• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Because Haulback asked a question in another thread, I was perusing some old books I had. In Contract Loggers 1972 there is a full page ad for a Madill type 062 three drum yarder. It is advertised as an "all new interlock yarder." the ad continues on, stating that it would soon be working on Oregon's old growth fir by mid October 1972.

I have never seen one, and I cannot find any reference to an 062 in this thread. What was it, did it morph into something else or was it a bust? Somebody out there knows.

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Because Haulback asked a question in another thread, I was perusing some old books I had. In Contract Loggers 1972 there is a full page ad for a Madill type 062 three drum yarder. It is advertised as an "all new interlock yarder." the ad continues on, stating that it would soon be working on Oregon's old growth fir by mid October 1972.

I have never seen one, and I cannot find any reference to an 062 in this thread. What was it, did it morph into something else or was it a bust? Somebody out there knows.

Just curious. Is there any chance you could post the add? I’m interested.

Thanks, DBDLS

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Looking at photos of different 052s, it dosen't appear so, there are several appendages that do not match. However, it just might be something that either followed the 052 or preceded the 052. When was the 052 first produced? I have my doubts about a mis-print, Madill would have checked the ad over prior to printing and a mistake like that would stand out I would think.

wornout wrench

So going back to the 062 issue.

Many, many years ago, when I was much younger and still had hair, I was working for Interfor at Cleagh Creek. I'm thinking about 1994-95.

The company decided that they wanted to resurrect a 046 that was on a trailer. I believe it was an old Fletcher Challenge machine that was from the Midcoast region.

We needed it to be self mobile so Madill found an old machine up in Alaska somewhere that was on a rubber tired carrier.

I am not sure of what the Model number of the machine was but I think it was pretty much a one off.

I don't know too much about the winch, but I do remember that it was an interloc machine. I think that it had oil cooled clutches and it had a big ole cat for power, might have been a V-12.

I never saw the winch whole. As with lots of old logging iron back then, no one wanted it so it was cut up for scrap.

My memory has faded a bit over time but I seem to remember that the carrier was a bit heavier than what was usually under a 009. Madill had to do a bit of engineering and repairs to get the carrier up to standards to pack the 046, but not that much.

I left Interfor before I ever saw the 046 pull in a single stick of wood, never heard how it worked out.

So, I don't know if i have cleared anything up, or just added to the mystery. Could this have been the 062?

But I do know that I would have loved to have seen the machine whole before it was cut up for scrap.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Wonder if this is a mis-print for the 052?

Also great find.

Many, many years ago, when I was much younger and still had hair, I was working for Interfor at Cleagh Creek. I'm thinking about 1994-95.

The company decided that they wanted to resurrect a 046 that was on a trailer. I believe it was an old Fletcher Challenge machine that was from the Midcoast region.

We needed it to be self mobile so Madill found an old machine up in Alaska somewhere that was on a rubber tired carrier.

I am not sure of what the Model number of the machine was but I think it was pretty much a one off.

I don't know too much about the winch, but I do remember that it was an interloc machine. I think that it had oil cooled clutches and it had a big ole cat for power, might have been a V-12.

I never saw the winch whole. As with lots of old logging iron back then, no one wanted it so it was cut up for scrap.

My memory has faded a bit over time but I seem to remember that the carrier was a bit heavier than what was usually under a 009. Madill had to do a bit of engineering and repairs to get the carrier up to standards to pack the 046, but not that much.

I left Interfor before I ever saw the 046 pull in a single stick of wood, never heard how it worked out.

So, I don't know if i have cleared anything up, or just added to the mystery. Could this have been the 062?

But I do know that I would have loved to have seen the machine whole before it was cut up for scrap.

Also great find.

Also great find.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired

Also great find.
Furpo,here in BC there is a site for viewing cameras on cruise ships. Looking at on today. Ship is tied up at Napier. NZ. In the background is what appears to be many many cubic meters of decked logs. Is this correct? Logs going for export? Bp

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler

I'm pretty sure that may be a one and only if it had a Madill pipe on it . It was bought new for by BCFP Caycuse Div. . After Fletcher Challenge took over and joined Renfrew & Caycuse Division's to create Honeymoon Bay Division (HBO) , that Madill 046 Slackline Tower was sold off with some other surplus equipment around 1993-94 . There may have been another Madill 046 mounted on a trailer at Caycuse but it was made out of some parts from a View Spar , and was put together in Caycuse shop .

furpo

Furpo,here in BC there is a site for viewing cameras on cruise ships. Looking at on today. Ship is tied up at Napier. NZ. In the background is what appears to be many many cubic meters of decked logs. Is this correct? Logs going for export? Bp

Correct. Napier is at a guess our 3rd biggest export port. Tauranga is by far the biggest. The export market down here is good for the time being

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler

Got a call from Rob Norman this afternoon . He tells me the Madill 046 on trailer carrier was bought by BCFP Caycuse Div in mid 1970's , BCFP #27-17 ( powered by Cat ) . Rob was the last Operator to run it and it left HBO around 1994 , being moved to the Sandspit Div. . The other Caycuse 046 that was mounted on a trailer carrier using a View Spar Tower and Guyline system was also moved to the Sandspit Div. prior to the amalgamation of Caycuse & Renfrew Division's to creat HBO (1992) . Not sure what happened to them after they left Caycuse and got to Sandspit .

TorkelH

I don't know much about the 062 other than it was a one of a kind, serial nbr 48100 and it was mounted on the only produced 069 4 axle carrier with a series "S" spar. The normal 009's had 065 RTC carriers and the much bigger 046 slacklines had the more heavy 078 carrier. I'm not sure, but I think the 069 may be the carrier for the 046 in this post: S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC. Please correct me! I have never seen a picture of the 062 before I saw Jumbo's post here, but it looks very much like a 009. Just like the 009 it was also a 3 drum yarder (main, haulback, straw) but it had a 600 hp CAT D346 as powerplant, making it the most powerful 90 feet/yarder combination ever delivered by Madill! The typical 009/90 ft of the 1970's was of type 3-500 (3 drums-500hp) with CAT 65B (1693/D343) inline 6 cylinder engines and 3-450 with GM12V71.

Last edited: