• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Proper use of skidsteer throttle?

Jeff D.

Countryboy said:
Digger, as Super Mod I would expect better patroling of your threads to keep this from happening.:mad:
Who do you think taught everyone here how to thread hi-jack?:bouncegri

You just know this forum has to be under survailance as often as the word "Hi-jack" is brought up.

I'm just glad I don't actually mention the word "Hi-jacker" in my signiture.
Squizzy

Its better to be ignorant and ask a Stupid Question than to be plain Dumb and not ask at all - Screamed by High School Maths Teacher, 1979

Limestone Wall Builder
Budget Deficit Controller
Thread Hi-Jacker
I've heard vegemite is something like dynamite, except it's taken orally. It also explains why Austalians are so fond, and never far away from these.https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showpost.php?p=11835&postcount=14
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showpost.php?p=11836&postcount=15

So, whatever you do, don't pull Squizzy's finger no matter what he say's will happen!!:nono

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Digger, as Super Mod I would expect better patroling of your threads to keep this from happening

If I don't allow my own threads to be hijacked, then I'll be expected to keep everybody else's threads from being hijacked too! That would be a lot like having to work. :yup

Maybe Beccy Cole is coming out with a new song about not running your skidsteer at half throttle? (They sing about some strange stuff Down Under...) :)

And this is Vegemite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite(Although, personally, I prefer my thread hijackings to be about Pineapple Upside Down cake.)

Attachments

• Vegemitesm.jpg
    Vegemitesm.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
That bottle just makes me feel dunny......I mean funny:dizzy . Does this make me an accomplice to this hi-jacking?:spaz

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
We're hap-py lit-tle veg-e-mites
as bright as bright can be,
we all en-joy our Ve-ge-mite
for break-fast, lunch, and tea
our mum-mies say we're grow-ing stron-ger
eve-ry sin-gle week
be-cause we love our Ve-ge-mite
we all a-dore our Ve-ge-mite
it puts a rose in eve-ry cheek

well that or Bananas

(from the Better half)

smalltime

This is away from the vegemite & back on the throttle issue, but today I was running our case 455 track loader, & had the throttle thing in the back of my mind when it hit me, the 455 & our 1840 have the came Cummins engine. The 455 has a foot pedal (like an auto) & the 1840 has a hand throttle which you set. I am not sure it matters to the engines what level they run at.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
This is away from the vegemite & back on the throttle issue, but today I was running our case 455 track loader, & had the throttle thing in the back of my mind when it hit me, the 455 & our 1840 have the came Cummins engine. The 455 has a foot pedal (like an auto) & the 1840 has a hand throttle which you set. I am not sure it matters to the engines what level they run at.

Well, you know, if you are going to un-hijack a thread, it's good to provide some useful information. Thank you. That was a very good point! :thumbsup

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have been to several CASE skid steer prototype demo sessions since 03'. Part of the evaluation process is to complete a series of excercises at full throttle and rate performance and go back and set the throttle at half speed and complete the same excercises. These are grading and digging type excercises. Not only do I think it does not hurt a machine to run a machine at less than full throttle, I think they engineer the machines to perform at the reduced RPMs. Some are better at it than others. Running a mulching head or asphalt planer at helf throttle may not be a great idea but certainly grading pallet fork work would not hurt anyones machine. I typically set the throttle at 3/4 and run like that. If I need more go I use the foot throttle for the rest.

skidsteer.ca

Occupation
Contractor
My NH ls160 manual say to use full throttle after a warm up period. And i think if you need max wheel speed or max hyd horsepower to your attachment, then this is the most productive way to run the machine. If I'm blowing snow or brush mowing I use WOT.
However there are many time when I'm not working my loaders to their full capacity and I use a throttle setting thats proportionate to the amount of work I expect to do.
I do avoid throttle settings that leave the pumps moaning and groaning. That is definitely to low. But if the machine is not complaining then I think it fast enough.
I have never seen anywhere in my 553, 753, 773 or 853 bobcat manuals where the said use WOT (wide open throttle)
Ken

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
If a machine has a throttle pedal, then surely it was designed for use when doing finesse work, like the CAT skid steer and CASE 450 and 550 dozers. The work being done will dictate the level of rpms required ( i.e. box sweeping, planing or full dozer of material ) Even the large track-hoes have a reduced throttle level built into them for doing finesse work or increased fuel economy.:bash

HeyUvaVT

When doing any grading/stripping with the RC100 (which has a SERIOUS amount of power btw) I run at 3/4 with the foot throttle....long distance transports across sites I run wide open...when running the cutter head I run 100% and im shoving the throttle through the floor looking for more because of the amount of power the cutter sucks up through the hydraulics...I have a friend that operates not OWNS mind you..another RC100 and he has it jam slam wide open from unloading to loading back on the trailer just food for thought...:thumbsup

imfixinmopars

i have a friend that is a maintenance super at a large 24/7-365 production facility,and bobcat/cat both told them to run the skids at full throttle all the time. the fac. thought of putting throttle stops to save fuel/wear,but the said no,its harder on the unit.all they do is move aluminum shavings.but as a mech,i feel like the rest,it seems uneasy to run a engine wfo all the time for a use that dictates 2/3,3/4 amount.

dieselsndirt

on any skid loader that I have ran with a foot pedal i will use the foot pedal running around swapping attachments or loading and unloading. the way I see it is if you are working run the lever up to wide open. if you are moving around the shop or something that is where the foot pedal is handy. I am glad that my 90XT has a foot pedal. I use it all the time.
Bryan

jejennings

There are a couple of guys on the job who say that you should run a skid steer with the engine wide open--that to do otherwise is bad for the machine. One mentioned that is was supposedly hard on the hydraulic pumps to be run at less than full throttle. I can't see that being true.

My guess is that the idea of running a skid loader wide open originated with the early models such as the Bobcats with 26 and 30 HP Wisconsin engines. I've got one of these and your really need to run it at full power when pushing its limits, such as digging topsoil. I place little credence in the need to run it full out all the time. When doing light work, such as cleaning stables, partial throttle is just fine.

Another possible reason for this advice, again stemming from the early models is that engines like the Wisconsin, were designed to be run at a constant speed and this is where the air cooling worked best.

pc40chas

throttle

the way i was always taught, was excavater and skid steer run at full throttle and back end of a backhoe run at about 2000rpm[a little before the yellow line] never be afraid!

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Having read this thread from front to rear again, it is interesting. I run a Cat (with foot throttle) and set the hand midway, and foot it for any more. But when I am trying to reach a pre determined throttle point (as in teaching a new operator), I really miss a tach. Can someone please tell me why we don't see tachs on our skids? (and yes, my D4G doesn't have one either, but this isn't the thread for that). It sure would be nice to see exactly where the engine is. I've heard a lot of references to 70%, 75%, etc. but without a tach, its only an educated guess.

skidsteer.ca

Occupation
Contractor
New Holland has a tach standard equipment,and Bobcat has one in they're high end guage package, not sure on the others.
You can pretty well tell by sound, but if you really want a tach there ae aftermarket ones.
Ken

smokey1

Occupation
Builder/Owner
My new Racoon has a foot pedal. I didn't like it at first, but have found it saves fuel, and i will have to say in the long run it might spare the machine a bit. I like to run skids steers about 80% RPM. My opinion ,If you are doing heavy work with your unit you can put undue stress on the drive motor or loader hydraulic pump if you run at very low RPM.
this is also the 1st skid I have owned without a Tach. I don't like that and will persue getting one. It should be easy because it's a Perkins 804-C33