• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new (USED) dump

shadow

I was looking at get a 6 wheeler with a lift and was wondering what size engine you need to pull 54000lbs. And how much dose a new truck coast. what truck is better a full tandam or a six with a lift. I work for a company that has a 20000lbs machince that is towed now with a 550 and we also haul a lot of materiel. i was thinking that a stright six is too small but a i would feel dumb with 3 tons of sand on a ten or triaxle

shadow

I was wondering if 160,000$ new is about how much these trucks coast

mitch504

The disadvantage to a single screw w/ a liftable axle is much less traction, they will get stuck on a banana peel

shadow

Why are so many used trucks axle out so they do not meet the standers for axle weight the dot put out there. Are truck like this over register for weight and you could still get an over weight ticket. For exaple a ten wheeler has 14000lbs front axle and 46000lbs rears witch is 60000lbs but in the state of ct the back can only hold 36000lbs and the front is allow 14000 witch would give the truck a gross weight of 50000lbs even thought it is registered now for 53800lbs so if the truck is stop it is 3800lbs over axle weight. how would you get this truck up to its maxim weight it can weigh would the be to replace the front axle with a 18000lbs axle.

So the six wheelers with a lift axle the axle should hold 20000lbs on the steer and 20000lbs on the lift and 36000 on the rear drive so when you back in on one axle you don't break it. This would be the only way to get the full 53800lbs weight allowed on a 3 axle dump truck

For the new 6 with a lift could you find 24.5in tire and rims for the steer that support 18000lbs and low pro 19.5in dual rims a tire for the lift a 18000 and 24.5in rims and tier for the drive that support over 30000lbs

Last edited:

ctkiteboarding

truck has been great , i never really put alot of time into the weights per rim and axle, the front is 16k, id have to look to confirm, truck is reg at 53k , seems to hold that very well , i think she would be fine at 60k but the reg isn't their so im at 51k 52k when i run the highway, this is a local truck for the most part , all good questions , hell if i know the answer

shadow

have you taken the truck off road and has it ever gotten stuck. Do you know how well they perform on new house job sites on just drit when its resinble dry not mud

shadow

i would feel dump with a ten wheel with 3tons of sand in the back with all the extra tiers on the ground

shadow

how long is your truck from the center of the front axle to the pintail hook

ctkiteboarding

yes its a 1982 12ton built by a company named custom trailer it has custom 12 welded to the back so i guess thats the model,,, been a very good trailer ive owned it since 1989, the middle deck has a larger hatch to access the inside tires makes it easy to change other then unloading :(

Attachments

• 97 3500 044.JPG
    97 3500 044.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 266
Last edited: