• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rusty Bolts & Lubricants Fun Facts

PRDiesel

Just got this in an email from a friend and thought it was kind of interesting... not sure of the truthfulness but I'm always looking for the next best thing!

Rusty Bolts & Lubricant Fun Facts

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.
Significant results! They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.
*Don't forget the April 2007 "Machinist's Workshop" magazine comparison test.*
*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque
required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment. *

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ........ 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.*
*Note the* "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.*
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.
Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price. *
*Your experience may vary, etc., etc.*

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I find PB Blaster great but will try a mix of ATF and acetone. I use a bunch on scaffolding jacks.:drinkup

Tex3406

I think most of those product names must be American, but I saw a test that was done here in Australia a few years ago. Plain diesel worked a little better than products like WD40, CRC, RP7, Penetrene.

The main difference is aerosol can products can be more convenient to use, and also have moisture dispersing qualities that diesel doesn't.

j&d

Occupation
Crop & Livestock Producer
Thanks PRDiesel. Thats interesting and useful. I wonder what a "scientific rusted" environment might consist of.
The ATF-Acetone mix has been discussed on some of the ag forums I frequent. A proper storage container (some plastics are not suitable) and gloves were recommended when using this concoction. I personally have not tried it.

scholzee

There is also the Flamability aspect to acetone , I know some of the others are flamable but the do have non-flamable products also.