• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

online bidding

catwelder

Occupation
welder
does anyone have any experience with iron plant and bidding on any of there stuff online. I look through there site every few days and see a lot of good stuff but just wondering has anyone had any good or bad experience's with them minus the whole taking a chance on something you haven't inspected your self

Mjrdude1

Just make sure the item has the "Ironclad Guarantee" and you won't be disappointed. Our company has purchased several items and only one time was the item not as advertised, seems it received some damage after the pics were taken. It had the guarantee and we returned it and got our money back. That was several years ago, terms may have changed since then. Good luck! :)

catwelder

Occupation
welder
Just make sure the item has the "Ironclad Guarantee" and you won't be disappointed. Our company has purchased several items and only one time was the item not as advertised, seems it received some damage after the pics were taken. It had the guarantee and we returned it and got our money back. That was several years ago, terms may have changed since then. Good luck! :)
thank you that's reassuring

d9gdon

No I didn't use their financing.

Ritchie Bros. auctions has bought them out here in the last year or so. I haven't bought anything off there since.

rwoody

Occupation
Heavy Repair/Sales/Military Surplus
most of the time i can find stuff somewhere else and get a better deal for me or customer.......

been buying and selling for over 30 years.........iron Planet is a marketing genius but still same old stuff moving out the door..........

give me a email text or call if you want a old military man to try and help out

catwelder

Occupation
welder
most of the time i can find stuff somewhere else and get a better deal for me or customer.......

been buying and selling for over 30 years.........iron Planet is a marketing genius but still same old stuff moving out the door..........

alright that will work

xr4ticlone

Occupation
Trusted Adviser to the Construction World

Are you in Pleasanton TX? Or Arkansas? I'm in San Antonio...DM me.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I've bought many things on Ironplanet at a great price. Depends on what you are looking at and how the auction goes, sometimes a particular piece of equipment will be hot and drive the price up above retail and other times there is no one bidding on it and you pick it up at asking bid.

Got a Wacker trench roller for $2700 that was a mile from my house - no one else bid on it. We are still using it 2 years later.

Ditto on the Ironclad insurance, if it doesn't have it then buyer beware. On the flip side items without Ironclad usually go cheaper, roll of the dice.

I check the auction every Thursday whether I'm looking for something or not.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
I've bought many things on Ironplanet at a great price. Depends on what you are looking at and how the auction goes, sometimes a particular piece of equipment will be hot and drive the price up above retail and other times there is no one bidding on it and you pick it up at asking bid.

Got a Wacker trench roller for $2700 that was a mile from my house - no one else bid on it. We are still using it 2 years later.

Ditto on the Ironclad insurance, if it doesn't have it then buyer beware. On the flip side items without Ironclad usually go cheaper, roll of the dice.

I check the auction every Thursday whether I'm looking for something or not.
ive noticed you bought some stuff off auction was hoping you would put some of your experience in

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
I've purchased quite a few things on iron planet. Most good experience but that guarantee has loop holes and can be deceiving. Not only that they as well as Ritchie bros even before they purchased iron planet, purchase a lot of that equipment themselves direct from companies like sunbelt ring lift united rentsala etc. I'm not convinced at all that there's not inside bidding going on. I also don't trust the proxy bid. I've been high bidder on proxy bid more than once. It's just hard to believe that I had the right money on some of these things. I ain't that smart hehe. What's to stop them from bidding it up. Who would know. If it didn't sell they can simply re list. I don't know. Like I said I've bought a fair amount of equipment but anymore I don't see many good deals to be had. I still look and participate most every Wednesday and Thursday on IP but usually if I win I'm not that thrilled hehe. I've never used their financing either. Good luck

catwelder

Occupation
welder
I've purchased quite a few things on iron planet. Most good experience but that guarantee has loop holes and can be deceiving. Not only that they as well as Ritchie bros even before they purchased iron planet, purchase a lot of that equipment themselves direct from companies like sunbelt ring lift united rentsala etc. I'm not convinced at all that there's not inside bidding going on. I also don't trust the proxy bid. I've been high bidder on proxy bid more than once. It's just hard to believe that I had the right money on some of these things. I ain't that smart hehe. What's to stop them from bidding it up. Who would know. If it didn't sell they can simply re list. I don't know. Like I said I've bought a fair amount of equipment but anymore I don't see many good deals to be had. I still look and participate most every Wednesday and Thursday on IP but usually if I win I'm not that thrilled hehe. I've never used their financing either. Good luck
if i win anything ill be thrilled because I remember going to a auction is my state and was thrilled when I won a tool I dint own spent 5 dollars best 5 dollars ive spent

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
if i win anything ill be thrilled because I remember going to a auction is my state and was thrilled when I won a tool I dint own spent 5 dollars best 5 dollars ive spent

I just got to say it. Nobody "wins a bid" at an auction. It bugs me that the TV shows promote it that way. You purchased it for a higher price than anyone else in attendance was willing to pay. Sometimes it is a very good deal for you, sometimes its not. :eek::eek::eek:

I have purchased old classic equipment on auctions a few times with reasonably good luck. Always buy fairly close by and being able to truck them home myself helps a bunch. Usually don't go higher than scrap price on the oldies.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Yes your correct you won cause u were willing to pay more. If it were a sealed bid it would be different. U still paid more but u didn't know the others prices. So u won well kinda hehe

catwelder

Occupation
welder
I just got to say it. Nobody "wins a bid" at an auction. It bugs me that the TV shows promote it that way. You purchased it for a higher price than anyone else in attendance was willing to pay. Sometimes it is a very good deal for you, sometimes its not. :eek::eek::eek:

I have purchased old classic equipment on auctions a few times with reasonably good luck. Always buy fairly close by and being able to truck them home myself helps a bunch. Usually don't go higher than scrap price on the oldies.
the auction I went to was a small I think paving company cant remember to well its been a few years but they had a lot of older stuff they had a brand new f550 that I would of liked but I dint have 16k to drop

catwelder

Occupation
welder
Yes your correct you won cause u were willing to pay more. If it were a sealed bid it would be different. U still paid more but u didn't know the others prices. So u won well kinda hehe
the only reason id do a seal bid is no one else can know I have no idea what I'm looking at when I win and regret everything ;)

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator

My thoughts exactly, how can a machine sell on line then a few months later appear on the same auction site again, notice that the serial numbers are some times not listed!!!!! Notice this happening on Auction times, to me very questionable.