• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pyrometer

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Way back the "B" model Macks had a big (I think six inch) pyro mounted in a bracket on the dash. It made a convenient place to hang your hat . . . and you never really wanted to know just what that needle said.

With 237hp grossing over 150,000 pounds on a 110 degree day around Christmas time it didn't take all that much of a hill to put it off the scale. That I reckon is probably the best excuse to fit a pyro . . . if there is something left in the box you can drop a cog and take a bit of load off the engine.

We didn't have that option, but still those engines lived . . . I mean to say when you are in bog-cog on a fifteen minute pull and she's a needle width past 1400 degrees what you gonna do?

Cheers.

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
It made a convenient place to hang your hat . . . and you never really wanted to know just what that needle said.

Cheers.

Lol... a friend of mine told me about a guy that had rigged up propane injection on his truck... he ask the guy, "how high does you're pyro go?"

The guy said... "I don't want to know, so I hang my hat on it"...

Lol... I was kinda supprised, when I read your post... but it's an honest to God true story.

Lol...
when you are in bog-cog

OCR

Fastdirt

I have been dabbling in Exhaust temperatures lately. I have the Cat 3406E and the truck has a stock pyrometer. Your 3406B could possibly have a threaded fitting or "bung" already in the exhaust outlet that is just plugged with a plug. That would be great! I removed my stock pyro probe so that the Power Box probe would plug in. It has a digital readout that is almost instantaneous. It's amazing how I drive according to that gauge. If you are lugging the temp, immediately goes up. When you downshift and bring the RPM's up it drops down quick. I never go over 900 out of fear. I can just let out of the throttle or drop a gear and slow down to keep it cooler. When your daydreaming you can be lugging up a hill loaded and not realize it at the time but your temp has gotten way up there. I constantly monitor my water and exhaust temp.

I don't have a pyro on my L9000 L10. It has a turned up fuel pump and pulling my machine it scales at 67,000 lbs.. I am always floor boarding that little small block. I can't imagine how hot she get's. It doesn't have the option to let up because it's already full throttle on any hill with the big blocks flying by me in the left lane. Basically it's out of sight out of mind. Not a good thing but that's the case for now.

Now the turbo gauge I installed on the CAT motor is very cool to me. The turbo outlet tube was casted with a fitting from the factory and it installed in less than 10 minutes. You can get that at Pittsburgh Power for $60 and it comes with the quick connect air line. If you want to dash mount it you have to order the dash mount housing. They have them too.