• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replacing a starter

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
I'm in need of replacing the starter on my Dozer. It's a 1991 dresser TD8G with cummins 4bt. Was wondering if a starter for a 6bt would fit. There's so many part #'s when I google it gets confusing. I know it's 12v 10tooth

Delmer

Probably, but you don't know what's in the way on the 4, or Dresser, that's not in the way on a 6.

If it was mine, I'd get it rebuilt if at all possible, or replace it with OEM. Not where I like to trust a cheap starter.

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
Well, I ran the #'s on the starter & they came back to a John Deere engine not even a cummins part # at all. So I'm assuming years ago someone used a Deere starter with a cummins nose cone. That's why I'm confused so much. I've found a couple different ones but not sure of which one I need. Does this starter need to be oil sealed? What exactly is that? I know I need 12v 10 tooth clockwise

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Starters don't really care what engine they are on so long as Bendix tooth count and mounting pattern are same. Most bell housings are designed for a common starter mount so all the need is for Bendix swaps.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Is your starter a two bolt mount or a three bolt mount, that's usually the only problem you have on these 3.9 and 5.9 engines. Get the serial number off the engine and call Cummins dealer they should be able to help. But also some of these engines were labeled Komatsu and may not be in cummins system.

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
It's a 3 bolt mount. I've got a new 1 that hopefully will work, haven't had a chance to fool with due to death in the family.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
It's a 3 bolt mount. I've got a new 1 that hopefully will work, haven't had a chance to fool with due to death in the family.
I'm sorry for your loss. I hope starter works out for you.If you have any more questions just let me know.