• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Particles in steel transmission suction filter, How bad is it?

born2ride

Occupation
Automotive Tech
I took off the main filter looked pretty clean , disassembled the horizontal steel mesh filter element and found junk!
Also realized the trans filter bybass valve is missing, :( that thing is $$$$$$

Looks like some rust, brass and fibers!!

Attachments

• IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    898.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    582.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    522.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    541.3 KB · Views: 57

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
It all depends on how long it has been since the last time it was cleaned. If that's 10 years of accumulation, it's not too bad - but if that's a years worth, well....
Those bigger bronze pieces are definitely clutch/friction plate material. :rolleyes:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I apologize if I missed it but what machine is this strainer off?

I know one of the last machines I worked on before retiring in 2015 was a D6C Dozer and the suction strainer I pulled out of that one look about the same as yours. I too could not find any reliable information on when or if the strainer or oil had ever been changed. That one did have a problem of transmission oil getting into the engine that last I knew was suspected to be due to a bad rear seal on the engine. Operationally speaking it was still working just fine, till the engine would start puking oil out the breather!

I would say clean everything good, fix/replace the by-pass valve and run for a time and pull strainer again in a couple hundred hours.

born2ride

Occupation
Automotive Tech
I forgot to mention it was a case 450. LOL i was having a moment due to all the debris .