• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Proper use of skidsteer throttle?

Jeff D.

Ok, thanks guys!!:thumbsup

I've only worked on older equipment(as you knew:wink2 ) and I can understand the workings involved there pretty well, but the modern stuff.......well.

I'm use to the hydrostatic drive pump being a seperate unit, and the hydraulic pump being of the fixed variety(like mine) but possibly feeding the hydrostat unit, with two drive motors, and every control being manuel. Like this: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showpost.php?p=14693&postcount=3

But it gets pretty complicated on the new stuff doesn't it?!

Having seperate load controls on both the engine and pumps can lead too almost infinate variations.

It is interesting though.:yup

Last edited:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
You are right Jeff...we have only scratched the surface...His Diggerness screwed it up by putting the word "Proper" in the title....I can't answer to "Proper" but can repeat what I said early to the comments made that you screw up a machine if you don't run it full throttle...what a load Bollocks!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
You are right Jeff...we have only scratched the surface...His Diggerness screwed it up by putting the word "Proper" in the title....I can't answer to "Proper" but can repeat what I said early to the comments made that you screw up a machine if you don't run it full throttle...what a load Bollocks!

The definition of "proper" is, "1. adapted or appropriate to the purpose or circumstances; fit; suitable: the proper time to plant strawberries. "

Strawberries notwithstanding, I think that defintion fits my use of the word--I mentioned several different sets of circumstances, and questioned whether operating at full throttle was appropriate for all of them. In that respect, I think you've indeed addressed the question. I'm still not sure we've nailed down the specific answer though.

So..all I'm saying is that if the manufacturer didn't fit a foot throttle and told you run the machine flat out (on the governor) thats where it would be happiest and probably provide the longest service life. If the manufacturer fitted a foot throttle and the machine has variable displacement pumps then it certainly isn't going to harm it to run the machine at various different speeds.

Perhaps the question was insufficiently precise to begin with. Obviously, the later models, with variable displacement pumps are a somewhat different animal than the older models with constant displacement pumps. I think we've established beyond question that on the newer models, with foot throttles and variable displacement pumps, it's not really an issue.

Now on the older models, are we assuming that the condition you describe as "happiest and probably provide(ing) the longest service life", is the benchmark? If so, then does running at lower throttle settings result in not reaching that benchmark? Does that in itself constitute an operating method that's "hurting the machine"? Or, is the difference too insignificant to worry about?

As Will mentioned above, the operator in question was told by a person from the dealer not to run at less than full throttle. Nobody has replied here yet in support of that notion, or given any reasons that it might be true, or even reasons that it might be thought true--misinformation often has some basis in reality. (Except for Jeff's mention of the possible connection to temperatures and flow through the cooler of course, which hasn't been verified either.)

Tigerotor77W, you disappointed me! I did expect that you'd have been exposed to some of this somewhere along the way. We will expect a full report once you do get to the subject. :wink2 I'd hoped one of the CAT fellows might voice an opinion too.

And once we get this all sorted out, we can discuss the reaming Will Gurtner took from his boss for running the CAT 257B too hard; specifically, digging hard dirt and using all the throttle available. (I think the quote was something like. "I don't care how much work you get done with it! I want the machine to last for a while.")

jmac

If and when you do get a answer to this question does it prove true for other machines besides skid steer. I have ben told that my Deere 450H dozer should be ran at full throttle or you could damage the machine.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
If and when you do get a answer to this question does it prove true for other machines besides skid steer. I have ben told that my Deere 450H dozer should be ran at full throttle or you could damage the machine.

Who told you (meaning, was it an authoritative source?), and did they give a reason? Again, I'm not sure whether to believe that or not.

jmac

A guy that owns a very large company, has his own full time shop with two machanics, 6 dump trucks, around 30 employees, 30 machines.
I listen to him. :notworthy If I remember rite I think it has to do with cooling. I run my skid at full to 3/4, I don't burn that much more fuel and find it is just easier that way, same with excavator, my Case BD690 rollers manual says to run at full if operating any virbration system.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
A guy that owns a very large company, has his own full time shop with two machanics, 6 dump trucks, around 30 employees, 30 machines.

Well, then he probably knows more than I do. :)

my Case BD690 rollers manual says to run at full if operating any virbration system.

Now, that I wouldn't question. Since RPMs affect the speed in vibratory system...

Jeff D.

Digger, I found this in a John Deere skid steer operators manuel. It say before even releasing the parking brake that you push the throttle wide open.

1. Before driving machine, lower the boom. If the boom is locked in the raised position, disengage the boom locks and lower the boom.

KV15233

2. Push throttle lever (A) all the way forward to the full throttle position.

3. Disengage the park brake switch.

NOTE: The right steering lever (B) controls right drive wheels, and the left steering lever (C) controls left drive wheels:

KV15231

4. Activate the steering control levers:

· Push both levers forward at the same time to go forward.

· Pull both levers back at the same time to go backward.

· Push one lever forward and pull the other lever backward at the same time to make a short turn.

· Slowly return levers to the middle (neutral) position to stop.

It goes on to explain the use of all controls but I didn't see anywhere where they mentioned throttling back, except when shutting it down. This machine didn't have a foot throttle.

Jeff D.

No comments on that Digger?

This is the feeling I got from reading that operators manuel. Although it didn't answer the question of "will running less than full throttle damage the skid steer", it gives me the sense that on atleast the JD 260 & 270 that they have the idea that the machine will be run at full throttle while being used. Even the spot where they say "before shutting down pull the throttle back to 1/2 throttle" gives that indication to me.

So, although that fly's in the face of what my original thoughts on the subject were, and unless we get something that contradicts it, I'm now going to consider running my Bobcat atleast near full throttle unless I'm stopped or doing work that needs very slow, careful movement or I need to hear someones instructions better.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Jeff Ultimatley you wont hurt the hydraulics...it all depends on what the engine is set up to do. If it was a constant speed engine and setup to run on the governor with no foot throttle..open her up and let her go.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Yeah, what Squizzy said. :yup

Thanks, Jeff, for citing something from an owner's manual. That makes it a little more definite, but at the same time, it gives no recommendation not to run at less than full throttle. Owner's manuals are full of "Don't" warnings--the fact that there isn't any such warning about throttle setting still leaves it a little ambiguous, at least to my way of thinking.

I'm still waiting to hear from someone who can, with authority, cite a good reason to avoid lower throttle settings.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
And once we get this all sorted out, we can discuss the reaming Will Gurtner took from his boss for running the CAT 257B too hard; specifically, digging hard dirt and using all the throttle available. (I think the quote was something like. "I don't care how much work you get done with it! I want the machine to last for a while.")

Why wait? My boss did yell at me quite loudly about running the skid at full throttle and trying loading at full throttle. When the Cat tech came out to fix a leaky "O" ring, I point blank asked him if running it this way would hurt a brand new machine. He basically said that it wasn't hurting anything running the machine like I was.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hey! We've got enough trouble already; we don't need to add a war with Australia...

If you didn't already know we are already at war...with the US FDA...for banning Vegemite:mad: Thats serious stuff.

I haven't listened to Beccy Cole much....but Casey Chambers appears in the playlist occaisionally. I listen to that vid later.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
If you didn't already know we are already at war...with the US FDA...for banning Vegemite

Please, Squizzy, don't take the Vegemite thing personally. I'm sure it simply has to do with the fact that both jars that were sold here in the states last year were several years past their expiration date... :wink2

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Now wait a second. I was reading about proper throttle use but then I get to something about Vegemite. I know about the throttle but what is vegemite?:beatsme All this aside, I feel to be a victim of a drive-by hi-jacking.:guns Digger, as Super Mod I would expect better patroling of your threads to keep this from happening.:mad:

Good job Dayexco. Digger never saw it coming.:bouncegri :thumbsup