• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Opinions on Gehl 5635sx

Tinman204

Good looking machine! Tough as nails I tell you. Mine fired up in 1 crank in 30 degree weather today. Quietest hydros I've ever heard. Can you tell I am so glad I discovered my Gehl 6635? Or should I say, can you tell I am glad I discovered Gehls? LOL

I'm after Gehls because of people like you. It's rare that I've heard a gehl owner say anything bad about their Gehl skid loader. Especially when it's a 35 or 40 series machine.

I've never really been one to want fancy equipment. I like simple and tough as nails.

If I listened to my buddies I'd have buy a 5 year old machine or newer or I'm wasting my time it seems. They make it sound like a late 90s skid steer with 2000 hours is ready for the grave yard and is a waste of money. I'm prepared for things like hoses to fail and things like that due to age but I bet once I go through the machine it will run trouble free for a long time.

Im going to trust my gut on this one as I don't really want spend upwards or 15 to 20k on a machine I use around my yard. In this market you either look at 10k priced skids or they go up to 15k or 20k with nothing in the middle. The newer skids I can afford are lighter in construction, weight and lifting ability. Yes they move around faster and are lighter to tow but I think they would fall way short in lifting and pushing vs. a 5635.

Last edited:

Tinman204

The only reason I was thinking paint is the undercarriage is pretty rusty and being from the great white north bare metal tends to rot quick especially when used for snow clearing. It's also super humid here in the summer so once again rust tends to get out of control.

I really don't care how it looks, I like the weathered look as I'm more inclined to do work with an old machine then say my shiny new tractor.

Was just thinking of pertection but I guess a good cleaning and then rub her down with oil like and old gun would be fine to lol.

Tinman204

It looks like brand new compared to my skid steer. I think you made a good purchase.

Haven't done the deal yet but hopefully next week it will be done. The dealer is dragging their feet on giving me a trade in price for my 5 year old compact tractor. Compact tractor is Shiney and as new, makes doing wok not much fun cause I have to be so careful not to scratch it. :)

I have a feeling my trade in value is more then this skid steer and that's why they are taking their time. Oh well hopefully I'll end up with it..

MX45

G'day,

Bucket looks like it has teeth - necessary for digging effectively and hooking for loading stuff on ropes quickly, check for wear it will give you an idea of how harsh previous use was. LHS front drive wheel looks like it has oil leak - distinct from rear wheel, have them service it if any doubt. Get a warranty for a few months on whole machine if possible. Be certain it has a new motor as you are buying it with that in mind. Check the manufacturer date on motor?

If your Kioti is worth more ask for things you will need - maybe they have some second hand equipment you could use sitting around and good for them, good for you. I have Kioti three spindle mower fitted to Case CS75 tractor. Only time it stopped working was when I caught a concrete slab with the front and it bent it inside out. That is a whole other story.

All that aside the cabin looks unmarked and really straight. Who cares about the date stamp once you are working it. I have not owned Gehl but everyone here who has seems to like them. Got to be a decent bet even if it went awkward. Maybe they can throw in delivery! Maybe first annual service!

For rustproofing - I am within a few kms of coast here in Oz, best I have done is cold galvanising - let dry, mix one part epoxy paint with fish oil and apply. Takes a long time to dry but gave years of rust pro

MX45

Lost my end of message. rust proofing!

Best of Luck in negotiating, Regards, MX45.

Tinman204

Just an update,

I'm going tomorrow to demo the machine. It will be cold out which is perfect cause I'd like to see it start and run with a cold engine.

With any hope the deal should be done tomorrow.

check

I usually tell a seller I would like to start it up cold. When I get there I put my hand on the block. If it's warm I leave right then.

Tinman204

I usually tell a seller I would like to start it up cold. When I get there I put my hand on the block. If it's warm I leave right then.

I agree, and I told the salesman that I would like it outside and cold when I get there.

Now it has been -30 Celsius for the last week though so often a machine won't start under those conditions. Plugged in it should start though so its not like I'm asking for too much. :)

Tinman204

Well thanks to everyone for their help on this subject.

I just did the deal for the gehl.

It was outside in -20 Celsius weather and it fired up from stone cold without glow plugs!! It actually started nicer then my new tractor.

Dealer is great and they showed me anything that may be an issue and then offered to fix any issues if I was interested in buying it.

They even exchanged the toothed bucket for a 72" snow bucket at no charge which was exactly what I wanted.

I test drove it and the motor is super quiet like its new, no smoke and tons of power. Cab is quiet and yep those gel t bars are so easy to use. I will have to practice a bit to make it run straight as I tended to twist the bar to one side or another but like anything else practice makes perfect. Hydraulics were quiet and free of scary sounds. The dirty left front rim from the first picture is no longer on the machine, rims look almost new so I'm thinking they may have put new rims on it since the last time I looked at it. The new engine was bought in the states and installed locally. They've been pushing snow with it all winter and that's a good thing to me as that would let any gremlins show themselves. I will say that everything works right and I couldn't find anything. I ran it for about 15 mins and couldn't find anything to complain about.

Only thing I found was a bit of a hydraulic cylinder leak but he said they will sort that out. One pin at the bucket has a little bit of play but not enough to bother me. So the only thing it will need will be a set of tires in the future but that's no biggie.

Here's a few pics I shot today. It's much cleaner then the first picture i got from the dealer and the dealer even said that he will make her shine and run it through their shop again before it gets delivered as that's just how they do things.

[/URL

Oh and he through in pick up of my tractor and delivery into the deal no charge because he said it makes it easy on me. It was originally listed and shown to me as not having a door but he has a door that needs glass and once again he said they will install new glass and a new wiper blade in to door no problem and install it.

Once again thanks to all for you help. Will be getting it mid next week. Can't wait.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

You're going to have a nice machine there with what seems like a lot of hours left in it! Nice to have a dealer who goes the extra mile for you.

You might ask them to check the drive chain adjustment and adjust properly. It might be worth paying them to do it if you need to, because being a new (to you) machine ...and so cold outside, it would be peace of mind on something that might need to be done. It's something you could do down the road, but the service dept is set up to do that kind of stuff and can do it in a fraction of the time it'll take you. I'd also ask them check/change the drive motor lube ...at least make sure the level is where it should be and you can change it in the spring. You run them low on lube and that's the definition of a bad and expensive day.

If you don't have a set of forks, now that the dealer is in a good mood, consider seeing if you can get a good price on a set. If cash is getting low, at least see if you can get their 'best price' in a written quote so you can get that deal come spring or when funds allow.

Pics look good.

Last edited:

Tinman204

Hey jeepwalker.

The drive chains were just serviced along with engine and hydraulic oils.
I'm not sure how to check drive motor lube unless your talking about the hydro oil?

Once again thanks for all your help.

MX45

Congratulations - you are going to wonder how you lived without it after just a short while. It will be so versatile. OK if the snow bucket is what you wanted but I would sorely miss my bucket teeth if they were not there every time I wanted to dig!

Looks like the dealer would like to keep you as a customer and has gone the extra yard - did they do a warranty/service reward with the purchase?

I did well years ago purchasing an MX45 Grey Market Excavator in Australia. Dealer proved difficult a bit but did give good advices - got the right set of buckets and the machine was delivered as promised in deal price (400kms) and repairs done as agreed. I have been caught often enough to celebrate when something goes right even 7 years later - still enjoying it. I hope your new tool (toy) does at least equally as well.

Forks would be a big bonus - most used utility after the bucket for mine,

Best wishes, MX45

Tinman204

Congratulations - you are going to wonder how you lived without it after just a short while. It will be so versatile. OK if the snow bucket is what you wanted but I would sorely miss my bucket teeth if they were not there every time I wanted to dig!

Looks like the dealer would like to keep you as a customer and has gone the extra yard - did they do a warranty/service reward with the purchase?

I did well years ago purchasing an MX45 Grey Market Excavator in Australia. Dealer proved difficult a bit but did give good advices - got the right set of buckets and the machine was delivered as promised in deal price (400kms) and repairs done as agreed. I have been caught often enough to celebrate when something goes right even 7 years later - still enjoying it. I hope your new tool (toy) does at least equally as well.

Forks would be a big bonus - most used utility after the bucket for mine,

Best wishes, MX45

Hi,
The toothed bucket would be nice I agree BUT living in this desolate land called the Canadian prairies a snow bucket is just what the doctor ordered from november to april .We got something like 110cm of snow during a 2 week period in December which means 90% of my hours are spent on snow removal.

Nice thing is theres a rental company at the corner out here that rents toothed buckets for very cheap for a weekend so I think I'll go that route.

As for my dealer being great and taking care of me that's one thing that really sealed the deal. I had a terrible dealer with my Kioti so I've learned my lesson. My kioti has been great but the bad dealer put a bad taste in my mouth.

There is no warranty on the unit BUT I can say 100% that if there's any issues in the next while these guys stand up behind what they sell for sure. I was prepared to take the machine with the few small defects but they wouldnt have it. I guess when they take a trade in they run it through the shop and change the fluids etc. They then leave it for sale so the customers can view it how it was traded in so there's no hiding anything. If you buy the machine they then really pick it apart and tidy things up. Thsey have been using this machine to cear snow on there lot so they are very familiar with it and have done some maitenace that it needed already. Their system woks for me compared to other dealers who always say "what do you want it's an old machine!"

I got him to quote me on a set of forks but he was a bit high compared to several other quotes I've seen. That's fine cause he's serval thousands low on the skidsteer so it's all balancing itself out although I'm buying forks from a different vendor.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Get 2 buckets for it! Otherwise you have a very expensive snow plow. Snow buckets are too big and light duty for ANY type of dirt work and you can't see what you're doing. Also make sure the snow bucket has a bolt on cutting edge so it's easy to replace when it wears out. I would have tried to get the extra bucket as part of the deal. Once you have a skid steer you won't believe the things that it can do.

MX45

G'day,
It is what works for you but a general purpose bucket works for me. There have been times I would want the teeth off the bucket but not as many as when I wanted them on. Bobcat 753. Even with my feet size 10 I have difficulty in operating the pedals as they are just a bit smaller than my shoe/boot, so hand controls is the way to go. Foot controls makes for thinking time when running. Also the view from that Gehl cab looks so much superior and it is a constant pain actually seeing the front of the bucket in the Bobcat but a great machine otherwise. I have to agree with another poster that the 753 Bobcat's limits are exposed when trying to lift some things in that it bobs up and down at the rear. So going bigger is actually I think far more advantageous than looking for a few spare inches when you are in a small space occasionally. Forks differ in quality of manufacture - be sure the quality is comparable. I also buy things from different dealers but when I find a good support Hydraulics place I stay with them. As time goes by you get better advice - they try to save me money by telling me what I can do for myself but often now I just say you guys know what you are doing and will do it in no time. Happy to pay the toll. Got a water bill Christmas Eve a few years ago and was a skyrocket. Checked the meters (on acres over here) and had a leak where it was not worth digging - too many services. Had to lay in new line. Had sufficient to do that but got to the last six feet of digging the new trench and a hose burst on the excavator. Connection had been twisted at some stage and I had not noticed! So no water! Just per chance on Boxing Day I went to the local Hydraulics place. Owner was polishing up his boat. Helped me out even though his registers were closed and I had no cash on me. Took a while for me to remember that the new fitting was LH Thread. Still working and that dealer is my go to guy all the time. I don't compare notes with the other dealers near by.

Sounds like it is a fit for you and I expect your smile will be bigger than the width of that bucket once you see what it can do over a little tractor. The skid steers are just solid compared with a little 4x4 tractor and purpose built. Enjoy!

Regards, MX45.

MX45

NB A four in one bucket with a removeable edge with teeth would have done the job or an edge that bolted on over the teeth? A four in one is indispensible over here. You can grab stuff!

Jeepwalker

w/o a tooth bucket you can't do much digging in those tough prairies, unless you just had a nice rain. I vote for a bucket with BOLT-ON teeth (not a tooth bar). Problem with a tooth bar, the teeth usually hang down below the bucket edge and you can't grade very well. With a tooth bucket with weld or bolt-on teeth, the teeth are usually flush with the bottom of the bucket so you can back grade just fine. Ideally, a dedicated dirt and tooth bucket ...and a snow pusher would be good to have.

Tinman204

Well my wife and I were talking about buckets.

I think we're going to buy both. You guys are right, I need a tooth bucket.

We have 14 acres and I'm still clearing some of it so yeah I need a toothed bucket.

One question for those of you who know gehls. Is there a way to make the t bars more stiff. I found the left stick to be very touchy. Everything works and the response was fast while turning or going forwards and backwards but, I found it was so easy to accidentally initiate a turn that I was having issues going straight. It seemed to be jerky while going forward unless I really paid attention to how I was pushing the stick . Like maybe the rods that turn the unit are too tight so there's not enough play so any slight movement meant you start turning.

Maybe I just need more practice but it just seems like maybe there could be something a bit loose?

Any thoughts?

Last edited: