• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
So sad. Lots of fine equipment came out those doors over the years. I was lucky to have a tour of the place in 1989 when I was taking my pre-apprenticeship course. It was amazing to see! There was two grapple yarders under construction and one in the paint shop that day. I had never seen such a big facility before.

wornout wrench

It's funny.
As long as I drove past the old buildings, I always had a wee spark of hope that someday, some way Madill would some how arise again.

Seeing the post about the demotion has poured a bucket of water on that spark.

I have spent a good portion of my 40 plus years as a mechanic pulling wrenches on Madill's.
Make no mistake. It is a love/hate relationship.
Too many nights up to your neck in gear dope with a westcoast down pour raining down on you will do that.

But they were/are tough old machines and I have made a lot of money from keeping them running.

Very sad day to see the building go away.

To the old Madill employee's.
Thank you!

HDX

Back in the 70's alway's remember all the pick up box's stacked up beside the building on the highway side. Always thought they were there to tease everybody.

dirty4fun

While am am Johnny come lately it brings a tear to my eye to see such a great machine's buildings being torn down. Totally sicking to see what has happened to the timber industry. How the government and big business has totally wrecked it for so many people.