• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pettibone Super 6 Torque Converter question

Nato123678

Occupation
Petroleum Geologist transitioning to farmer
My 1969 Pettibone Super 6 is running great with fully functioning brakes (yay!) - but, I have a question about the torque converter in the Funkomatic transmission. No matter how gently I feather the pedal to move it, it always seems like the torque converter is slamming into full engagement, such that it causes it to lurch every time I move it, which is not real good for precision forklift work and even worse when using a man-basket (scary!). Any ideas on what may be going wrong? Is it a bad torque converter? Is there an issue with the fluid (I replaced the fluid and the filter with the correct type modern equivalent)? Is there an adjustment I'm missing? I did have to really lube up the forward and reverse linkage to get it loose (it is now) and I'm in low range, but no matter what I do it wants to lurch forward and backward every time it moves.PXL_20231216_210333263.jpg

Nato123678

Occupation
Ah, I bet that's it. It seems to be stuck on high idle until just after the pedal is engaged, so either something is sticking in the linkage or out of adjustment.

Nato123678

Occupation
It is, mostly. SN#711. Parts manual wasn't available so the dealer substituted a slightly higher number with the Super 8 axles (that mine has). Sold in 1969 from a dealer in Knoxville TN - I bought it last year from northwestern Minnesota and my brother delivered it down to east Texas last spring. I did a complete brake system rebuild (took a lot of tries to get all the right components and was able to get the brake booster rebuilt).