• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

questions about new mustang hydraulic breaker hammer

Lindsey97

just bought a brand new mustang hammer from texasskidsteer.com today. it is a 2013, m5p model, serial # m130012, weight of 250kg.

it is setup for my skid steer with a quick-tach plate. it has never been used, and has no hoses or couplers.

one of my concerns is that since it is new, does it have the proper nitrogen charge in it? i did find the grease zerk, but no schrader valve for nitrogen.

do i need to use grease or do i need chisel paste? please let me know.....

also i looked on their website, and couldnt verify the model number, but my hammer is virtually identical to the skid steer model. what gives?

cant find a phone # on their website, www.mustanghammer.com

i have only rented and operated a hammer one time, and would appreciate some advice on this unit and if any of you have experience with mustang hammers please chime in.

thank you!!

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
You really should have a manual for the hammer. The people you bought the hammer from should be able to provide that. I have an Okada and Husky hammer and they use N but some hammers don't use N at all. Perhaps yours does not. Both of my hammers say to grease the bushing every two hours (typical grease). Make sure you plumb the hammer correctly since the hoses are not on the machine. You should also know at what gpm your hammer likes to operate at. I had a 1000 pound Esco that needed 30 gpm to run. That is something you should know before you buy, so that it matches the carrier, unless you can vary your flow on the carrier than it might not matter. Most hammers don't require much flow, but they are all different. I had never heard of Mustang hammers before, after looking at the website and the way its been converted to English, I would guess they are Chinese.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
After further reading, it says the components are made in Europe, but assembled in a 9001 certified plant. Interesting word choices.

Lindsey97

thanks KSSS. always love reading your posts on here. i am planning on putting the largest hose possible for flow. i am afraid the hammer is chinese.

let me tell you how i wound up with it: i tried to rent one, but cant find any to rent here in oklahoma due to the moore,ok tornado damage. i looked for used on craigslist and machinery trader, and couldnt find any that were close to me. i am scared of buying a used one and not trying it out before buying. i purchased a midwestern attchments 4in1 bucket from texasskidsteers.com and they treated me really well. they had two used ones; one called an eliminator was leaking, the other was not.

so i drove to springtown texas to pick up the kent hammer which wasnt leaking for 3,600.00 they demoed the kent hammer on a t190, and it made it approx 45 seconds and then developed a severe leak out the top. they apologized, and offered to reduce the price. i declined and then they offered me a new mustang hammer for $4000.00 he had two of them, brand new. i decided to take my chances on the new one.

it says on the serial tag: weight 250kg, relief bar 200, working bar 130, flow ltr/minute 35-50.

if my math is right, that is 9-13 gallons per minute. and 250kg equals 551 lbs. dont know if that is ft lbs. of output of what the unit phsically weighs.

they won the 2 mustang hammers at auction and there was no paperwork. overall i feel that www.texasskidsteer.com treated me very good and were very honest and straightfoward. i have never had anyone offer me an item like this in this situation. i will definitely buy from them again.

Lindsey97

just got an email from mustang hammer. they said it takes 5 bar of nitrogen. comes out to 72lbs. i replied asking if it comes charged from the factory. waiting for a reply.

Lindsey97

thought i would give an update on the hammer. turns out it did have nitrogen in it from the factory. after operating it for less then 4 hrs. the hammer developed a leak. i shut it down and contacted united rentals to ask who repairs their hammers. they reccomended S&D hydraulics in Oklahoma City.

i took the hammer to S&D and they took a few days doing research. what they found was that the hammer is made in france. the parts are hard to get. there is a distributor in Boston, and they have to order the parts from france. S&D asked $2500 to get started on the hammer and i declinded due to it being new. they also informed me of a parts supplier of theirs in florida that stated he has in excess of 20 mustang hammers in a pile, that are new, and cant be fixed due to piston seizure. this is exactly what mine was doing, and it was new.

I informed S&D that i could trade back the mustang hammer for a used kent, and they strongly insisted that i do so ASAP. i returned the hammer to texasskidsteer.com and traded for two other skid steer attachments. very happy with the outcome. i also purchased a Kent F5 from united rentals. had the F5 on rent for a week, it ran flawless and i decided to buy it. it is a 2010 model.

there was a lot of good that came out of this. i found a great hydraulic shop that also builds drive motors for CTL's. also learned alot about hammers. basically if its not a kent, furukawa, bobcat, or stanley run away from it.

if anyone needs a pump, lift cylinder, breaker hammer, or drive motor rebuilt, contact S&D hydraulics at 405-429-5276. ask for dustin or carey. great people to deal with.

Lindsey97

does anyone have any advice on storing a hammer? i have been told you are not suppposed to lay them on their side. supposed to store them standing up because it prevents a flat spot from occuring on a piston seal or something? please chime in and let me know.