• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Now I know why front wheels tilt, what about this?

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
That old Austin shines like new. Id be scared to get it dirty.

I have seen an old austin like that, but it didnt have the walking beams in the back end, just a single axle. the wheels turned as well. In the cab, there was only a 'T" handel for steering, no wheel. It sat abandonded along the highway a few miles from my farm back home for almost 20 years, and then all of a sudden it was gone. Still, would loved to have tried it.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Here is a slaes flyer clear back in 1938 showing the rear wheel steering.

Attachments

• AW-flyer-1938-web.jpg
    AW-flyer-1938-web.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:

Grader4me

Betcha the operator has a good white knuckled grip on the steering wheel:D Back then that grader would probably have the same impact as the Cat M series or Volvo would have today.

Deas Plant

Coming along nicely, Dwan.

Hi, Dwan.
Your old girl appears to be coming along nicely. Ye Gods, it's a long time since I had wunna those under my butt. I ran an Aveling Austin 6x6x6 with a 90 hp Leyland donk (English version of the Austin-Western) in 1973, a 20-ton Austin-Western 6x6x6 with a 250 hp V6-71 'Jimmy' in 1983 (including the day that Australia 2 won the Americas cup) and a Clark 6x6x6 with a 4-71 'Jimmy' in early 1997. Haven't even seen one since that Clark.

Thanks for the photos.

telescooper

I know that it is alittle late but our Vovlo has a back up alarm in the front of the cab as well. :usa

telescooper

I don't why, but there is one up front at the cab. we probally stuck one on because the safety committe thought that it was a good idea.

gravelgrinder

For light work. If you run your machine on about 1/3 articulation with the toe of the mouldboard inside the line of drive tyres you can run one set of drive wheels on finished surface. This means the toe of the mouldboard is less affected by machine movement. Not for every situation.

cat 385

Betcha the operator has a good white knuckled grip on the steering wheel:D Back then that grader would probably have the same impact as the Cat M series or Volvo would have today.

i'll bet he does'nt you remember how the worm gear levers and the steering will worked--ouch!

Deas Plant

White-knuckled grip???????????????????

Hi, Grader4me.
I don't know about that particular model as, believe it or not, it was a bit before my time but all the later A-W 99H's that I saw didn't HAVE a steering wheel to get 'white-knuckled grip' on. They had a crossbar steering control in place of the steering wheel that worked the front steering and a lever in place of the Cat lean wheel lever for the rear steering.

Edumackayshun time????????????????????????

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Hi, Grader4me.
Yer welkum, M8.

BTW, congrats on your reaching 1,000 posts.

Ahha, I took a while... never could figure that M8 thing after... Yer welkum,.

M8= Mate... right??? Better be right or... :eek:

OCR....:)

Deas Plant

Free HEF............................

Hi, Grader4me.
Nope. Musta bin a stuff-up in the U.S. mail system - couldn'ta bin here - we don't have a 'system' to stuff up. All mail that arrives here does so by accident. LOL.

On getting this far without being banned - seems to be a bit of that going around lately, even to [-Agent] being banned TWICE in one thread. The boy wuz quick - so wuz ther mods.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
I guess I'll admit my slowness on the "M8" deal as well...I thought it was some newer model dozer that I didn't read up on yet.(Like a D-8:beatsme) :drinkup

Grader4me

Morning Lowboy, I actually caught on to that one right away. Strange for me ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deas Plant
On getting this far without being banned -

Mr. Squizzy's response: 'Yet!

I'll try to do better...promise..:pointhead:beatsme:p