• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Over weight fees

Natman

After I put the 1400 lb. counterweight on the National, my first trip through the local Port of Entry on I-15 went smoothly. No red light, no dreaded message on the digital board they have "park, bring papers inside." So I of course figured I was good to go. Then on about the 12 th. time through, maybe 4 months later, I get the "c'mon in" sign. Turns out my rear axle is over, just enough......so now they have me paying 16 cents a mile plus $256.00 annually.

My question is, what about all the driving I do on city streets? Shouldn't that be exempt? I am about to make my first quarterly payment, and went back through my invoices to figure up my highway miles, state and federal highway miles that is, or would it be just state? This is the state of Idaho I'm dealing with, apparently they have authority of the interstate, but city streets? That .16 per mile adds up. I guess I'm not sure what differentiates between them, paying ALL my mileage would be easiest of course, at about $800.00 a year PLUS the annual $256.00 charge.

I am going over the scales tomorrow......and this time I will be reading the numbers closely, the other times I wasn't paying attention and/or there were semis in front blocking my view of the display. This time, since I have quit carrying a 350 lb spreader bar I rarely used, (it was fixed, I use my 8' to 14' telescoper mostly) and I plan to, once I get it out of my 40' long garage, run the boom out as far as I can reasonably get away with without looking too goofy, (probably about 4' or 5', normally it's sucked in tight and still barely fits in my garage) in the hope it will take enough weight off that rear axle to keep me legal. No different then the truckers I see with the cheater axles they raise up once past the port.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
As far as your over axle permit goes any miles in Idaho would apply. As far as your IFTA it's all by state like usual, I'm assuming you pay that. I wouldn't think city street miles add up to much. It's just a revenue producer for them. Problem is if you declare one mileage for fuel tax then another for your permit, they may catch a discrepancy and come visit you or send a hateful letter lol. Any permit I ever bought that was ton mile I was charged every mile in that state regardless of what kind of highway, road or street is was.

Junkyard

hvy 1ton

If i remember right, Idaho has higher axle weights on state highways than the interstate. Then again, that might just be for the hay haulers.

td25c

hvy 1ton

There is a back road around the Idaho Falls Port. You don't want to take it, unless they are gonna put you in jail for crossing the scales.

td25c

Funny story about crossing the scales .:D

We were moving from Indiana to Nebraska back in 1972 .

Old man was driving a two ton U-Haul truck with all the furniture & ruck . Mom & I was following in a car .

Well guess what ? We got pulled over at a scale house in Missouri .:)

Cop comes out and questions the old Man where we are going & why ?

Then they proceeded to question the old Mans license if he was qualified to drive the U - Haul truck .

The old Man commended there security measures & mentioned they sure could have used your help as I just got back from a tour in Viet Nam .

What a bunch of lame asses ! We went on to Nebraska :D

Natman

My reasoning for trying to weasel out of the overweight charge is because I am just barely overweight.... I was well under before, then adding 1400 lbs to the rear of the turret (National factory certified counterweight, not home made or anything) pretty much right over the rear axle. In a couple hours I'll see in exact numbers (never paid much attention before) what running the boom out accomplishes. If that gets me REAL close to being legal, my next move would be to remove the 2 part jib. I only use it a handful of times a year, ( I have 110' of main boom) and already have an idea and the material to make a gantry crane in my yard just for easily re mounting the jib when needed. I'd rather spend $500.00 on that, one time, then $1200.00 or more, every year, to the state.

I know all the ways to sneak around all the ports in my area, including Idaho Falls. They are a pain and not a viablelong term solution. If it all becomes too big a hassle, I'll just suck it up and get used to paying the fee, but I like the idea of legally outsmarting them if at all possible!

Last edited:

crane operator

If you've got a conex in your yard, I've seen guys swing the jib out on the boom and set it on brackets/ wood blocks on the top of the conex, you sometimes have to use the outrigger jacks and boom and telescope to mount and unmount it, but it might be easier/safer than a gantry.

I occasionally unmount my rt jib for inside building work, or close quarters work, I usually use the forklifts or one of the other cranes, but I've usually got help around. I've done it by myself, but its a lot less in and out of the cab if you have help.

td25c

Some of the older Groves had a removable counterweight arrangement where it stowed behind the truck cab to take weight off the rears when on the road .
The one I'm thinking of had rollers on the bottom of the counterweight so it would roll on top of the chassis .

Might be more hassle than it's worth on the National ?

IMG_20170403_093632697[1].jpg

jprefect

Occupation
mainline hoe operator
Here in Michigan they can get as much as $2.00 a lb. I've heard. I feel your pain. But the fact is you where still over. I would barrow a set of scales and figure out exactly where to put it every time

td25c

Some of the older Groves had a removable counterweight arrangement where it stowed behind the truck cab to take weight off the rears when on the road .
The one I'm thinking of had rollers on the bottom of the counterweight so it would roll on top of the chassis .

002.jpg

Natman

I could see that working real well, if I was building a rig up from scratch. Swing around 180 degrees and drop and secure it about 8' forward of where it would be with the boom in the transport mode, tricky!

I unexpectedly had to leave the Nat at my last Saturday job site (safe rural area, right next to the customers home, saves him travel time) as the carpenter crew were not able to think ahead and when they framed and sheeted the two end walls (14' high), they couldn't figure out a way to also frame and sheet the 2 remaining walls. So, instead of standing all 4 walls and getting right on setting the trusses, I just stood the two walls and got a ride home,14 miles away. This is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy as a recovering carpenter. To make it worse, the two walls are the gable ends of the building, so they are unsupported by each other, IF I had been just setting two walls, I would have set the two that would make a corner, lots more secure, and guess what, it's windy today. Oh well, their poor planning will mean more money for me, but it still bugs me to see such stupidity .

I got my running through the scales thing with various boom configurations interrupted, but it's looking good with the numbers I'm seeing so far. I was under the impression it was a 20K limit on the rear axle, not exactly, it's 34K on the tandems, they consider the tandems as a unit. I didn't know that, didn't find that out until just now. As I left my print out of my run through the scales in the Nat, I can't quote the exact numbers, but as I recall the tandems were 34K and some change. Possibly just emptying out my rear dunnage rack, putting all my pads in the bed as far front as possible, would do it. Maybe that AND taking the jib off. Just yesterday the extra fee cost me $7.50, and as I am a penny saved is a penny earned kind of guy, I will go to some lengths to legally get out of paying it! More to follow when I go through a second time in a day or so.

Knepptune

If all our customers had their ducks in a row we'd never make a living. Or the cost of the crane would be higher per hr.

On the jib removal how hard would it be to hang two chain fall hoists from the trusses in your shop. I'd think if your trusses are 4' on center and you hung the chain fall from a 6x6 that rested on two trusses on each end. The weight one the jib would be on 4 trusses and I'd think they would hold that. Then it would just hang up on the ceiling till you were ready. If you wanted to get fancy you could buy two electric winches.

m16ty

Yes, most states are 34k for a tandem.

In TN, they will let you tag cranes as "fixed load", where they allow you some extra axle weights, as apposed to a standard truck.

Natman

I have blown in insulation in the ceiling, help up by a special netting the insulation guys use, then a white vinyl covering over that to keep the airflow in. It is nice and bright, and as long as you don't mess with works great. Plus it was about the same cost for them to do it all, labor and material, as just the OSB would have been, not to mention the glass batts plus my labor. So hanging a chain fall trolley up there ain't gonna happen, those in my home shop I do have such a setup and it works great.

Good tip on the "fixed load" thing, they are treating me like an over the road trucker, I'll look into that.

Still waiting on those carpenters! It's odd, I am actually looking forward to going through the Port, I'm pretty sure moving the rear outrigger pads up as far as possible may do it. No matter what scenario of mechanical aid, fork lift or over head chain fall trolley, taking the jib off and on all the time would require help and still be a pain. If I had a wireless remote like my old Terex 17 ton had, it'd be a piece of cake. I already have a jib stand in the yard, but it takes me in the cab and a helper on the ground, and a some yelling back and forth etc. The only time I don't like having a sit down cab, and no full time employee! If I just blew off the work that needs my jib, it wouldn't break me, be just a minor blip, about what they want in annual charges for the over weight based on past years. Doesn't get me further, just higher.

Natman

I got my print sheet from the last time I went through the Port (you have to ask to get one, after first going through, so you go over the scales twice, next time I'll call them in advance. With all my usual crap on board, BUT with the boom run out to 40.0' instead of the usual 32.2', my rear tandems came in at, believe it or not, at 34,100 lbs! This amount of boom run is about the max that'd I'd want to consider, it doesn't look outrageous, not enough sticking out to gather any unwanted attention I'm pretty sure, pictured.

I could just put my 2 rear aluminum pads on the floor of the Mack cab and get below 34,000 lbs! If I throw all my rear rack dunnage, probably at least 200 lbs. per side, up on the bed towards the front as much as possible, I could probably suck the boom in to 38' or so, maybe less. The jib is staying, I can squeak by with in on board. My next trip over the scales will be just as mentioned, should be tomorrow. I want about a 100 lb. cushion less then 34,000. Once I establish the sweet spot, I'll get on the horn to Boise and see what it's going to take to get rid of that overweight charge, that should be interesting. I will stress that I am not an interstate hauler, rather, a boom truck (I'll gladly be described as that for once) that recently permanently changed my weight distribution by shifting on board gear.True enough, I'll have print outs signed and dated by the Port cops to back it up.

Last edited:

Natman

Pictures: throwing that rear blocking up towards the front when going over the scales will be a pain, but will be well worth it in money saved. Again, just today I will pay out 8 bucks I'd rather buy lunch with.

Attachments

• IMG_20170429_115523479_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20170429_115523479_HDR~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20170429_094629009~2.jpg
    IMG_20170429_094629009~2.jpg
    859.4 KB · Views: 44

crane operator

Bad news- legal front overhang is 4'

http://semasan.com/semaga/Idaho.pdf

Good news- buy a annual: I didn't read the whole manual- it shows restrictions for route maps. I'd do some more reading.

"Yellow Routes -- The yellow overweight level is based on a single axle loading of twenty-two thousand five hundred (22,500) pounds, a tandem axle loading of thirty-eight thousand (38,000) pounds, and a tridem axle loading of forty-eight thousand (48,000) pounds or the equivalent loading as determined by spacings and number of axles and computed by applying the formula W = 560 ((LN/N-1) + 12N + 36).

"Overweight/Oversize (non-reducible) annual permit fee for twelve (12) consecutive months, one hundred twenty-eight dollars ($128)."

http://itd.idaho.gov/dmv/poe/documents/permits.pdf

Be thankful you can get a annual: Missouri is a one way, one trip permit only. Drive the same route the next day- buy another permit. One permit to drive to the job, another permit to drive home. (only for my larger cranes, overweight for length)

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
How difficult is it to remove the counterweight? I mean, if you've got a way to lift it, is it a lot of bolts and a pain to get to, or is it a couple bolts?