• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Camp tramp when you drove this truck was it always hard to start we have been battling this problem for too long? Or was before it got the cummins in it?
Never had a problem starting it when it had a GM V12-71
AFTER THE THE 600 Cummins was installed it had some issues one of them was it was not consistent starting 9 out of 10 times you could shut it off during the day and restart it . Then out of the blue it would not restart , shut everything off turn off the master switch let it sit for haft an hour , go back turn everything back on and hit starter , away it would go . Drove us "Nuts" . I don't think anybody ever did figure it out . The #40-139 an exBCFP P16 Pacific had the same engine installed , never had any trouble starting it that I know of .
At that time I had no experience with engines controlled by Computers . After driving a Lemon of a highway truck with a bad Brain Box under the hood , I would say there was something the matter with the Brain Box or something hooked up wrong to the Brain Box in that truck .

Last edited:

dirty4fun

Very nice your driver is one very lucky guy. The steerable axle would make the trailer quite handy to operate in some places.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Cypresscreeklog,nice job on the whole unit. Was this all done in house,is there another radio mounted at the back of the cab and does truck also haul logs? He must get a long way from home sometimes.one more question,does unit have Jake as well as Retarder? Only way to go

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
The Cummins had a Jake in it , trans had a retarder in it . Its been awhile but don't think you could engage both it was either Jake or Retarter .

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
camptramp,I had the GM and I could use both together and this was the same for the rest of the GM engines. Something different with Cummins I guess

skadill

Yarder stuff

madill collection pics

Attachments

• img383.jpg
    img383.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,891
  • img384.jpg
    img384.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,895
  • img385.jpg
    img385.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,888

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Drum set/power

Wonder what color it is painted , Tahsis Co bought a couple of those and installed them on Sgagit Towers in the early 70's in Zeballos. One only lasted one day when it was towered up. One of the squares hung up when telescoping the pipe up and it fell over right on the new winches .Drove the motor right down in to the bottom of the carrier

skadill

Wonder what color it is painted , Tahsis Co bought a couple of those and installed them on Sgagit Towers in the early 70's in Zeballos. One only lasted one day when it was towered up. One of the squares hung up when telescoping the pipe up and it fell over right on the new winches .Drove the motor right down in to the bottom of the carrier

These photos are mostly all black and white,including these.The quality of these pics is museum quality-they are mostly full size 8"x!0"s.The clearness doesnt show up once posted here.You can see a spec of sand on the floor,and read the serial number plates in others.Obviously Madill comissioned the best photographers and quality.Neat story there though,thanks for any background on these Madill history pics.The Skagit carriers with the Madill Drumsets were obviously nicknamed Skadill's.I've borrowed the term as a handle now for years-it just seemed cool.I believe only 6 or 8 were ever made,but can't confirm that

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
You are right about the best photographers. A lot of these pics were taken for sales brochures and the covers of the annual financial reports. The colour of the winch in post 2374 is yellew .d.d.

skadill

Early Tower

no info,from the madill archives.Can just see a dozer in first pic,behind the men,same shade as the ground in a black and white photo

Attachments

• img415.jpg
    img415.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,263
  • img416.jpg
    img416.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,269
Last edited:

Inter674

image.jpgThis Madill has been sitting at the side of the road 1 hour from Hobart Tas for at least 4 years now. More and more parts are going missing including the turbo, hydraulic tank etc.

At one time there were 16 Madills working in this and other forest areas of Tasmania. The environmentalists have put most of them out of work now.

Last edited: