• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NH LS 150 Skid Steer Cab Tilting Without The Jack

ccrider966

Has anybody tilted the cab on a NH LS 150 Skid Steer without using the special jack they recommend? It looks like it could be done if I could figure out how to lift the cab and tilt it using a hoist of some sort. You need to tilt the cab forward in order to get to the engine to do anything it seems.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
Had to pull pumps on an LS180 recently. Raised rear of cab with prybars and wedges until I could get a bottle jack under it. Had a big chain hoist from the front tie down bar between the wheels up to the raised and locked boom for added safety in case something slipped.

ccrider966

Thanks, where did you employ the prybar and wedges? How far up did you raise the cab to get to the pumps? I was hoping someone knew a way to tilt the cab over completely using another unit with a front loader or some sort of boom and a chain hoist or something!

AlloaExcavating

Spend the 800 , and be done with it. I thought about trying another way on my machines , but risking mine or my employees safety isn't worth it.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I shoulda taken pictures …….. I used my 312 Excavator to flip the cab on the hybrid JD/NH 8875 I was too glad to get rid of !!

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
For those of us who don't have the extra cash laying around for a job which I probably won't do again in my personal repair shop, the LS 180 cab bolts down at the back and I raised it bit by bit with the wood wedges, blocks, and a 5 foot prybar until I could get a 5 ton bottle jack under the bolt plate, then raised it enough to get a small port a power jack under it. I raised the back end of the cab probably 15 to 20 inches; enough to get at the pumps. The 2 ton chain ratchet was used as an extra measure of safety.

Cobra-R

Has anybody tilted the cab on a NH LS 150 Skid Steer without using the special jack they recommend? It looks like it could be done if I could figure out how to lift the cab and tilt it using a hoist of some sort. You need to tilt the cab forward in order to get to the engine to do anything it seems.

What do you have to do to the engine? I own two New Holland dealerships and we very seldom tilt cabs, maybe once every couple years. (and we sell alot of skid loaders) You probly can work around it.

Brian

ccrider966

I have a very slight leak from a water sensor located on the left side of the engine and cannot get to it easily. It is not serious enough for me to tilt the cab now but I am concerned about having to do it some day and do not have the special jack.
By the way, in your experience with the 150 models, do you find it necessary to remove the belly pan to replace the battery? My battery is almost 12 years old and I will have to replace it very soon. It looks to me like the muffler brace has to be removed and I see no way to get to the bottom bolt that holds it without removing the belly pan. The manual I have makes no mention of having to do that!

Cobra-R

I have a very slight leak from a water sensor located on the left side of the engine and cannot get to it easily. It is not serious enough for me to tilt the cab now but I am concerned about having to do it some day and do not have the special jack.
By the way, in your experience with the 150 models, do you find it necessary to remove the belly pan to replace the battery? My battery is almost 12 years old and I will have to replace it very soon. It looks to me like the muffler brace has to be removed and I see no way to get to the bottom bolt that holds it without removing the belly pan. The manual I have makes no mention of having to do that!

If you remove the muffler support brackets, you can squeeze the battery out, but it is tight. Screw the terminal nuts on the battery and clamp a vise grip onto each nut to lift it out. Good luck.

Brian