• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

problems with glow plugs breaking

wlf89

i have been having trouble with glow plugs for a while now,they are blowing the centers stems out. i was using some i got of ebay and they wasnt lasting as long as i thought they should have. so i tried a different brand from offroad equipment when i made my last order and put the first one in it yesterday and it lasted about 20mins, so i put another in it and ran it about 1.5-2hrs and it has blowed again same hole. before it was just random which one would blow out,is there anything that could be making them have to much pressure on them or something and making them blow out or is it just crappy plugs? im leaning toward the crappy plugs.

lantraxco

I would lean that way as well unless they're the wrong length or the piston is coming up to far?

wlf89

its a cat 941 with 330c engine, they inside a combustion chamber so pistons not hitting them, my amp gauge goes back to zero when i let off the switch so i wouldnt think the power is staying on them. im sure its just the cheap crappy plugs, but i think cat dealer told me something like $45 each vs these $3 glow plugs

wlf89

Are you getting 24V plugs, not 12V?

Not overtightening?

Correct length?

yes x3
ive been told that it could be from improper injector timing, what do yall think? it does have a good bit of black smoke always has since i have had it even after being rebuilt.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can only burst fail if not for the correct voltage or are intermittent design(pulse) rather than full on as many in the automotive sector are. Cheap is the key here, either continue buying $3 glowplugs and wasting change out time or buy the correct units and fix the problem.

6/1 half dozen/ other.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
How are you finding they are failing?

A D330C, I'm assuming that is what you have and it is a pre-chamber engine. Good glow plugs should last years not hours.

Right off it sounds like the old story of "You get what you pay for!"

What does a failed one look like? Is the heating tip broken or split? Or do they just fail to work? I'm guessing you are in Tenn, from your location "tn", so in this weather you should only need them for a few seconds, half a minute at the worst, in the morning unless this is a real sick worn-out engine.

wlf89

they are just blowing the center stems out, i am finding that out when i hear a loud hissing sound coming from engine. i have been told by a couple that is caused from the injector being out of time so i have the plate coming to time it up and hope it solves the problem

lantraxco

Did the originals fail in the same manner? If not then the timing should not be an issue, right? And if so, how did the timing slip?

Delmer

The timing has to be advanced to cause an issue, right? late timing would make it run with less power and noise. At least that's what a direct injected diesel would do. I don't know how indirect injection would act.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The timing has to be advanced to cause an issue, right? late timing would make it run with less power and noise. At least that's what a direct injected diesel would do. I don't know how indirect injection would act.

Not sure how timing will effect the running but if this Cat has glow plugs then it is a Pre-Chamber engine. I do know that the timing on one of those can be 180º out and they will still run, NOT good but they will run. I'll take the 5th on how I know! Could blame it on Norm, but really don't remember who installed the pump drive on that 3306!