• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Removing Beaver Dams

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
A very intresting and educational thread :notworthy
I had no idea these little ;) furry creatures were such a menace. Bloody good builders but a menace non the less.

Dirtman, great vid as always. Tell me you play those back and think to yourself sometimes mmmmmmmmmmm, was on the edge a bit there :D :notworthy

I do like to go back and watch them every now and then just to see all the stuff I do.

To tell the truth after watching that last video of me breaking the dam, I did not realize just how high the rear of the machine was up in the air as I was pulling the dam over. I did not want to get closer as I was going to be limited on the time I had to get out once I turned the water free, as you can tell it was right much!

There should be a update in my thread later, "pictures of my work"

lots of mud pics lol

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I swear if we keep watching all these dirtman videos its gonna make us all better operators.

I'm still on here to learn and become better, I've learned some good stuff over the year or so I've been on here. The videos are just for fun and to show all the crazy stuff we get to do.

Red Bank

I am impressed with Chris's skills on the excavator, but I am really impressed with his videos, would love to see him on Discovery Channel:notworthy, or may be some "how to operate" mail order videos:drinkup. Just kidding with you Chris, seriously every time I watch one of your clips I learn something new. Thanks for the time and trouble you go to with the pictures and the videos, does the Boss ever tell you to put the camera down?

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I am impressed with Chris's skills on the excavator, but I am really impressed with his videos, would love to see him on Discovery Channel:notworthy, or may be some "how to operate" mail order videos:drinkup. Just kidding with you Chris, seriously every time I watch one of your clips I learn something new. Thanks for the time and trouble you go to with the pictures and the videos, does the Boss ever tell you to put the camera down?

Thanks man, I dont think I'm too bad for a 21 year old kid:D

It does take some time to get all the pictures and videos. My boss, who is also my uncle likes to watch them on youtube and see what I do on his time! lol

He just laughs at me and shakes his head. He really does like all the pictures I take as it helps him keep track of all the work we do and it's good to show potential customers what we can do... or I can do:D

Last edited:

Wolf

busting up beaver dams

Here is another good video of busting some more beaver dams, sorry for some reason the quality of the video did not come out the best in the world when I uploaded it. The song fits the video just perfect!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTSkbqKCvlI

bet the little critters are surprised when they come home at night and find out you've busted up their home. oh well, tough luck, I guess. Did you ever catch any beavers in the dam when you put the bucket through the dam? That would be pretty funny to see. Make yourself a nice beaver coat, I guess.

Northart

Palace Guards Hats ?

Hello Atlasrob,

Maybe you can stroll over and find out, or pick up the telly ?? LOL :) Your closer than me . :)

So where do they get their fur Hats from ?? :beatsme

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
So where do they get their fur Hats from ?? :beatsme

I am informed that they are Bear skin. Some people wanted that stopped as it was deemed cruel to the bears, but I believe they are already dead before being made into those fancy hats ;)

Catpower

Occupation
Electrician, equipment operator
I saw a beaver dam the other year when out hunting/ quading. It had to be 10 high and the same wide at the bottom! It had a great big hole in it and was just a small stream. WoW! It was alot taller the me.

cowdogteamroper

Hey a tip: U better not leave ur equipment by the swamp or them bever will run it and rebuild it over night! That ll be hilirous LOL

30 dirty years

Occupation
Jak of all trades
Taking out beaver dams was always a good job :) you get paid to make a path to get to them and paid to take them out. :waving and you get to come back every year and do it again.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 888

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Removing Beaver Dams:

Taking out beaver dams was always a good job :) you get paid to make a path to get to them and paid to take them out. :waving and you get to come back every year and do it again.

How right you are 30... and sometimes it's even less than a year... ;)

OCR... :)

Richardjw~

MtnHermit

Beaver Dams 101

I've read every post in this thread looking for tips on beaver dams. The main conclusion, get rid of the beavers, then the dam. Easier said than done.

I have a series of smallish BD on a small stream at a surface road crossing. The pond has lately been getting 2' deep, 30' across, not a big problem in summer, impassable in winter when it freezes. I've been crossing the same creek for twelve years, this is the first time the beavers have dammed so close to and flooded the crossing.

I used a pick and removed all the dams in two-hours the other day, three days later they were all rebuilt, perhaps overnight? When the flow goes down in Sept-Oct, I will rent a backhoe to widen and clear the stream. In the meantime, need some advice to get rid of the beavers.

Someone suggested removing the BD repeatedly and that would get rid of the beavers. Will it?

Another suggestion was pepper and salad oil mixed, will that do anything?

I don't own a gun, and I'm not fond of motor oil in a bottle in the pond. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....