• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Rusted and Tired

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
But still used.
Been working in the company sand plant recently, finally found enough paint to ID Make of Lattice boom where thought it was a Mani. And then the Wash/separator plant is partially antique and partially recent add ons as old parts rusted away, they only use the Mani for maneuvering the sand separator pieces anymore. The tow is Miss Melba, unmoved for close to thirty years, power train from screws to engines all gone.

IMG_9195.JPG IMG_9196.JPG IMG_9198.JPGIMG_9197.JPG

Last edited:

Old Doug

I didn't sign up 8 years ago and put 'old' in front of my name, no. :D
just kidding in the late 80s i worked for a guy that had 3 HD11s. We cleared out a road that hadnt been used in years and he borrowed a grader to use on it. IT was ever bit as long as a motorgrader and i had to back it in a small driveway to turn around. The first time i got off and watched him do it then after that i learned to back it. my boss was a great guy and very good teacher i learned alot of old school stuff from him he know alot but he told me he learned from a guy that could put him to shame.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Boys at the sand plant been having some difficulties with the old dredge, would be in the river then at the bank and swarms of people all over it. Turns out they share between two site points and I suspect at either end there are those that believe they can patch it just enough to reman viable for a 'While' to ship to the other. So they have been repairing patch ups when the Jet Pump engine decided after months of injection system malfunctions to eat at least one hole. Engine is a smallish Deere industrial, appears to be a Bored block not sleeved, replacement is a small Cummins around 80 hp BIGGER, should be a treat to see what the fabricobbling ends up delivering next week when back to anchor sucking sand.

Old photo of the dredge as it passed the power station intake many MANY moons ago.

IMG_1295.JPG IMG_1297.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Still amazing the amount of tonnage removed from the river and ALWAYS more sand to suck up. And BTW, the smaller push tow is the Miss Melba I showed on the bank at the sand plant, been awhile since this photo taken.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Ah ha ,the 112, same engine as the D2, rope start pony motor, good gadgets in their day.

skyking1

Ah ha ,the 112, same engine as the D2, rope start pony motor, good gadgets in their day.
The one at the school had been converted to electric start, and probably a good idea with students. Noobs can muck up anything and a pony is not tolerant of that.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
The one at the school had been converted to electric start, and probably a good idea with students. Noobs can muck up anything and a pony is not tolerant of that.
They used to tolerate the Noobs they had back in the day. But they were educated not indoctrinated.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ran the article on the sister companies Tow being lost to fire, owner is currently in Nawleans and plans to go to the sales yards off the Ohio after the first stop to see if can achieve a replacement. The Mary Lynn is a total loss.

Issue is a MO river vessel can only have maximum 10' of draft, MS River and IIRC Illinois and Ohio rivers can support 12-15' draft. Best at 8 feet.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Correct me if I am wrong, A 112 grader has either a D315,D4400 (d4) engine. A 212 grader has either a D311, D3400 (D2) engines.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well the Sand Plant owner came back without a new towboat, they are renting whatever is available until the Mary Lynn is rebuilt. She will receive replacement engines, generators, updated cooling/heating system and electrical for the entire boat. Will be drydocked in STL the hull inspected and any thin sheeting replaced. Just are next to none qualified vessels with a less than 8 foot draft, those that do exist are in need of similar updates and repairs.

Oh and found the source of the fire, a Glass Vial type lube oil filtration indicator parted and sprayed the port engine down with lube oil while running. Onboard Fire Protection was overwhelmed.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
just kidding in the late 80s i worked for a guy that had 3 HD11s. We cleared out a road that hadnt been used in years and he borrowed a grader to use on it. IT was ever bit as long as a motorgrader and i had to back it in a small driveway to turn around. The first time i got off and watched him do it then after that i learned to back it. my boss was a great guy and very good teacher i learned alot of old school stuff from him he know alot but he told me he learned from a guy that could put him to shame.
I'll offer Kenny. 57 years ago when he was born his grader was old. Little is hydraulic on it. there are dozens of gearboxes controlled by handwheels. If a better operator of an antique grader lives today, I'll be surprised.