• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Opinions on a TD25

alskdjfhg

Right, last thing I should even remotely be considering it a project dozer.....

But an old TD25 "farm dozer" popped up, asking 5k for it. The undercarriage is supposed to be good, 75% or better. But it's apparently spun a bearing on the crank.

Honestly, as much as the new shop is going to cost, I shouldn't be buying any equipment for a good long time. But one day I will be getting a dozer about this size and it'll more than likely be an old project, so may as well start learning now.

So how bad are old internationals too work on? How much abuse can the transmissions take? Availability of seals? Undercarriage parts? and could that spun crank bearing be fix without pulling the whole engine?

Last edited:

FWD

I am not real familiar with TD25's but I do know 25C's were good in their day. They had an 817 engine which may be a little difficult to get parts for, but I'm sure parts can be found especially if you have time. I would shy away from anything older than the 25C. I believe the E series had the 817 engine and I think the G series was the first with a Cummins engine. The rest of your questions I don't know enough to say anything.
FWD

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
if you need a cat save your money and buy a Cat, a lot easier and cheaper to find parts for and you will have something of some value when you are done.

alskdjfhg

Ok bumping this up again. A certain famous heavy equipment auction company (ya'll know who I'm talking about), has a 25c coming up for sale.

From the pictures, it the undercarriage looks pretty good. And the overall machine looks pretty solid.

I'm kinda tired of paying a 1500 day rate for an excavator because my dirt guys dozer is too small. And given how little these things go for historically, I might be able to afford it.

So how would a '77 TD25C be as a farm dozer?

I know about the 817 engine being kinda rare, but looking around on line I am finding some stuff.

What about seals, final drive stuff and most importantly undercarriage stuff?

Once I do what I need arround the farm, clearing, and mabey builsing a pad for a second larger shop, I doubt it would see 500 hours a year.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Final drives will kill the machine and possibly anyone trying to work on them. Takes three men just to pull the track frame. One working a jacking bolt on the trunnion ball, one working a fifty ton porto power between the machine frame and the track frame and one working a twenty pound hammer slapping the back of the track frame to get a sixteenth inch bump. Last one I worked on took two and a half hours of hard labor just for that. Then you get to pull the sprocket. Start over again with the 100 ton press and all the rigging to set it up. Put 100 tons on the sprocket, heat the middle of the sprocket with the rose bud and then slap the sprocket to get that sixth inch again for about four inches till the sprocket finally comes loose of the splines.

They are not a machine I would recommend to anyone unless its to cut them up when they break.

FWD

I have seen them push rock and dirt and they will push. Back in the 70's the mine I worked at had 15 of them and had pretty good luck with them. When you get into the big machines, when they do break down everything is a big job and hard and heavy work no matter the brand.
FWD

td25c

Ok bumping this up again. A certain famous heavy equipment auction company (ya'll know who I'm talking about), has a 25c coming up for sale.

From the pictures, it the undercarriage looks pretty good. And the overall machine looks pretty solid.

I'm kinda tired of paying a 1500 day rate for an excavator because my dirt guys dozer is too small. And given how little these things go for historically, I might be able to afford it.

So how would a '77 TD25C be as a farm dozer?

I know about the 817 engine being kinda rare, but looking around on line I am finding some stuff.

What about seals, final drive stuff and most importantly undercarriage stuff?

Once I do what I need arround the farm, clearing, and mabey builsing a pad for a second larger shop, I doubt it would see 500 hours a year.

Is this the same machine as in post#1 with the locked engine ?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm thinking a farm dozer? do you need a big dozer? Undercarriage for this will cost 3 times what a good dozer in the D or 4 size range would cost. While they run well, there's no such thing as too big a dozer. When they need anything, cost is staggering. I knew a guy who had one. He swore by it, claimed it'd push a Cat D8 backward uphill. Moving it would never be cheap. You have to remove the blade to truck.

And I'd kill to have one!

Willie

alskdjfhg

Is this the same machine as in post#1 with the locked engine ?
No, this is another one runs and does all its stuff. That's at least what the auction house says, but I haven't seen myself.

If I get this runner, be nice if the junk one was priced right for parts.

Last edited:

alskdjfhg

I'm thinking a farm dozer? do you need a big dozer? Undercarriage for this will cost 3 times what a good dozer in the D or 4 size range would cost. While they run well, there's no such thing as too big a dozer. When they need anything, cost is staggering. I knew a guy who had one. He swore by it, claimed it'd push a Cat D8 backward uphill. Moving it would never be cheap. You have to remove the blade to truck.

And I'd kill to have one!

Willie
Yeah I know the costs are up there for big stuff. But seeing what Deere 450J does, I would definitely want something bigger.

Its not that the smaller dozer is bad, its just I don't see myself doing too much finish grading and see a use for something with more weight and HP.

So far the cheapest quote to move it 60 miles is $2500 plus tax. I'll do some more looking if I actually buy it as I think I could find a cheaper price.

Iast week I paid to have a Deere 250G moved to the farm, its about 13'8" wide or so, that's how wide this dozer is, so I'd move it with the blade.

I'm just getting tired of having to pay someone to do stuff, be at the mercy of the their schedule, work style and get bitten in the ass when they don't take advatage of good weather to get a job done and let the rain shut everything down for two weeks.

Last edited:

td25c

No, this one runs and does all its stuff. That's at least what the auction house says, but I haven't seen myself.

If I get this runner, be nice if the junk one was priced right for parts.

Ok . Yeah , if you get it bought my first advice would be to get the manuals for the machine . Dresser offered an operators , engine , and tractor manual for the 25C . We have all 3 and are very detailed & valuable on any repair on the tractor .

Internet forums are helpful but they don't come close to the details offered in the grease stained pages of the service manuals .:D

If you have a need and can afford it then go after the 25C .

You know what ya want and have allot of talent and confidence . Get off the internet & go do what needs done Bro !

That's my best advice .:)

oarwhat

alskdjfhg have you actually seen one of these in person? And sat on one? We had a TD-15B for years. I always wanted one I thought. One day I checked one out. They're huge! It was too big for 90% of my work. I never wanted one after that.

alskdjfhg

Thanks, td. Hopfeully the shop gets finished before the auction and I know how much money I got to play with.

And I havent sat in a 25c, but I have in a D8H, I liked the size.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

td25c

If you liked the D8H you will love the 25C with it's two speed steering ability . Like driving a Cadillac on tracks , very comfortable & agile for it's size . Probably be fine for work on your property where you are not having to move it often .

I did spot some service manuals at " Binder Books " . Have to scroll down about 2/3 of the page to see td25c manuals . Don't know the quality of the reprint but the price is pretty reasonable .

http://www.binderbooks.com/crawler.htm

Might still be able to get them through a Dressta dealer but imagine they would cost quite a bit more .

I noticed Dressta still makes the TD 25 . http://www.dressta.com/en_GB/machines/

alskdjfhg

Thanks for the link to the manuals td, I'm sure those would come in handy if I get the machine.

The auction is the middle of next month, if I'm in a position to be serious about it when that times comes. I'm sure I'll have to ask for some operating tips. It's laid out a little different than that 8H was.

Last edited:

td25c

Took a look at the 25C . Has the U blade up front & looks like it had a ripper mounted at one time . Missing the left & right side engine guards . Those are pretty easy to fab up & build .

From what I could see of the undercarriage I might call it 35 to 40 % . Got some wear on it but still some time left in it . Next time you go look at it check close at the track pins / bushings and see if they have been " turned " .

Just reach your hand up in the upper rail & feel if the bushing is also worn on the top side .

Will they let you fire it up & run before the sale ?

Here is a good example of what a 25c looks like in almost new condition to help compare when your looking with pictures & few videos .

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/11879045/1976-dresser-td25c

Last edited:

alskdjfhg

I'd seen that green one before, it's a beauty. I can do the feel test to an undercarriage, but estimating the wear percentage is a bit beyond me.

And I'd imagine they'd let me play with it, or at least find someone on staff to demonstrate it.

I have to keep checking myself with reality. I've been working for the dirt contractor that did my land clearing, shop pad and will be putting in my driveway and yard. He's been bidding a few jobs that have big retention ponds (2 acres for the small ones). He's been entertaining the idea of using scrapers on the bigger ponds to cut the dirt and haul to the spread site. In the back of my mind I keep thinking that this 25C would make a better pusher than his 450J.

I have to keep reminding myself of the realities and that the days that this dozer could push for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week are probably long behind it.

Last edited: