• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Please help Losing water freightliner with cat 3306 fld 112

Truck Shop

I'd guess we've blown it now, we'll never know the end of the story.

I don't think anything is wrong with the posting here. He was helped by everyone and some people just have thin skin no matter what is said. Hopefully he replies.

Truck Shop

morcam

Occupation
truck driver
I've been up in the mountains for over a week with family up state new York .truck is at home waiting on compressor . At the end have one reserved to get used from the Miami area as soon as I get back it's a hard compressor to find Napa doesn't have it and a lot of other folks don't have it on line . It's a 1091318 or 109287x. Comp.. thanks and yes I will write till the end of the pressure leak issue thanks for your help.

morcam

Occupation
truck driver
Screenshot_20171226-234446.png IMG_20171222_145557850.jpgI understand all those. Numbers are active but most of all the 109287x is the most current . Waiting to call bepco but I think is more of a tractor parts store . I'll try anyway . Thanks

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If I'm reading that Cat No. correctly it looks to be a 109 1318. That changes to a 110 5766 and then to a 164 7562. And finally a reman number of OR3405.

Cat really likes that last number a lot as the price I see for it is $774.10 with a $1,437.00 core charge! I can't say if your core would be accepted or not.

morcam

Occupation
truck driver
got the compressor yesterday doing the install tomorrow will write back to let you know what has happened .

morcam

Occupation
truck driver
ok compressor on bought a reman compressor and it sounds great but there is an internal engine leak can be a cracked head or gasket or something else it is at the shop they are going to disassemble the engine on Monday , I'll write back and let you all know what had happened . thanks

morcam

Occupation
truck driver
1/27 /2018 Well truck still at the shop its going to be an inframe repair , head was not cracked , it was good news to hear .the reason for the water leak was the ( head gasket ) gave way , but mechanic feels its time to rebuilt , engine was not in a top condition it was weak and liners needed to be changed anyways so he is at it , got parts waiting for head to come back from shop and expected to be back in business next week . thank you all for your time and sharing your experience with us all , its a tremendous amount of collected knowledge with you all sharing your thoughts , don't know the cost at this time will post when finished to give others an idea of what it took to fix an 3306 cat mechanical , if one thing is to be learned from my experience is that it's well worth the money to pay a certify mechanic for an inspection of the truck no matter who you buy it from . Morcam.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Just a thought and not a criticism. Head gaskets blow out for a reason. You might ask that the repair shop tap out the head bolt holes all the way to the bottom and use new head bolts. Also make sure they check the flatness on the block with a machined straight edge.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just a thought and not a criticism. Head gaskets blow out for a reason. You might ask that the repair shop tap out the head bolt holes all the way to the bottom and use new head bolts. Also make sure they check the flatness on the block with a machined straight edge.
And don't forget to double check liner protrusion as well as condition of counter bore if it is that type of block if a spacer plate engine the deck surface and spacer plate condition.

Like John said "Head Gaskets fail for a reason!" If you don't determine what the reason was you are going to have a repeat failure soon.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

morcam

Occupation
truck driver
ok understood I will take that up with the mechanic tomorrow , he has also stated that he is going to have a tech come out to the shop to resurface the block not sure completely how that procedure works , but it's done with the engine in truck , also mentioned as I understood he had to take a measurement to have shims ordered to have a perfect seal again not sure I think sense he is changing the liners something has to be shimmed ? I'll talk to him about new set of bolts not sure if that is included in the inframe kit , I don't think they change the crankshaft they just put new bearings . thanks

morcam

Occupation
truck driver
2/12 18 got my truck back last Thursday it all came out great , full inframe repair, engine is running very smooth ran it most of Thursday and Friday aprox 500 miles with no problems mechanic asked me to bring it back on Saturday and readjust all valves is all good . repair cost me $ 6300.00 including the fan clutch full rebuilt that was expensive ,repair kit alone was 500 for the fan clutch , so after all set and done bill was $6300.00 , looking back and learning from the experience I honestly think I should have stopped the truck and have the mechanic take a look and diagnose the problem , ran it loosing water for too long I could have messed the engine up really bad , true I had compressor issues that was adding uncertainty to the event but still an unnecessary risk , we are adding next week some special gages that will sound an alarm and stop the truck if temp or oil pressure issues are detected . again thanks for all your time and devotion .