• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pacific trucks in the logging industy

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Hanks friend Rick is over on the Island hauling logs with his Freightliner at Beaver Cove.He took these pictures of some P-16's...Those look like some pretty big bunks on those trucks..The middle P-16 looks like it has a intercooler on the front and I notice the newer square headlights on a small window truck.
Where is Beaver Cove ???View attachment 170183 View attachment 170184
Diamondtguy,Beaver Cove is on northern end of the island. About 30 minutes south of Port MacNeil. If he is hauling for WFP then there is a large dry land sort there. Sort handles highway,off highway and rail cars. All coming in with loads. Those trucks may all belong to Lemare Logging. As you can tell. Some ex M&B units as well

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Thanks..They looked like ex M&B trucks but I only have the front shot..I believe he said they were dumping at Louise Point (?????)
Nice to see them working..

HDX

All 4 of these Pacifics were from Sproat Lake Division. The big dump trailer behind the T346 was bought to haul Debris from Sarita Dry Land Sort to China Creek DLS. Was around 150 yard box. When it went to Lamar it was hooked to H318, HDX PreLoad. Last time I saw 318 was in their bone yard. Bunks are all 15 foot wide, Pacific PreLoad 60 ton Trailers. Interesting to see the legs have been removed from these trailers

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Diamondtguy,Beaver Cove is on northern end of the island. About 30 minutes south of Port MacNeil. If he is hauling for WFP then there is a large dry land sort there. Sort handles highway,off highway and rail cars. All coming in with loads. Those trucks may all belong to Lemare Logging. As you can tell. Some ex M&B units as well

Looks like the Timberwest Kokish sort just around the corner from WFP's Beaver Cove operation.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Will see if Rick will get some more pictures for us. He said Lemare is in the middle of a rebuild on a P16 with a new DD16 in it.

HDX

Cory I think that it was because of damage to the bunks when loads are being pushed off. What will happen is when the load is being pushed off the truck /trailer sometimes a log or two will actually drop down and land on the leg . When this happens the log, crashing down on top of leg will bend it down under the weight. Then when it is bent down it will split the back side of the bunk open because that is where it is attached The stake hinge pin will tear the nut off the back side and then it is a big job to fix. You have to remove the stake, Heat up the bunk up and lift the leg back up with a loader or something to get the bunk to bend back into position. If I go back down to Sarita this week with the lowbed to haul the last yarder to the barge ramp I will take some pictures to show you what I mean. A couple pictures will explain what I am talking about. We ended up bone yarding trailers because the bunks were ripped open too badly and rather that fix them ,it was easier to scrap them. Back in the old days of M&B we had all the equipment and the welders had made up "Jigs" to fix this when it happened. When the new breed came into the picture they threw all that stuff into the scrap bin

diamondtguy

Occupation
Thanks for the explanation.Doesnt that just create another problem tho.How to get the trailer off the 5th wheel and what to do with it once its off...
I hope they at least save the legs..
New breed thinking runs rampant in our shop too.Tons of jigs,fixtures and tooling all scrapped.Surface grinder and broaching machine scrapped.Wonderfull stand up 600amp Miller tig welder scrapped cause the new guys didn't like it...I used it for years.It goes on.....Its all very sad..

HDX

YUP, I hear you Cory. As for the trailer thingie without the legs, Well what I do is get the log loader in the sort to hold up the reach after they unload me, I get him to lift the front of the reach up a little and then trip the 5th wheel. By doing this I can still smear grease all over the 5th wheel, Then we hook up the trailer again and off I go. If it is one thing you have to do it is to keep that 5th wheel greased. If there is a trailer reload around I will use it instead of the log loader to lift up the front of the trailer. Whatever works easiest.

Blk prince

Occupation
Looks like the Timberwest Kokish sort just around the corner from WFP's Beaver Cove operation.
Good to know. Did not know they had a sort going. Also,I was wondering if TW wood is hauled from Kyuquot to Kokish. That was a plan when South Island crews left and returned to Nanaimo Lakes. ThanksDBDLS

BTC

Kokish wood is the only wood sorted and scaled at the beaver cove TW sort Ian.

That would be a pretty tough haul. Kyuquot to Kokish was it ever attempted? Be like going from the back of the Walbran to China creek.

Blk prince

Occupation
Kokish wood is the only wood sorted and scaled at the beaver cove TW sort Ian.

That would be a pretty tough haul. Kyuquot to Kokish was it ever attempted? Be like going from the back of the Walbran to China creek.
BTC,the haul was not started when our crew headed out. Just about that time was the start of the tri-drives. So I was wondering if the haul started up. I think the old Canfor roads were going to be opened and cross the south end of Bonanza Lake. Does this seem possible?

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Mike Cross , These pictures may have been taken by Bob Hoar . Ex BCFP #6-261 , Timberwest #40-131 Pacific P 16 repainted and numbered H-8 by W H Moore Log , Ex BCFP #6-262 , Timberwest #40-132 Pacific P 16 repainted and renumbered H-7 by W H Moore logscan318-.jpg scan319-.jpg scan320-.jpg scan321-.jpg .

diamondtguy

Occupation
Looks like H-7 has a 3408 in it..
Are all the truck numbers registered in some central location or do you guys just try and keep track of this on your own.
Or....If you buy a truck and change the unit number on it do you register it.. ???
Interesting color....

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
These two trucks were new at BCFP Caycuse Div. as they were in the Cowichan area where I worked off & on from 1966 to 2008 for BCFP and the companies that succeeded them , I know these trucks and know where some of them went when they left the area . Each Company has its own system of numbers . With Fletcher Challenge a number starting with #40- was an Off Highway Logging Truck , #41- was a Highway Logging Truck , #50- was a Steel Tower Yarder , #52- was a Grapple Yarder , #54- Was a a Line Log Loader . #56- was a hydraulic Log Loader . Yes H-7 has a Cat 3408 in it since it was new .

diamondtguy

Occupation
OK..thanks..
The 3408 gives me a time frame on the build date of that truck..I would have been one of the guys who put it together when she was new..
Pretty sure the era of factory installs of the 3408 wasn't that big..