• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rock guard

GEORGIOS198217

Hi to every one. I have a cat grader h series I bought it used and the rock guard behind the mouldboard is missing. Have someone an idea what to do to protect the hoses behind the mouldboard?I ask for the original but is really expensive

Welder Dave

I see 3 optional guards listed on a brochure but not sure if any of them are what you require. Can you post a pic. of the hoses you want to protect? I'd guess a steel cover could be made but would need to see where the hoses are. Looking at standard pics. I don't see any exposed hoses on the back of the moldboard. Could be because of the guard you're talking about though. The other thought is maybe steel lines were replaced with hoses. A pic. would be a great help.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The company below manufactures aftermarket guards. If you give them a part number and a scan of the parts book page, they may be able to fabricate one for you.

However, I suspect it may be a lot cheaper if you can find a local metal manufacturer, and ask them to fabricate one for you. Most guards are relatively simple to manufacture.

Welder Dave

From what I can see, looking at a brochure, it looks like the guards are basically a piece of plate bent to enclose the back of blade including the hoses. The plate goes from below the slide shift cylinder up most of the height of the moldboard. If the machine isn't used for much backblading or working in a lot of rocks and the operator is paying attention I think you could still use the machine for most applications until you had the guards made. Shouldn't be too hard to make for a fab. shop with a press brake. Need to make sure they don't interfere with side shifting the blade to either side. I couldn't tell if the guards are attached to the curved arms coming from the drawbar.

Queenslander

Pic was taken late on a smokey afternoon, but this is what they look like.
They just drop over the long bolt on the top of the mouldboard and the brackets fasten them to the big round beam on the bottom.
They don’t do a lot to protect hoses.
We do a lot of bush work and find that nearly all hose damage is from sticks etc. coming over the top, so we don’t bother with the guards anymore.IMG_4024.jpeg