sitting? If the actual throttle linkage is stuck it makes me think and injector is stuck in which case if it did start if would rev to the moon! What is the owner trying to get for it? Scrap or slightly more is probably the best it'll bring as anybody interested will have a fair amount of freight in it. Post some pics if you have some. I'd like to see what the old girl looks like.

joelmartin

Occupation
CEO AZ Technical,LLC
That's kind of what I thought, that if one injector is stuck it holds the entire rail in wide open.. I'll see when I can get over there next for further efforts.
She'll likely accept any reasonable offer.
I could post pics. But let me get it running first. We may list it on iron planet also.. Thanks very much to all of you. I'll try to update when I'm done

nowing75

Haha I'm over half deaf anyway. My 7 year old has learned to be looking me in the eye when he talks, I guess he doesn't like hearing me say "huh?" Sad thing is I'm only 38! Too many years of racing, loud music and working around big iron I suppose.

I was actually nicknamed after the wrestler Junkyard Dog because my first two initials are JD, somewhere along the way it was shortened to Junkyard. Yes it's very appropriate!

Do you think there's a 12 step program for people like us? Or me?
Sounds like me. Have always had race cars and I work on airplanes so my hearing is not so good

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
If it's in lebec your just down the road from me do you still have the dozer we're you able to get it running

joelmartin

Occupation
CEO AZ Technical,LLC
I've been preoccupied with trying to stay "ALIVE!" with having well into triple digits heat in Bakersfield this week.
But soon here I'll see what I can do with it. Nobody bought it yet that I am aware of.

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
What model Detroit is it?? Pictures. I now a guy who may want it, out of Stockton.

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
I've been preoccupied with trying to stay "ALIVE!" with having well into triple digits heat in Bakersfield this week.
But soon here I'll see what I can do with it. Nobody bought it yet that I am aware of.
I hear you on that one it's been rough and miserable all week can't wait to see some pictures