• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Noisy 1845 skid loader

happygolucky

I really like the 1845 case skid loader but it seem as those its pretty noisy under load. is there something you can put on it to qiuiet it down. I do keep it reved up and that does seem to help some. just asking. thanks norm

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Any hints at the kind of "noise" you are talking about? Is it noise in the hydraulics, engine exhaust noise, or noise from fan? Also what version of the 1845 is it and what motor does it have to get a better idea of what might be a solution?

Is this something new in the noise department or has it always been this way?

If it is not a mechanical problem causing the noise how about something like:
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/hearing-protection/hp29/

happygolucky

Any hints at the kind of "noise" you are talking about? Is it noise in the hydraulics, engine exhaust noise, or noise from fan? Also what version of the 1845 is it and what motor does it have to get a better idea of what might be a solution?

Is this something new in the noise department or has it always been this way?

If it is not a mechanical problem causing the noise how about something like:
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/hearing-protection/hp29/

happygolucky

it has the 188 diesel. its the early 1845. circa 1970s. its always been noisey when you put under a load. if your transporting on level ground its quiet. I have put 50 hours on it . mostly in the last month digging dirt and moving it. seems to have plenty of power as it will keep spinning the wheels. hydraulics all woks fine. just seems there is a lot of chattering in the relief valves and I didn't know if case had made something to quiet it or I just have to live with it. I have two people on here that has this model and they both said theres was noisey also, I'm guessing its just the nature of this thing. thanks norm

Jeepwalker

When I got my skid loader there were a few side panels that were vibrating all over the place. Nothing mechanical, but just a lot of vibrations. I straightened out metal tabs and added rubber cushion to certain areas which stopped the noise and made a huge improvement. Case sure could have invested just a little more in any number of off-the-shelf motor mounts with 'real' cushion which would have made these machines a lot more pleasurable to use. I think just about all skid loaders have a certain amount of hydraulic 'whine' from the pump and valves.

I wonder if your machine is supposed to use HTO additive and if it's possible the previous owner didn't use it (due to the cost or just wasn't aware of it) and that might be possibly contributing to the noise?? You might poke your head into the service bay of your local Case dealer and ask one of the better mechanics if NOT using HTO additive to the hydraulic fluid (which is an anti-foaming agent and might contain other agents) could be contributing to the excessive hydraulic noise. Or if there is a specific fluid type it should use. Or, if the noise could be pointing to any type of wear or be a precursor to a larger (and more expensive) coming problem? You probably should know about it sooner than later so if that were the case, it may be an inexpensive adjustment, seal or part to deal with now vs a more expensive repair after something goes 'boing'!!.

If there were something simple contributing to a hydraulic motor wear issue and you didn't deal with it, fixing those can be extremely expensive -- like $2000+ ea! You might want to run it past the mechanic just to see. Maybe record the noise with your phone and see if he can detect something from that. Have you checked the fluid levels of the hydraulic motors (I lot of guys don't know they're supposed to check/change the fluid)? How about the hydraulic fluid ...have you changed it, and is the level good? Chain case fluid?? Adjustments at the wheels? Lube each wheel bearing (but don't pump the seal out!)?? Just throwing some things out there. Good luck!!

Last edited:

seville009

I also find spraying Wd-40 on spring latches and just about anything else gets rid of alot of annoying noises (for awhile, at least)