• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pricing used tools

Yepblaze

Right now I am shopping for a shop and a field set of tools.

I'm looking for a big roll around a good top box and most of what I'll need for an equipment mechanic position.

I already own a half dozen Craftsman, Proto, Kenedy light duty type top boxes on roll around boxes stuffed with all sorts of tools. I could cobble together a couple sets for the new job but I'd still be shy of some of the good basics.

I can afford tools, appreciate having what I need at hand and understand that presentation matters.

I've placed an ad for retired mechanic sets and gotten a number of replies. Some good and some a joke. It seems everyone thinks they have $30k or more in tools, but so far I see with the exception of the snap on rollaway I already have most of that.

I know tools cost too much. They become part of you. And we value them dearly.

What I need to know is what value should be placed on used.

They cost less back when they were purchased.
They are now used.
They do wear.

Lifetime warranty, yea, but you need the guy in the truck that wants to sell stuff rather that replace scratched and marginally worn to some guy he don't know from Joe.

Do they depreciate?
Do they appreciate?

I still have a couple decent sounding guys working up some pics and lists for me. They ALL say they will make a deal.

If I wanted to buy new I'd call the truck. Even the dealers I've met will discount at some level for paid in full cash sales.

How much of current retail should be an acceptable amount for good condition used SnapOn or Mac tools, and boxes or chests.

So far this has been a real experience between the cobbled together stacks of scrap and the suspected druggies shady offerings.

I think I've found one or two actual legitimate offerings but don't want to offend, or be taken.

Last edited:

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I'm not sure how old you are in life but tools don't make the man ..

Not to sound like some oldtimer but I still want ...never content ...I need a Dyno ..Pump bench with all the bells and ringers [cant spell whistles] ..The want is what makes a good mechanic and the want to know..

Tools are important take care of them they'll take care of you.. If your gonna use them everyday buy the best..

norite

I have always been a tool nut.

However over the years, I've gone from dreaming about buying everything in the snap-on catalog to now I buy, modify or make the tool according to what I need to do the job. I think most guys end up this way. I just could not afford to buy everything off the truck that I need and the money can be well spent elsewhere. I do buy the top end stuff occasionally when I absolutely need it but if the cheaper brands will do the job so be it.

I've got almost every tool brand in my box, I try to buy used if I can find them in good condition, they all end up scuffed up over time no matter what the brand. I upgrade and expand my tool inventory as I find used bargains or purchase new if the need is immediate. Generally I try to buy used tools at 50% of new price or less with larger discounts on the high priced stuff. (price dependent upon their condition of course)

Years ago I had most of my mechanics tools stolen in a break and enter with no insurance. I found out it would cost at least 5 times what I thought I had invested to replace the tools due to price increases over the years and the need to replace everything all at one time, rather than buy as sales and bargains present themselves. It was a real eye opener.

If you buy dead man's tools give the widow a fair price, she may not know the value of the tools and shouldn't be taken advantage of.

Good luck

FSERVICE

i am going to let you in on something a older very good mechanic told me when I first started in the field 20 or so years ago "the tool box does not make you a mechanic" there is alot of truth to this statement I buy used tools when I come across them i also have several boxes of off brand wrenches for the needs this bend or twist in it no need to use a name brand for that use

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I am assuming you are asking how to figure out how you would figure dealing a fair price for used mechanics tools.

To price used tools, you need to start with the price of new and work accordingly. Domestic branded sockets sets that carry a warranty are not going to depreciate much depending on condition. Basically you can turn them in for new in Mac, Snapon, Craftsman and others. Import sets you usually find in pawn shops for next to nothing. Impact socket sets are going to be wallowed out some on the square drive and corners so you again have a condition factor to negotiate. Things like hammers and chisels don't cost much to start with so you should not have to pay much for used. Screw drivers and such are cheap and can be bought in sets cheaper than buying anything used. Wrenches over 1 1/8 inch generally don't get used a lot but are very expensive to purchase. Generally I figured those kinds of things based on scrap metal prices so I work out a price per pound and use that to begin negotiating there.

Impact wrenches wear out over time and newer models hit harder for longer. I haven't seen any in pawn shops priced over half of new price. Tech tools like scanners go out of spec in a hurry so you might find a PDA or something with the older software for troubleshooting truck engines kind of cheap if you know what you are talking about when negotiating price. Torque wrenches can be found in places but will have to be calibrated and certified before doing anything real serious. Units up to 250 foot pounds are not real expensive for new to start with. Big wrenches to 600 foot pounds are not easy to find and are definitely worth the cost of calibration.

Heavy tools like jacks and porta-power sets usually keep their value depending on condition.

As you can see here you basically have to do some homework and then hone your negotiating skills to get what you want. Talk to the tool salesmen and get catalogs and price sheets if they will give them.

Good Luck!

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
Who has only $30k in tools? :)

The way I see it is that if it's got a lifetime warranty it depreciates very little over time. Almost none. If you break it, it gets replaced.

I would steer clear of used air tools. Unless you know how it's been cared for, your probably better off buying a lower priced new unit.

The tools don't make the make is definately true. The other saying that comes to mind is that there is a right tool for every job. I started out with what i could afford. I still have and use some of my original "cheapo" tools. I would replace the cheap ones with something more expensive when i found a reason too. That's why i will use some of my old stuff. The expensive stuff does not offer any advantages for my application.

When it comes to large stuff like tool boxes, my advice would be to spend your money wisely. Got out and buy yourself a decent (not the cheapest, and not the most expensive) quality Sears or equivient box. Use it for a few years till you can't fit another tool into it. By this point you will know if your going to stay in the trade or not. Then buy a good quality box. Brand is not important but build quality is. I've seen many young guys spend a fortune on a smaller snap on or mac box only to leave the trade a year later because they lost interest. I have also seen lots of seasoned guys fighting with crappy drawers on cheapo boxes because they spend all their money on what's in the drawers. Only after owning a cheap one can you appreciate a good one

When it comes to value, i have accepted the fact that i will never get what i want for my tools. I knew that when i bought them. I don't look at them as a financial investment. I will never sell my tools for that reason. I have told my wife that when i go, make sure they dig the hole big enough to put the tool box in with me. I paid for 'em, and i'm going to keep 'em.