• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Renting attachments

JBarnett650

Hello,

I'm still relatively new to working for myself. I have a Bobcat T650 and lately I've been having to rent attachments for some jobs and am curious how other contractors charge for rented attachments. I've heard of increasing your hourly rates for the machine accordingly whenever using attachments. I've also seen people charging the customer for the rental costs. Is it appropriate to do both when renting? Or is it a one or the other situation? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

James

Mark13

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that an increased hourly rate based on the rental and charging the customer for the rental would be a pretty easy way to loose a lot of work to others who charge differently or own a larger variety of attachments and don't have to rent.

Todd v.

It's hard to pass that expense on to your customer IMO unless it's an unusual attachment because there are probably others out there who own it. I did some renting but have more or less quit doing work outside of using things I own. Also talk to the dealers and rental gardsabout used attachments for sale, you can pick up good deals on things you don't use often enough to justify buying new. And check your local Craigslist often.