• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Olympic Cattle

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Was out by Lake Ozette this week came across these in a pasture along side the road. Was wondering if they raise them for meat or milk. I suppose that's how those loggers out there got so ornery and tough.

Attachments

• Elk 01.jpg
    Elk 01.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 520
  • 02 Elk.jpg
    02 Elk.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 504
  • 03 Elk.jpg
    03 Elk.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 515

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If its like the majority of the penned elk herds in the midwest the antlers will be harvested in velvet and ground into powder to be sent to China and other far east areas. They Use them for purported enhanced sexual performance. Probably the only thing we export to them. The older farm raised cows go for meat because as domesticated they can be legally be sold.

John C.

Occupation
These were in Bonny Lake.

None are farmed. They have to catch em to milk em.

Attachments

• 04 Elk.jpg
    04 Elk.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 385

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
These were in Bonny Lake.

None are farmed. They have to catch em to milk em.

After another look at the first pictures the fence is far to low to hold elk in. Here and in Wisconsin there are quite a few elk farms. Not a bad looking bull with these cows. I do love my elk hunting.

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Well I was the first hunter thru the check station at the Sunshine Resovouir in Wyoming
with an Elm......On the back of my 3/4' Chevy P/U....but i had the bed off for work and the Elk
was On The Frame!

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
1949 Stepside with the corner windows. ......head and Rack Draped Oner the licence plate!

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
After another look at the first pictures the fence is far to low to hold elk in. Here and in Wisconsin there are quite a few elk farms. Not a bad looking bull with these cows. I do love my elk hunting.

yep, and a fence like that they just blow through anyways. Usually got to spend half a day fixing fence after a herd come through the area :(

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I have seen similar wild elk herds when traveling between Raymond and Pe Ell, WA. As many as 30-35 a couple of times.

lantraxco

Dean Creek near Reedsport Oregon almost always has a herd hanging about, at times during the year you will find a large group of females laying down in one area and all the bulls mixing it up a ways away, LOL. It is a refuge and the locals let's just say are a bit protective of them while they're bringing in the tourists!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I have seen similar wild elk herds when traveling between Raymond and Pe Ell, WA. As many as 30-35 a couple of times.
Cross White Pass between Yakima and Packwood in the middle of the night at snowmelt time... I counted 48 Deer and 32 Elk one night. You drive really carefully, Of course they're standing in the road slurping up all the DOT road salt.

John C.

Occupation
It was somewhere close to where my brother lives. I thought is a cool photo with the mountain in the background.

brianbulldozer

It was somewhere close to where my brother lives. I thought is a cool photo with the mountain in the background.

Cool photo indeed. That is real close to my place. I am always amazed at how habitual elk are, you always see them in the same places around here, but never around my house in the past 20 years.

John C.

Occupation
They seem to be in the habit of disappearing during hunting season as well.