• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ouch

nowing75

IMG_0230.JPG IMG_0241.JPG customer called said pin come out of the haul truck we're it pivots and oil is everywhere. Has anybody had this problem ,not sure what happened first I'm thinking when that fell in misaligned the driveshaft and that broke the dropbox

Cmark

The early 740s had problems with the A frame pin coming loose but I thought they had it fixed with the B series. Has the A frame been removed for repair recently?

nowing75

Not that I know of I just talk to our local dealer and he said they've had problems with that bearing failing and causing it to do that. In the process of looking for used box price from cats $43,000

ship660

I would say you are on target with what happened. 3 bolts hold the bearing tight against the tapered pin. When the A-frame fell put driveline in massive bind and broke drop box. The bolts must have been out or broken for a long time the last bearing I did had to put about 20ton of pressure to break the taper lock loose.

DARO

Occupation
Mechanic
Iv seen them drop out.. never took out a drop box though. Front drive line and joints. A few hoses. Had one smash the sucition hose for that charge pump. Thing dont make much pressure to start with. When it was back together wuoldnt lock in the dif lock? Grrrrr.

JDOFMEMI

Ouch is right!

I too have seen it, both with Cat and Volvo trucks. Never broke a drop box though. It is a good idea to check the bearing for play now and then, and fix it before it is too late.

Good luck finding a used case.

Cmark

I've never seen a failed bearing. So far, it has always been (as it It appears to be in this case) assembly error.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I think mcmaster has jb weld in the large 10 ounce tubes! spare parts should be about, might only need a case.

nowing75

I had them send it to the local cat house because I was afraid I could not get it done in a timely manner as our company machines are priority. They said the bolts did not appear to be striped out so its like they just backed off. So far they have not found much for used box.