• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

School

T#5

Occupation
cermic tile setter
Hello, thanks for the membership. after many hours of searching for this type of forum, i almost gave up. i found the link while browsing "dirt talk", which is the only other site i could find. this is what i was looking for. i am 37 and a single father of a 13 yr.old girl looking for a carrer change. currently self employed in residential construction. i'm seeking any input from within this group about training. i live in the s.CA desert and plan to attend a training program. can work out financing, transportation, daughters well-being etc. have rec'vd info from schools abroad. now reaching the decision-making point. before commiting though, i value any info available from the pros here. again, thank you for your time

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums!:drinkup

Browse around, I recall a thread where a member is in training at just such a school like you mention. Don't be afraid to ask any question, there's a great group here with years of experience!

John Banks

There is a school, here on the East Coast in New York that will train you on equipment. The full program includes a dozer, excavator, backhoe and a loader. They also offer CDL training. I have the info somewhere here. I'll find it a let you know the name of the company. They run all Cat equipment and it seems like a real good program.

T#5

Occupation
cermic tile setter
thanks john, first i've heard about a course in NY. west coast is my preference, (closer to home) but i'm seeking quality training. so, yeah i'd appreciate any info u got. especially from one i haven't discovered. what do ya think of this forum? i'm surprised at how much garble there is to go through on other sites!:bash this one seems more... informative. seen all positive content so far. think i'll take my question out to the big kids' section. i'll be watchin out 4 that info.

thanks again,
tom 5

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
Try S.Nevada,we are hurting for hvy equipment people.My company prefers to move our laborers into operating positions.1, because they've established themselves as dependable employees,2,most experienced operators,in this area,anyway,are chasing the money,first offer they get for more money,they quit,most come back.KW Pipeline is known for working year round,and being loyal to it's loyal employees.I've been with them for 14 years,and have seen more guys go from shovel to cab,than new hires that stick around.
We've got more ex-employees, working for more municipalities in Clark County,than any other contractor I know.The owner has never held a guy back from getting a better deal.
The market around here is so firece,I couldn't give a $19.00 an hour fuel truck job away.Took me 3 months to fill the position.Most recent guy took $15.00 an hour and I put tools on the truck.

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
application

Found out that our fax was out of toner.Could've faxed you the app,but mailed it anyway.Sorry.Talked to the super,and he has no problem with looking over your app,still hiring,things are getting busy,should be a long winter.Not that we have ever had a slow one,at least not in the 14 years I've been here.
Hope to hear from you.A little dedication goes a long ways around here.

T#5

Occupation
cermic tile setter
Hey thanks Buddy,
Thought my fax was on the blink. It's ok though. Just have a couple extra days to wait. Found out that I know a couple friends that have family in that area. I'll let ya know when it comes and see how's best for getting it back. I'm checking out the demographics for the area now and so far looks good. Again thanks, contact you soon.

T#5:D