• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Production Estimate for Multi processor/ Pulveriser

Redlogger

Hello,

This is my first post, and what a great site.

So here is the stuation, we've got an interesting job coming up. The site has approximatly 25,000 cu.yds. of concrete demolition rubble sitting on it,this stuff is piled up about 10' high and covers acres. mostly slab and beams. The idea is to go though this pile with a Cat pulveriser mounted on a Cat 330 and break it down to 1' minus and remove the rebar. Most of the material will be used on site for a pad, some may go through a crusher and processed into class II. We will have a 20 ton excavator working with the 330
to take the pile apart and remove rebar etc. etc. So the question is how long will it take? Yards per hour, day. any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
first thats what you can see. there is so many variables experience of operator, condition of attachment and machine (hydraulics,teeth wear,speed). Age and PSI of concrete,condition, type and size of rebar. sizes ,shapes and thickness of concrete.

Tractorguy

By pulverizer I'm assuming hammer...we have some road crews around here re-doing highways and they just have a hammer to bust it up but an excavator with an oversized hydraulic clam on it, cylinder on both sides of the stick for more pressure and it works much better for "rebar removal" you can handle everything better than just pushing and rolling with a hammer too.

Redlogger

Thanks for replying clintm and tractorguy,
Yeah I know there are a ton of variables in this, just trying to get a general idea, time guesstimate from any body that has worked with one of these attachments.
This is not a Bid job but need to put together a budget.
Tractor guy, These attachments go by seem to go by alot of different names depending on location. Cat calls it a Multi-processor, NPK calls it a concrete crusher.Ive seen them called Pulverizers on this site. Munchers,
nibblers. They all are oppossing Jaws that crush the concrete like a giant Pak-Man critter.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Look at a drop hammer. Faster and cheaper to run. You will need a second machine to layout and clean up.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Assuming the beams are small enough that they can be handled by a pulverizer there's nothing faster than doing it with the pulverizer. Its not going to crush it that small though -9" is more reasonable. I agree your not going to want to do this with just this machine they can crunch up concrete really fast, but they don't move it worth a damn. So you're going to want some kind of loader for excavator to handle the material afterwards and some groundmen picking out the rest of the rebar.

Just a wild guess but 3 weeks if you just blow and go. To really clean things up or if you don't have hands that know what they're doing 5 weeks.

Pflum

We have an MP30 on a 330. We demo'd a sewer plant last year with it, and the original specs called for removal of all rebar and leave no concrete larger than 12". The cruncher does a pretty good job of busting the concrete off the rebar, and most of the pieces are pretty small. You can definitely get it all under 12", but its a little tedious. The problem is picking out the rebar. The rate you can get the metal out largely depends on manpower. We only had 2 people on the job; the best way we came up with was crunch a large amount, then take another hoe with thumb, scoop up a small amount, swing around to groundman. Groundman picks out rebar and throws in pile. Remaining clean concrete gets thrown in another pile. This is not a speedy process, especially with the volume you have. Luckily the higher powers changed the specs allowing smaller pieces of rebar to be buried, so we weren't stuck doing the whole job tha way.
So basically the crunching is the fast/easy part, hopefully you have a lot of hands for the sorting.
Do you already have the pulverizer? If so, what size and what kind of jaws do you have?

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Beams are easy the bar will stay together as you munch it so you can just toss it in a pile with the muncher. The slabs will be more labor intensive.

Redlogger

Thanks for the info guys,

We will be renting the pulverizer and excavator to run it. We are looking at Cat M324 or NPK U31.
Does the Pulverizer seem to break the rebar into smaller pieces than the legnth/width of the concrete piece you are crushing? As is it breaking the rebar every time you take a bite?
Again thanks for the good info.

Pflum

The jaws we use on the mp30 have teeth for concrete on the ends, and in the throat there is a cutter that will cut any rebar clean. So on a beam you would first crunch it with the teeth, then push it into the throat to cut the steel. They do make different jaws.

Landclearer

We did a big demo job a few years back and used our Cat multi processor. Long rebar stays long unless you cut it. I would recommend renting an excavator with a magnet. We got a 160 size machine from company wrench and it saved so much labor and time. If we do another similar job we were under do it again.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Ya I've never seen a muncher that would cut rebar. Ones that do wouldn't do it for long since the concrete would dull it out. Then you run the risk of binding up the rebar in the dull jaws, and thats no fun at all. Besides long rebar is very easy to pick out with the muncher the short bar is a PITA.

Magnets do save a bit of manpower. We would use them to replace 2 groundmen picking bar and it alot safer then guys crawling all over the rubble picking rebar. That would be 3 pieces of equipment minimum on site though and still need at least one hand to cut any bar off that didn't get broke out of the concrete.

Last edited:

Turbo21835

Ive been on a cat 330c with a Labounty universal processor for the last week. My production has been slow, but that 330 happens to have 72ft of boom, so its not like you are hogging through a pile either. Our material varies between bridge beams, bridge deck, and footings. The footings are hard to work. The deck is full of bar, two layers of bar on a 12in x 12in grid. The beams are a pain because they are post tensioned. So those are full of bar and cable. We have prepped about 500 yards of concrete this week, not full time processing, shipped out 2 40ft high side dump trailers full of bar.

I would say your production if you are really spending a full day at processing should be about 600 yards of concrete depending on size and amount of bar, and how much you are working it to make the material There are a few techniques you can use to make sure you are getting the most out of it. When you get a slab vertical, you munch like a typewriter. You start at one end munch, most 3/4s of the width of the processor, munch and so on. At the end of that run, you just go straight down, and go back the opposite way. This pushes the horizontal bar down keeping it away from your hoses, or aux lines, it twins the vertical bar with the rest. When you are through that piece of concrete, you have all your bar lined up, and you can grab a lot of it in one munch so to speak. I would also say since you are planning on having another machine on site, I would go with a muncher instead of a processor. It is simpler, plus its cycle time will be way faster. You will sacrifice rotation for production http://www.stanleyhydraulics.com/products/concrete-pulverizers

As far as my equipment, since you are renting, I would look for a two machine package. One will have your muncher/processor. The other I want equipped with a thumb, and a generator/magnet. Im also going to have a laborer on site, with a torch kit, and a skid steer with demolition bucket, and forks. He's my get out of jail free card for misc work. As the day starts, the hoe with thumb is running out ahead of other machine. Pre sort the big stuff out, lay out beams, move around slab, and in general make my munching machines day robotic. The muncher is going through everything he can reach and get through. As he goes through, he's getting all the bar he can, As he gathers that he's making "cigars" or "logs", that is for the operation I'm used to, as we would be shearing that right behind. If just loading the bar out and sending to a scrap yard, I'm not going to be super picky, they won't be tight, and the ends tucked in, it will just be a log to make loading in a truck quicker and easier. As you go, You are going to figure out your production, and you will know when you have enough laid out for the muncher to keep him going.

Now I drop back and do a quick sort of the pile that is munched. Im using the bucket and thumb to pick any long/easy to get bar that is left behind. As I'm doing that, Im stretching out the pile of processed concrete so its thin. Now I'm grabbing the magnet. Its probably just going to be hung off the bucket. The leads will be a quick connect to to speak. Im running the mag across the stuff I just stretched out, and anything I see sticking out of the unprocessed pile. Once the mag is across everything, Im dropping it, and taking that processed material and throwing it up in a pile, preferably a windrow. Im tossing everything up as high as I can get it, so its rolling down a hill so to speak. This is sorting my material again. Any bar left is going to be relatively small, and its going to float/roll to the outside and bottom of the pile. Grab the magnet again and do one last quick pick of that material, then its back to laying out for the munching machine.

Turbo21835

Also of note, If you end up with a universal processor, Make sure you are getting it equipped with processor jaws, not cracker jaws. The processor jaws will do what you want. The cracker jaws are primarily for demolition. They will break/cut concrete and bar. They will not process though a pile and provide a finished product efficiently

JDOFMEMI

I bet you will average 50 to 75 yards per hour once you get through the learning curve.
Try to get the piles to no more than 4 or 5 foot thick, so you can rake them with the processor. If the piles are too tall, you will have a hard time getting to the bottom.

Redlogger

Turbo, thanks for the in depth information. that helps alot. JDOFMEMI your quantity estimate agrees with my guesstimate of around 500 yards a day once we get through the learning curve.
Dozerboy thanks for the warning on the rebar cutter on the processor. I can understand how that could go bad in a hurry.