• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scrap Iron

Old Doug

I haul scrap and from the very start of doing this years ago have been trying to figure out if it is worth it or not to cut stuff up to get more money out of it. I can get sometimes 50.00 more a ton but it takes time and torch gas to do it. I have a buddy that scraps on a biger scale than i do and he dosent cut stuff up. Most place i work have around a ton or so that i could cut up but i would have to have a seperate trailer or haul it home and throw it off to save to make a load.I will end up with 4 or more 2ton trucks that i could cut there frames and axles up but there agin is it money wise to do.

Diagonal Brace

Just curious as to what you are getting a ton for regular steel?
We are at $200 CDN a ton here in Winnipeg

As for cutting it up it depends on what else is pressing for your time.

Old Doug

The price changes alot but shred is 220.00 complete cars 240 and #2 any thing 1/8 or thicker under 18 inches by 3 feet was 260 #1 strucheral steel 280. When i started if you had one car on top of your load they gave car price. Now they want cars with nothing in them.Things have changed when i started i bought cars for 30.00 a peace and hauled them 3 at a time for 40.00 a ton. It cost less than 20.00 for gas and a snack to haul them 90 miles.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Good question and it depends on what your time is worth - something you can only answer.

The only scrapping I do is when I demo buildings. Demo'd a 3K sf house a couple of weeks ago and separated all the metal, didn't sort it as to the type of metal. I let my guys get the non-ferrous scrap as a little bonus.

That house netted $800 +/- and I loaded in a 30 yard and paid $100 for the haul to the scrap yard. I think it was around 7K lbs, or $.11 a pound there a bouts for tin, which is the going rate in my area. I can only get tin price since I throw it all in together from light fixtures to stove inserts. There were appliances, iron, metal gutters, HVAC duct, etc in the load.

I loaded a 30 yard full on that one. The way I look at it is I saved a $400 can fee and made $800 for a swing of $1100 (minus $100 haul fee) - worth the time to separate the scrap as I'm taking down the house.

hmburner

Hope you dont mind me jumping in on this one
I have been in the scrap business now for thirty years mostly working as a burner for large yards. Cutting scrap with a torch costs money per ton produced. A torch can also produce large amounts of weight in a short time making the scrap more profitable. Truck frames and axles are not that heavy and less than a semi load would cost you money to produce short steel. Ever cut a truck rear end filled full of oil with a torch ? makes and interesting light show.
So the answer to your question is no. In your case,do you have access to a quickcut saw ? that way you can cut them apart enough to haul

just my two canadian cents worth