• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

RGN down for the count

Delmer

I wonder if it was overloaded enough to bend the pin, and what part that would have played in the series of events.

Shimmy1

I wonder if it was overloaded enough to bend the pin, and what part that would have played in the series of events.
I'm sure if the trailer could talk it'd scare the hell out of you. My uncle used to get machinery loads from the outfit that had it before me. Said that it had a flip on it just about all the time, and more than once was hooked to a jeep.

lantraxco

Yeah, in three weeks. It took XL 8 hrs. to get a blueprint to the dealer so we knew for sure what size it should be. 3 15/16". What an oddball. So, my machine shop is building one. Whatever they're using it comes oversize and they will turn it down to proper size. Drill the bolt holes in the ends for the lock collars. $850. Thought that is pretty reasonable. It's 64" long. And yes, I will be installing grease fittings in the pin bosses.

That used to be the way with shafting, all the raw material came rough, so a 4" rough piece of stock trued out to 3-15/16, about a 30 thousandths cut and polish it in.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
That used to be the way with shafting, all the raw material came rough, so a 4" rough piece of stock trued out to 3-15/16, about a 30 thousandths cut and polish it in.

Eggzactly....probably 4140-ht, tough enough, but at Rockwell Rc28-30 still machinable, and not going to shatter.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
shimmy1 do you know any one that does heavy hauling out of canada I bought a extec S5 today in edmonton and need it hauled at least back to north dakota or preferably back to NC kinda need it asap it has it own 3 axles in back and is about 75,000pds

Shimmy1

Ready to put pin in in the morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20150911_220852560.jpg
    IMG_20150911_220852560.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_20150911_220914693.jpg
    IMG_20150911_220914693.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 362

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I think I would put the pin in first and try greasing it and observe where the grease comes out. If it all tends to come out of the housing at the top where the grease fitting is located then you can pretty well guarantee the bottom of the pin isn't getting greased. That would make it a prime candidate for creating some sort of grease groove around the inner surface of the housing. A shallow groove maybe about 1/16-1/8" deep made with your deburring tool ought to work. All you need to do is get grease to move from the fitting location at the top of the housing right round the surface of the pin before it starts heading outwards.

Question: Does the pin tend to "walk" around while the trailer is in operation..?

Last edited:

Shimmy1

There are three fittings per boss, as the pics in post #27 show. It was a breeze to put together. Pushed it in by HAND up to the other side. A few taps with a 8# sledge and it was through. Greased up, could turn the pin round and round with my pliers on the bolt. Could not possibly have went any better.

Attachments

• IMG_20150912_115017199_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150912_115017199_HDR.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_20150912_102058286.jpg
    IMG_20150912_102058286.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_20150912_115052231.jpg
    IMG_20150912_115052231.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 473

lantraxco

I think you're golden.... I would bet the trick is to keep a grease gun in the gooseneck, give them all a shot when you have it disconnected so there's no load at all on the pin?

Shimmy1

I think you're golden.... I would bet the trick is to keep a grease gun in the gooseneck, give them all a shot when you have it disconnected so there's no load at all on the pin?
YA BUDDY. :beerchug Now if I could just find someone that will chip in for the $2000 bill to cut the old pin out. The guy was all smart@$$ when I called him, says "No problem, I'll blow them right out with the air arc." I said, "They are about 5-6" long, 4" in diameter." NO PROBLEM. Took him all day, 9 hrs, ended up cutting two with the torch.

Last edited:

lantraxco

I've done pins with an air arc, it's murder after the first inch. The air stream flows down alongside the carbon rod, it's designed to go sideways, not straight in.

The piercing setups work because the air or oxy stream is in the center, you can work it right on through.

Mag drill might have been a better bet, in 20/20 hindsight, drill it through, then drill it bigger, then use the biggest cutting torch tip you can get and blow it on out. After a bit you could probably let it cool and it would shrink and knock right out. File that for the next poor sod that has to do this.

Oxbow

I as going to ask how that went, if you had known that going in you might have been able to burn away at it yourself eh?

At least it is back together and will never be a problem again.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I've done pins with an air arc, it's murder after the first inch. The air stream flows down alongside the carbon rod, it's designed to go sideways, not straight in.

The piercing setups work because the air or oxy stream is in the center, you can work it right on through.

Mag drill might have been a better bet, in 20/20 hindsight, drill it through, then drill it bigger, then use the biggest cutting torch tip you can get and blow it on out. After a bit you could probably let it cool and it would shrink and knock right out. File that for the next poor sod that has to do this.
The answer for long large diameter pins is always the good old thermic lance ......

:IMO

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I'll second Nige on the oxy lance, burned several pins out of excavator booms with one, hot miserable work but nothing else will come close to what it will do.

Shimmy1

I as going to ask how that went, if you had known that going in you might have been able to burn away at it yourself eh?

At least it is back together and will never be a problem again.
It was a judgment call. Hire the work and keep working myself, or stay home and fix it. Moneywise, it was probably a wash, plus I still have my hair and eyeballs.