• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

say go union or say no union?

dirtslinger

What are the pros/cons of joining the IUOE? Local 12 is accepting applications for the apprenticeship program now. And since Im, as of this afternoon, looking for employment, Im really considering looking into it.
However, I dont know the first thing about unions. A sorta family member is a member of IBEW, but never really talk to him about the union itself. Only occasionally I hear that he's unemployed or working out of town 6 days out of the week. But thats comparing apples to oranges
As far as experience I have 2000+ hours in a backhoe, 300 or so in an 330c, and about the same in a 966. Not a whole lot, but enough to make me fairly competent. I think? I wont count seat time in other equipment as the time isnt really all that tallyable. Thats not a word, but it sounds good.

Do I 'lose' that experience and start at ground zero?
What are the chances of being accepted into the apprenticeship program?
How does the program work? etc etc etc.

Any suggestions, hints, etc would be greatly appreciated.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Go Union, Its hard to find the words to tell you how it was one of the best decisions in my life. I really do not know what to say other than that if you are gonna be working in this industry for more than 5 years, being union is important to being able to live better.

surfer-joe

I saw the ad in the paper, and in the Bakersfield area, it's a definite plus to go union. The IUOE offers better training, better benefits, and better wages than anyone I can think of in town that hire's equipment operators. You also become eligible to transfer to other area locals if work in Bakersfield slows down.

You can work for Ken Small, you can work for Total-Western, you can work for one of the oil outfits like Halliburton or Shell, but with those non-union companies you are on your own, not they are all that bad to work for. But having the union at your back is better.

Keep in mind too, that congressman Bill Thomas, before he retired, heaped hundreds of millions of dollars on Kern County before he left office for transportation construction. It's been enough time since then for the planning and engineering stages for much of that work to be done. Now should be about the time for dirt to be moved, and large union firms like Granite will get a large portion of that work. It really ought to be a good time to be an operator in Kern County.

Good Luck!

Steele

The best career move I ever made was to join IUOE, Local 12 back in the early 80's. Not sure where you stand as far as experience, but if your not Journeyman status then the apprenticeship program is second to none.

Operating Engineers is one of the last unions left that hasn't broke weak.

If you're looking for the best training available, and a union that you can count on, Operating Engineers is your choice.