• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Repairing creeping Bobcat

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes Jim, Bobcat used two different size torsion bushings and they can't tell what size was used on your machine using serial number. All you have to do is measure the diameter of the bushing that presses into hole on pintle arm to determine which bushings you have.

Pintle arms have to be removed to replace torsion bushings. You can simply use a vice and appropriate sized sockets to push old bushings out and press new ones in.

As for centering spools, depends on what type is on there now. Some of the old spools had like a chrome finish on them, they would wear over time, but were pretty hard steel. On those you can typically rotate them and rotate the bars that they contact and get many more hours. If it's the newer style spools, they wear like crazy, it's a waste of time to rotate them as they won't last that long, better off changing over to cam followers.

The pump shaft seals, pretty easy to do once you get all the control components out of the way, just make sure you clean the area well before removing the plate that has the shaft seal in it. :)

Chris3558

Willie 59,

I want to say "thank you" for such a nice detailed proceedure! I am new to the forum as well as I just purchased my first bobcat, a 1992 7753 with 1540 actual hours. The centering blocks had never been flipped and they were just a little worn. The spools were in great shape with no flat spots, they must have used harder material back then. So I flipped the blocks to use the good side. My machine has tracks on it, so I played the game of raising and lower the cab everytime I made an adjustment instead of trying to raise the machine high enough with sagging tracks on it.....my cab lift cylinders are shot so this is quite a workout on your back, not to mention trying to fit into that small compartment and adjust those centering blocks. It can be a tedious pain as I probably made over 10 trials before getting it right, now I see why the Bobcat deal wants $500.00 to do this job. Thanks again!

Chris

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum Chris3558. :usa

I do hope the information was helpful. ;)

pholt34

Great info. My T190 creep has been getting worse since i bought it. Time to correct it. After I finish with some pressing tasks I will have to yank the track for a leak around the LH drive. Im sure Ill have questions on that when the time comes.

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
Just reused this thread to adjust my 863. Thanks again

jimsbcs

Thanks, I adjusted my 2009 s220 last night. the slotted block for right side wheels wasn't very tight and was causing the problem. also my spools are the roller bearing type, like you showed on the upgrade. I bought the machine new so they haven't been replaced. mine had no wear on the spools or blocks. I have 1200 hrs. on mine. Thanks again. Jim

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's awesome Jim. And I don't think I've greeted you, so, welcome to the forum. :usa

I am a bobcat mechanic ,work for a dealership for 9 years ,was the foreman for 4 years
and just wanna it to add a comment about the bushing in control arms,yea they are two sizes,
in all big frame machines like 863,873,the small bushing get replace with the big one
and also the control arms needs to be replace is an update from the factory
and also in almost in all small frame machines like 763,773,753,etc,

Orgnoi1

Occupation
Telecommunications
Thanks for such a fantastic thread... I have a question on "creep"... when on flat ground my 463 does not move... but when its on any sort of incline (even a tiny one) the machine wants to roll in the direction of the downhill... could this be caused by the same issues as the machine creeping?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
When they are on an incline, engine running, and parking brake released, they can roll Orgnoi1, this is likely the case with yours if it does it in both directions, fwd and rev. However, if it tends to only do this in one direction, I wager if you get your machine on stands, start engine and release brake, you would find wheels creeping, needing adjustment.

Orgnoi1

Occupation
Telecommunications
I think I will make the attempt to check that out this week... Mostly it does feel like it does it in reverse...so maybe there IS an issue there... Plus I have issues with the throw on both levers not being equal at full speed so there's an adjustment issue with that for sure... Thanks for the reply!

463's dont have to much play to adjust wheel speed,
however,if you follow the levers they attach to a bar call
crankbell which it has 2 bearings attach to the frame ,
you could get a litte of adjustment in there,also if you tires
are different size in OD this will affec your full speed.

Orgnoi1

Occupation
Telecommunications
Super Mechanic its not about the actual top speed... I drive configuration is faster than the other... so when you push both arms forward the skid turns slightly to the left...

Orgnoi1

Occupation
Telecommunications
When they are on an incline, engine running, and parking brake released, they can roll Orgnoi1, this is likely the case with yours if it does it in both directions, fwd and rev. However, if it tends to only do this in one direction, I wager if you get your machine on stands, start engine and release brake, you would find wheels creeping, needing adjustment.

I did some playing around to see where I am more or less moving by putting the machine on direct angles... its definately creeping rearward... I guess now its just finding the time to fix it...lol

I was talking about wheel speed,not top speed ,
neutral adjustment (creeping) and wheel speed are
different issues.Different sizes tires,weak drive motor,
will affect wheel speed in a 463.

Fred Bryant

Another item on my todo list that now is not a mystery. Thank's for the detailed post.

Thx's, Fred.

Demo_Contractor

Occupation
Demolition
Thanks for this thread, Im working on a G series 863 (1999) that wanders, there is allot of play in the aluminum dog bone on the left side that bolts to the hydro, that I believe I need to remedy before I can center this thing to neutral.

Anyhow, do I need to remove the "T" pipe in the middle coming out of the hydro to get this apart to remove that dog bone ?

One other questions, how do you get your pics to automatically open up on this forum ?

Picture002_zps009c1b1f.jpg