• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pacific trucks in the logging industy

HDX

That would be interesting to slither under the rear apron to set up the brakes on the back axle of the truck Ian. Still trying to figure out about the front part of the reach. Also Ian Would you think that is an air operated deck dog up on top of the deckboards above the cab?

Last edited:

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
This is a good picture of how un-driver friendly the cab step's and running board on driver's side was. Would have been an easy fix to extend the running board out a foot, put proper step's and add a catwalk around the cab/water tank area. Too many place's to slip and fall. Look's really good there but add mud and snow, as well as fuel and oil spill all over the surface's and it would get interesting. Of all the P16's I had anything to do with, The last series they built were without a doubt THE second BEST TRUCK's I ever had the pleasure of driving. Extremely well built and very well laid out from a drivers perspective.

HDX, pretty serious praise coming from you about the last series of Pacifics built.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
If this is the picture I am thinking it is not the same truck.file135.jpg
img004-jpg.174272

Hank R

Occupation
When I did my Pacific story I talked with Bob and he gave me pictures and permission to use. I do not know if this picture helps???file151.jpg

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
When I did my Pacific story I talked with Bob and he gave me pictures and permission to use. I do not know if this picture helps???View attachment 174287
Post 1644 solves part of the puzzle Hank. Good post. So the reach comes apart. Sure would like to know what this was designed for. Waiting for diamondtguy to come on board. As for post 1643,you are correct Hank. Totally different truck. Trailer loading setup is what I am familiar with on our newer P-16s. Similar to the HDX style

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Also I do see a small cylinder on rear apron HDX. If we could see rear picture of the truck,we may be able to put a bit more lite on the puzzle

HDX

hd54, First off, Welcome to the site. Love your handle. Do you have one? A 1954 I mean. That 3/4 turn table is a puzzle alright. Like Blkprince pointed out, The side rams are not visable. The access oblong hole on the backside of the front bunk is also a puzzle. Only thing it would be for is to get at the King Pin. The long "Rat Tail's" for the stake straps would be a problem also.

HDX

Blkprince Yes that ram on the back of the truck had my attention also, We however must continue our "Autopsy". I wonder if in fact it was there to position the reach when hooking up or disconnecting from the trailer body. Might have been hand controlled so the driver could raise or lower the assy to get the pin out. and to be able to put the stabilizer leg in the right position. Just a shot. Sorry to all you guy's that don't have a clue what Blkprince and I are talking about. After we get his sorted out we will fill you in with understandable terminology.

Hank R

Occupation
Cory we need your CSI skills.... Post 1644 looks like the dry sort above Peachland to me but I am not sure. I remember it but not to be 100% sure.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Looking at the different style of preload trailer is interesting . My thoughts are , it was built to haul long perhaps full length logs , is there a compensator built into the reach to allow the truck to handle tight corners is the reach able to telescope to a longer distance between bunks ? The turn table attached to the trailer with a prop under the hitch allows the trailer to be stood up when the trailer is stood up on ground to be loaded while the truck is away dumping another loaded trailer . A second look at 1st picture , there is no King Pin 5th Wheel as is common on preload trailers as we are use to the bunk turns on the turn table there is a Ram under turn table to put preload legs down . Not quite sure how trailer is pulled up on truck off the ground .

Last edited:

hd54

thanks hdx wish had 73 at one time. seen truck a few time once was sitting in town across from bud depot bobtail to vancouver biil had a good friend in town and may time hook to hydros lowbed was sitting behind hydro s shop in vernon there is one more picture of the front preload section trying to fine let hank post hank that is the peachland yard was thinking this setup would work like the rest of the selfloadeds around there

Hank R

Occupation
They were hauling tree length I remember some of the tops looked like they went into a pencil sharpner after 10 miles or more of road rash

hd54

yes hank tree length on one of my may trips across the off highway road dam nere run up the tops of the off highway in front of me camp tramp if you look can see big rams there in front of preload setup not like the preloader on the island

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Sorry guys..I don't know a bloody thing about that pre loader.It is certainly interesting.I don't like the lack of cat walks and don't like the fuel tank location or hanging in the breeze to fill it..

I read HDX's comment about the last generation of P-16's with a smile..
Pacific gave us a specific area to build P-16's and P-12's around 1978/79.These were still crazy years.Lots of work and lots of employee turnovers.The crew was very small and hand picked.I was one of them..Then came the recession ..When it ended it was a different time.Pacific fired back up again with a totally hand picked crew.Gone was all the rif raf..Small crews in every department..It stayed that way to the very end..For over a decade every P-16 and P-12 was assembled by the same few guys.I missed the last 2 or 3 P-16's but my DNA was on over 50 P-16's.
Pretty much the same for the on road trucks..Same few guys for years.I got bored and quit after 10 years..I was at the very bottom of the seniority list when I left.Obviously a very dedicated and experienced bunch of guys.

Hank R

Occupation
file151-jpg.174287

I just got off the phone with Bob Lind and he was Bill Schneiders best friend. This pictures is above Peachland and it is the P16 truck in background. He seems to think it was only used for 1 season and then truck was leased out to BC Hydro fro Transformer moves. Also Bill only had 1 P10 the red one and 5 or 6 P-9 trucks, not sure on the P-9 count. working on getting a few more pictures from the family.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Looking at the different style of preload trailer is interesting . My thoughts are , it was built to haul long perhaps full length logs , is there a compensator built into the reach to allow the truck to handle tight corners is the reach able to telescope to a longer distance between bunks ? The turn table attached to the trailer with a prop under the hitch allows the trailer to be stood up when the trailer is stood up on ground to be loaded while the truck is away dumping another loaded trailer . A second look at 1st picture , there is no King Pin 5th Wheel as is common on preload trailers as we are use to the bunk turns on the turn table there is a Ram under turn table to put preload legs down . Not quite sure how trailer is pulled up on truck off the ground .
There seems to be a ram just behind the step to get up on truck . Looks like it is only on drivers side nothing on pass side . Zoomed up to 300% to get good look