• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Nordberg 5 1/2 foot short head crusher question

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
By any chance is there someone here who is familiar with these crushers? Specifically the hydraulic control cabinet that works the clamping cylinders and adjusting ram? Inside this cabinet there is a small hydraulic accumulator. I'm trying to find out what the pre-charge pressure should be on this accumulator. Can not in over a week of trying to get so much as a confirmation from Metso that I have contacted them and twice contacted the company that is said to be the dealer for them in this area. No one has said they were looking into it or asked me for additional information.

This crusher I believe is a late 1960's vintage if that says any thing. I also think the max oil pressure is set at 2,500 psi so if I had to guess I would think somewhere in the 1,000 to 1,500 psi range but sure would be nice to know before I cause an operating problem.

Thanks for any replys.

kshansen

Occupation
grandpa, Well before I was going to call your guy boss got a call from a guy he knew that used to work for Metso. Came up with a spec. of 1,000 psi +/- 50. So that's what we set it for and after cycling the pressure on and off a few times things clicked into action and it made up to the 2,500 psi cut off. Just in a nick of time as I was one hour from quitting time on my last day as a working man in this quarry. Just a few weeks short of 45 years.

Thanks for your offer of help,

Ken

grandpa

Well Ken I must say hats off to your for working right up to the last hour!!! 45 years is quite an achievement. I have a couple years on you and if I may ask, don't you think your going to miss it? I have contemplated retirement myself, but don't think I could. I've worked my whole life building my business,, and now in the process of slowly turning it over to my two boys. In the paperwork with the boys I keep the stipulation as long as I still own one share, I have the final say on major management decisions. My way of holding on I guess.
Always glad to help Ken and If you figure out that retirement thingy, let me know how to do it, lol. Good luck with whatever the future holds for you..... Grandpa.

kshansen

Occupation
Well grandpa, I think it is very different when working in a business that you built by your own efforts. And if this company I retired from was the same one in terms of management people above the local plant supervisor I would most likely have very different feelings about jumping ship. Just 15 years ago if head man in management for the state walked in the shop while you were working on an engine he'd come over and asked "What's that one out of Ken?" "What happened to it?" or some such thing. Same thing if the president of our division who was in charge of quarries all over the north east US. In over 10 years I have only seen the guy in charge of our part of the country once and he only said "Hi, I'm ________." Didn't seem to want to know who I was or what I did. Then at a meeting last fall the guy in charge of the whole state, who we might see once a year, was asking about the new hot water heater that was to be installed in the shop said, "So Norm how's that new hot water in the shop?" Note my name is KEN!, Norm is the mechanic at the quarry where this guys office is located and Norm has not worked at our plant in around 10 years. So out of consideration for this guy's position in the company I kept eating my lunch and then walk out the door. To say this guy is an arrogant SOB would be an insult to arrogant SOB's. My supervisor and everyone else who was there said they liked how I handled the situation. I do get called Norm once in a while, which after having worked with Norm for maybe 20 years before he transferred to the other plant I would take as a complement!

Went back to the shop this morning and loaded up my tools and now need to figure out what to do with all them! Think it's too soon to give them to the grandson? He turned 1 the end of January? Every 2 year old needs a 36 inch long 3/4" Snap-On ratchet right? Just think of all help he could be for mom!